RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panoramic View Monitor added after purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 07:37 AM
17RX350F
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Panoramic View Monitor added after purchase?

I really wanted the 360 view feature and realized I do not have this on my 17 RX350 FSport. I have the blind spot monitor and when I build one it only shows the whole package?

Is it possible to add this option now that I already have my car? I would think just the switch for it and a camera could be integrated into the navigation system but was not sure if this was even an option I could consider?

I thought I would ask the group if anyone else has done this or thought about it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-17, 08:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I think this system is added to the Series 3 F sport, plus a bunch of other options, ML, Pano roof etc. I don't see why anything couldn't be added but I would guess it would be very expensive. I couldn't find anywhere that someone had done this. Some people have added front and rear ends from an F sport and wheels, but that's all I could find. Maybe the dealer could help?
Old 03-16-17, 08:52 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Usually you can't add something like this after purchase. The dealer will not do it for you either. It would be very expensive to do so if you could on your own. The front camera alone is close to $1000; wouldn't be surprised if the side mirror cameras were more than $1000 each plus the wiring equipment. Probably be looking at almost $4000 in just parts.

You're better off adjusting your mirrors to tilt to see the floor when parking.

You could go aftermarket and install a front camera. Beat Sonic has a setup for a front camera for cars that don't have this option. Here's a link: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/cs5ep.html

Last edited by dchar; 03-16-17 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BriGuy832 (06-13-20)
Old 03-16-17, 09:26 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Side mirror cameras are integrated into the mirror housing, so they won't be just plug-n-play either. So you're looking at replacing the front grill (to house the camera), plus the 1k camera, plus replacing both side mirrors. And didn't someone say the backup camera with the pano view is different from the base camera? Not to mention whatever logic that possibly needs to be reprogrammed on the head unit; and any alignment of the cameras required in a retrofit like that.

All in all, it might actually cost less to trade in your car and get the upper model of the F-Sport 3 with the pano cameras already included...
Old 03-16-17, 09:50 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

The others are right and it would be very costly to add this feature IF it were possible to do.
Old 01-01-18, 07:06 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone look into this further?

If if anything the backup camera is horrible when compared to Mercedes.
Old 01-01-18, 09:00 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don’t even think it’s worth looking further.
You would have to get 3 cameras, new two mirror housings, new front grille, wiring harness, new software, + installation.
Thousands of dollars.
ggebhardt (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 12:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

As others have said, not only would the parts likely cost several thousand dollars, but the installation cost of those parts could well exceed the cost of the parts.

Further, with all of the wiring and re-wiring work that would need to be done, I would be concerned about the possibility that a mistake in doing the wiring could cause cause problems with the car's electronics, and I'm confident in guessing that the factory warranty would be voided should there be any issues that could be tied to the work done to install the 360 degree camera. Also, with all of the wiring work and with all of the things that would have to be taken apart to do that work, I would be concerned about the possibility that new squeaks and rattles might be introduced to the vehicle.

The course of action that would make sense to me would be to live without the 360 degree camera, and, if I really felt a need for the 360 degree camera, rather than trying to retrofit the car with one, it would, for a variety of reasons, including cost, make more sense to trade the car for one that came equipped with the 360 degree camera.
Old 03-05-18, 11:22 AM
new2us
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feature wise obvious not going to be as well integrated nor as pretty as OEM BUT panoramic retrofit with 4 cams is not as expensive as imagined.

On ebay search for "360 bird view dvr display"

$250 for systems with display (navtool not needed)

$150 without display (navtool needed for integration)
​​​​​​Navtool runs around $300

The calibration drop cloths are a pricy $25 for what they are material wise.

Installation rightly would be the most expensive part if not DIY.

Last edited by new2us; 03-05-18 at 12:14 PM.
PredatorRx (10-12-19)
Old 08-08-18, 10:27 AM
bobbr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 RX350 - Birds Eye View Feature

Hello. My 2017 RX350 has the Intuitive Parking Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert & Automatic Braking features.

Is it still possible to add the birds eye view feature on the RX?

I find this feature very helpful in my wife's MB C300 especially when backing up and during lateral parking.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-18, 11:27 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbr
Hello. My 2017 RX350 has the Intuitive Parking Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert & Automatic Braking features.

Is it still possible to add the birds eye view feature on the RX?

I find this feature very helpful in my wife's MB C300 especially when backing up and during lateral parking.

Thanks!
bobbr (08-08-18)
Old 08-08-18, 12:55 PM
bobbr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Thank you. Adding this option after the purchase probably will cost an arm and leg.. :-(
Old 10-10-19, 09:09 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by new2us
Feature wise obvious not going to be as well integrated nor as pretty as OEM BUT panoramic retrofit with 4 cams is not as expensive as imagined.

On ebay search for "360 bird view dvr display"

$250 for systems with display (navtool not needed)

$150 without display (navtool needed for integration)
​​​​​​Navtool runs around $300

The calibration drop cloths are a pricy $25 for what they are material wise.

Installation rightly would be the most expensive part if not DIY.
Do you know if anyone who has actually installed one of these systems? If so, how do they like it, and which one did they use? Thanks
Old 01-06-20, 06:42 AM
RX450hLhun
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 2020 RX 360° camera installation - possible?

My 2020RX doesn't have the 360°camera system, it has only the backview camera. Do you have any info, is it perhaps possible to install the other 3 cameras (front + 2 sidemirrors) and integrate them into the system? Or no way, if I want this feature, I should buy an other car which is originally equipped with this system?
Old 01-06-20, 09:02 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RX450hLhun
My 2020RX doesn't have the 360°camera system, it has only the backview camera. Do you have any info, is it perhaps possible to install the other 3 cameras (front + 2 sidemirrors) and integrate them into the system? Or no way, if I want this feature, I should buy an other car which is originally equipped with this system?
It would be extremely cost prohibitive to try to install this at this stage. There are factory wires that are run to the various points (mirrors, front grill) that simply don't exist without the factory installed 360. I'm sure you could find "something" aftermarket, but it wouldn't really integrate to the factory system. You're better off buying it from the factory.
mspearl95 (01-06-20)

Quick Reply: Panoramic View Monitor added after purchase?