RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Park assist going haywire in rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 04:14 PM
gdavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful reply, lesz. I appreciate it!
Old 12-07-18, 05:09 PM
Antonio195
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just posted the same or similar problem with my 2017 RX-350 F Sport, the first time it occurred was 9/09 during heavy rain and came on as I was taking an exit ramp. Then it occurred 11/24 as I was coming to a stop and continued flashing and beeping intermittently. Today I picked my car up from the dealership for the 3rd time since September and insisted on escalating the problem with the Service Director. The problem you describe happens to me, however the Lexus Engineers could not diagnose the problem despite my having videos and pictures from the driver's seat of the occurrences. SO, the Service Director has opened a case with Lexus Corporate to "hopefully" find a resolution. This is not my primary vehicle, so these incidents have occurred when I'm on road trips. For now, they have deactivated the Parking Assist function and promised I will hear back by Tuesday, 12/11. I'm sorry you're having this problem, but glad someone else has experienced it for the sake of my sanity!!
The following users liked this post:
Sarahlsu1 (05-11-19)
Old 12-08-18, 04:00 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio195
I just posted the same or similar problem with my 2017 RX-350 F Sport, the first time it occurred was 9/09 during heavy rain and came on as I was taking an exit ramp. Then it occurred 11/24 as I was coming to a stop and continued flashing and beeping intermittently. Today I picked my car up from the dealership for the 3rd time since September and insisted on escalating the problem with the Service Director. The problem you describe happens to me, however the Lexus Engineers could not diagnose the problem despite my having videos and pictures from the driver's seat of the occurrences. SO, the Service Director has opened a case with Lexus Corporate to "hopefully" find a resolution. This is not my primary vehicle, so these incidents have occurred when I'm on road trips. For now, they have deactivated the Parking Assist function and promised I will hear back by Tuesday, 12/11. I'm sorry you're having this problem, but glad someone else has experienced it for the sake of my sanity!!
Happened to me once when on the freeway in very bad, wet conditions - after a couple of days it was back to normal and hasn't reappeared......yet.

I'm not surprised Lexus couldn't work it out, unless they get an error message which pinpoints the issue most techs these days are useless at diagnosing. Anything more then basic issues and off to the auto electrician they go to sort the problem.
Old 12-10-18, 08:07 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

2017 450h FSport- This happened to me again multiple times while driving in the rain last night, as it seems to more often than not. I did notice a pattern to it this time though. After driving in the rain for awhile, then coming to a stop at a stoplight, the front parking sensors would activate, like i was too close to something, and then a few seconds later the 'clean parking sensor/ICS unavailable' error would show up on the instrument panel, and would stay on until i came to a stop for a few minutes, when the error would clear and everything would be fine again. This same sequence happened 3 or 4 times. I'm wondering, since it seems to happen excessively with the new RX(never happened at all in my 13ES, in four years of driving it), if it is something to do with the sensor locations, and water running down onto them off the hood/grill when coming to a stop. And I'm wondering too if it happens more to F-sports vs standard models, because of the different grille configuration.
Old 12-10-18, 11:37 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Interesting, mine's an F Sport too.
Old 12-12-18, 08:52 PM
SexseeLexi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mspearl95
2017 450h FSport- This happened to me again multiple times while driving in the rain last night, as it seems to more often than not. I did notice a pattern to it this time though. After driving in the rain for awhile, then coming to a stop at a stoplight, the front parking sensors would activate, like i was too close to something, and then a few seconds later the 'clean parking sensor/ICS unavailable' error would show up on the instrument panel, and would stay on until i came to a stop for a few minutes, when the error would clear and everything would be fine again. This same sequence happened 3 or 4 times. I'm wondering, since it seems to happen excessively with the new RX(never happened at all in my 13ES, in four years of driving it), if it is something to do with the sensor locations, and water running down onto them off the hood/grill when coming to a stop. And I'm wondering too if it happens more to F-sports vs standard models, because of the different grille configuration.
This exactly has happened to me , heavy rain. This shouldnt happen to a car of this calibre. Anyone have the dealer replace the sensors yet?
Old 12-17-18, 04:49 PM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this issue. I cleaned the sensors but kept missing the one in the front center. I kept cleaning the “L” thinking that was the sensor. Once I cleaned the center sensor the issue went away.
Old 12-22-18, 11:23 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Originally Posted by SCRXOwner
I have had this issue. I cleaned the sensors but kept missing the one in the front center. I kept cleaning the “L” thinking that was the sensor. Once I cleaned the center sensor the issue went away.
where is the center sensor? I only see 4.
Old 12-23-18, 07:50 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Default Center Sensor below the L

Center right below the L on the front

Last edited by SCRXOwner; 12-23-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-23-18, 07:57 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

how dirty is your vehicle/ sensors. damn !!! lol
Old 12-23-18, 08:39 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Center right below the L on the front

thats the front camera
Old 12-23-18, 09:17 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Yep, until I cleaned that front center camera the issued persistented. I had cleaned the L multiple times and the other sensors I think that there is a camera/sensor behind the L as well

Last edited by SCRXOwner; 12-23-18 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-23-18, 04:31 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Just to clarify this parking sensor placement - there are 4 parking sensors on the front of all versions of RX which have the system. Front corner sensors are under the headlights and 2 sensors are in the grille area towards the left and right edges. Below the Lexus logo is a camera, a camera only and has no relationship to the parking sensors. The Lexus logo is where the radar emits/receives it's signals an again has no relationship with the parking sensors.

I would suggest that if cleaning the "camera" made the parking sensors work again it was purely coincidental. My parking sensors have played-up twice in two years, both times have I've been on the freeway in torrential rain, I've arrived home and the sensors went "crazy", lasted for a day or two and then all good again. And that's without cleaning anything - I assume water must get in somewhere that confuses the system until it dries out.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSFRX350:
mcomer (01-15-19), ronny8850 (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 01:07 AM
ronny8850
Driver School Candidate

Angry Any update on your park assist problem.

Originally Posted by rx4live
i just bought a rx 350 (first time Lexus buyer), i like the car but there might something wrong with my parking assist. Normally, the park assist works fine but on raining days, the sensors would go haywire with message like sensors are dirty need cleaning or detecting object in the front and back that doesn't exist (not even heavy rain).

I am just wondering is this normal, has anyone else had a similar experience?
==================================================================
I am having exactly the same problem on my 2018 RX300FSport, collected in Nov 2018. Firstly it was at abt 1,000km - it was rectified then by Lexus Dealer and was told that they replaced the front centre sensor on the the front grille. Now, the same problem has repeated itself at 2,000km yesterday. I need to know what is happening- seems like a Quality issue ! Anyone knows how this problem was solved. My car is resonably clean. Problem occured after normal rain. Not high pressure jet of any sort.
Old 01-15-19, 01:38 PM
RCFRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronny8850
==================================================================
I am having exactly the same problem on my 2018 RX300FSport, collected in Nov 2018. Firstly it was at abt 1,000km - it was rectified then by Lexus Dealer and was told that they replaced the front centre sensor on the the front grille. Now, the same problem has repeated itself at 2,000km yesterday. I need to know what is happening- seems like a Quality issue ! Anyone knows how this problem was solved. My car is resonably clean. Problem occured after normal rain. Not high pressure jet of any sort.
I've brought my RX F-Sport to the dealership a few times already regarding the clean your sensors error message. My car is garaged and kept reasonably clean. My latest appointment, I drove with a technician and showed him my recorded videos (Car was spotless in the videos. I did a walk around of the car and zoomed in on the sensors). He states, "In my 11 years, I have yet to replace one. The sensors are programmed more sensitive now and it's normal to get the warning message in rainy or inclement conditions." I got the car back after they ran diagnostics and everything was deemed to be normal.

Here are my two scenarios when the message to clean the ICS sensors appears. The sensors operate normally when there is dirt or snow. After a hard rain shower or light rain, however, I begin to see the error message.
(1) Sunny weather. Car is parked in a parking lot. It starts to rain while I am gone
(2) I return and start up the car (no error message to clean my sensors)
(3) Put in reverse (no error message)
(4) Put in drive and start driving (error message from parking sensors that I am closed to a front object pops up first. Then error message to clean my sensors starts nonstop)
(5) Turn off car (error message goes away)
(6) Repeat (same situation)

The other scenario is
(1) Drive on the highway in heavy rain (no error message)
(2) Slow down and exit to about 15-20 mph (error message starts appearing telling me to clean the ICS sensors)
(3) Come to complete stop at a light (error message exists, but then goes away)
(4) Start driving again from complete stop (error message appears)
(5) If I go back onto the highway and start driving faster, the error message goes away

As an owner of several Lexus vehicles, I am baffled that my local Lexus dealership has refused to do anything. I have the scenarios documented. Also, I have many recorded videos to show when the warning displays. My Lexus dealership won't replaced any of the sensors because they say the sensors are operating normally. I believe the issue has to be with one or more of the front sensors. I have a F-Sport model. I believe due to the design of the grille, there could be a leak or an opened seal around the sensors. I carry microfiber cloths to wipe the sensors when I get the message. However, that doesn't appear to help as long as it's raining.
The following users liked this post:
ronny8850 (01-15-19)

Quick Reply: Park assist going haywire in rain