RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Parchment leather ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 05:58 PM
chicchick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parchment leather ?

Im looking to trade in my current 2015 Fsport Nebula/Saddle leather.Going into the dealer I said I wanted dark leather because I was always worried about wear and tear and dirt.Than I see the parchement leather with the bamboo trim and light brown ( thats how I refer to it as ) and I love the contrast.It makes the whole interior pop in my opinion.My worry is that the light leather will show the dirt or transfer pants dye and such.Do you find this to be an issue? Ive always gotten the paint and leather protection and the salesman insured me that it would cover any issues with the leather getting dirty, is this factual?

I appreciate your help, I do love it, but that is only hesitation on color.I did look at all black interior and it just seems so dark.

Thank you
Old 03-06-17, 06:12 PM
kalcris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thoughts. Went to look at Lcert 2016 white/black, ended up with a white parchment/bamboo. Just liked it better I wouldn't bother with interior protection, and for the price the dealer will charge, paint protection - shop around.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 01:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

These protection services are a money maker for the dealer and way overpriced.
aznkorboi (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 03:21 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Have parchment in both our cars. We both wear jeans all winter and never had a dye problem. We would never have anything but a light interior. IMO looks better, cooler and makes the interior look larger. Once every six weeks clean the leather with Zaino leather cleaner and a soft shoe polish brush to agitate the cleaner. Wipe off and done in five minutes. Leather smells like new again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
aznkorboi (03-07-17), greyhndfan (09-17-22)
Old 03-07-17, 04:09 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

My wife has black leather in her car. I really don't like it too much. It's just way too dark.

I opted for strattus grey in my car. It's not as delicate as parchment I don't think but it stains just as easy.

I had a waterproof seat cover on my car and left a homer's orange bucket on top for a week. A week later it left an indent as well as orange stains on the seat.

Here are a few things I purchased:

Amazon Amazon

- good for gently brushing the leather and cleaning it every month

Just use some woolite and warm water to clean the seats

Amazon Amazon

- nice strong cleaner if you have any stains like coffee or pen that is more difficult to remove

Amazon Amazon

- A MUST for light leather. Strong cleaner alone did not work on the dye transfer stain. THIS did. THe key is to gently blot and create foam. THere are videos on how to do this

Amazon Amazon

- a good barrier I found for all leather parts, steering wheel, middle area, doors, etc. I also do a few layers on the seats but found out that it is not enough for dye transfer.

Amazon Amazon
- A MUST for dye transfer on seats. I did about 4 layers on each seat and so far no issues.

Keep maintaining and you'll be fine. ALso, vacuum weekly. Tiny little abrasive particles rubbing against your leg and the leather is what causes it to crack!
chicchick (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 04:34 AM
chicchick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Freds430
Have parchment in both our cars. We both wear jeans all winter and never had a dye problem. We would never have anything but a light interior. IMO looks better, cooler and makes the interior look larger. Once every six weeks clean the leather with Zaino leather cleaner and a soft shoe polish brush to agitate the cleaner. Wipe off and done in five minutes. Leather smells like new again.

Thank you for sharing, I agree that light interior looks better but after having colored leathers before I wasn't sure if I would regret it.
Old 03-07-17, 04:36 AM
chicchick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kalcris
I had the same thoughts. Went to look at Lcert 2016 white/black, ended up with a white parchment/bamboo. Just liked it better I wouldn't bother with interior protection, and for the price the dealer will charge, paint protection - shop around.
How long have you had your Rex with the parchment/bamboo? No dye transfers or such on the seats?
thank you
Old 03-07-17, 05:38 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

IME every vehicle that I have owned over the years (from various brands) that had the light leather interior showed the dye transfer at one time no matter how well the interior was cared for. Our current RX has the cabernet interior and you can see some dye transfer from time to time.

Even on my previous black interiors you may not see the dye transfer on the seats but it's there. Once you clean and condition the seats you will see the blue dye transfer to your cleaning pad.

Since I am very OCD with my vehicles, as soon as I take delivery one of the first things I do is clean & condition the seats. This way if we get any dye transfer it usually comes off without too much effort.

With that being said, if me or my wife are wearing very dark jeans we will usually sit on an old pillow case. I know it sounds crazy but after a bad dye transfer experience back in 2004 with a new MDX I would prefer not to take any chances.
chicchick (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 09:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Only time I have seen my jean's dye transfer to my seat was in my LS460. I had used the stuff that Lexus sells for the seats and may not have wiped it all off. Have used to Maguire's Natural Shine ever since and had zero problems.
Old 03-07-17, 04:06 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have owned 4 Lexus (1ES + 3 RX) and all had the semi analine leather interior. After 8 years had to replace a panel in drivers seat on ES. Never a problem with dye transfer.from jeans. I use Lexol leather conditioner every two months. Leather always
looks new. IMO a great and comfortable product. BTW all have been parchment. My latest 2016 RX has parchment semi analine with the brown dash, etc. Eminent White Pearl exterior.
Old 03-07-17, 04:13 PM
chicchick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donmatt
Have owned 4 Lexus (1ES + 3 RX) and all had the semi analine leather interior. After 8 years had to replace a panel in drivers seat on ES. Never a problem with dye transfer.from jeans. I use Lexol leather conditioner every two months. Leather always
looks new. IMO a great and comfortable product. BTW all have been parchment. My latest 2016 RX has parchment semi analine with the brown dash, etc. Eminent White Pearl exterior.
That is the combo I am looking at and test drove, I really liked it.Thank you for your experiences, makes me feel better about light leather.
Old 03-07-17, 05:20 PM
kalcris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had the rx for a month. no dye transfer yet. I traded a GX that had a saddle interior. That was a constant chase against blue discoloration, especially on the outside edge. These rx seats have the brown trim that should mitigate most of the rubbing that transferred to the light color seat.
Old 09-13-17, 07:57 PM
khenders
10th Gear

Default Is the Parchment Leather Interior Difficult to Keep Clean with Kids?

I really love the parchment leather with bamboo wood trim. I am looking into the noble brown as an alternate. I currently have a 2007 GX 470 that has a light brown interior. The wear and tear shows for a 10 year old vehicle from the headliner (light color) to floormats. However, I have not done very well on cleaning and maintaining the leather with kids.

1. What color is the headliner with this package?
2. What do most DIYers do to clean lighter colored seats?
3. Have you found that the darker is just better with kids?

Last edited by khenders; 09-13-17 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 08:44 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by khenders
I really love the parchment leather with bamboo wood trim. I am looking into the noble brown as an alternate. I currently have a 2007 GX 470 that has a light brown interior and the wear and tear shows for a 10 year old vehicle. However, I have not done very well on cleaning and maintaining with kids.

1. What color is the headliner with this package?
2. What do most DIYers do to clean lighter colored seats?
3. Have you found that the darker is just better with kids?
Here in SoCal we use a lot of sunscreen and black doors always look awful. You can see sunscreen all over on black. Never had this issue when I had parchment interior. My next one will definitely be parchment.
One of my friends told me that he exclusively uses Costco brand baby wipes to clean leather. I am using just any brand of baby wipes and I am very happy with results. I owed my previous RX for a little over than 10 years with parchment interior and it still looked great when it was sold it.
FastFord (09-14-17)
Old 09-14-17, 10:19 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

my 2013 ES had semi- aniline parchment leather, and dye from blue jeans would regularly transfer to the driver's seat, tho it would wash off. Overall easier to keep clean- looking than the black leather i think.
The following 2 users liked this post by mspearl95:
ggebhardt (09-14-17), khenders (09-14-17)

Quick Reply: Parchment leather ?