RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Thinkware F770 dash cam in the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 03:35 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW,

What did you do to the rear camera mount?
More pictures and how?

I've to go throw the rear trunk door wires and get the rear camera on the rear windshield.
Your way will save a lot of work!!

Originally Posted by tomtom74
I got BlackVue DR650GW-2CH. I would recommend dashcam to everyone. Front Camera
Front Camera
Rear Camera
Old 03-09-17, 03:37 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Nigel, that's great to hear.

lexnewbi, I've been trying to get the Lexar 128 GB card to work but keep getting error messages despite formatting it. But I'm not giving up just yet. The wires were tucked below the headliner from the front to the rear. The trim below the rear camera was removed and the line threaded through the rubber grommet. It took a little bit of effort. I guess space is tight. That was after pulling up the bottom part of the grommet. Originally the installer wanted to put the rear camera on the bottom part of the tailgate window thinking the spoiler might create a shadow. After previewing through Live View, I decided it was fine up top. And the window stays cleaner in that area.

Here's pictures showing the wires tucked into the channel from the front camera to the headliner.
There is ONLY ONE BRAND 128GB card will read on Thinkware F770
Try this brand.
https://topmobiles.xyz/wp-content/up...pg-600x600.png

I've installed more than 50 cars with this brand 128GB, so far no problem at all.
Old 04-12-17, 03:13 PM
ifanchu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just installed this dashcam without Cellink battery on my own, pretty good quality, definitely recommend it.
Old 04-12-17, 08:49 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ifanchu
just installed this dashcam without Cellink battery on my own, pretty good quality, definitely recommend it.
i also installed a Thinkware 770 dashcam. Powered from the rear view mirror connector with a MirrorTap. Routed the cable to rear view camera behind the curtain airbag through the hatch grommet on the right side and stuck to the rear window.

So so far, I like the camera. I have set it up with 0 volume level and no direct battery connection. Every four or so starts of the car, the dash cam will make a startup sound. Not sure why it does that. Every couple of weeks it will tell you several times to format the SD card. Otherwise it is silent, unless you press a button. It has a nice feature of letting you know when you approach an intersection that a red light camera is present, if it is in its database. The database seems to be updated every quarter or so.
Old 05-03-17, 04:02 AM
fish225
Driver School Candidate

Do you have pictures of how you mounted your dashcam on the plastic housing? I'm in the same situation and trying to figure out the best place to mount my F770.
Is a CellLink necessary? How quick would the camera drain the car battery?
Old 05-03-17, 07:22 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fish225
Do you have pictures of how you mounted your dashcam on the plastic housing? I'm in the same situation and trying to figure out the best place to mount my F770.
Is a CellLink necessary? How quick would the camera drain the car battery?
I mounted the cameras on the glass. The front one is behind the rear view mirror but on the passenger side. I did not center the camera on the windshield since it would block part of my view. I did not want to see it. I used a mirror tap cable and got power from the rear view mirror harness. I connected both power cables to the harness accessory power. I could have connected one of the cables to an always on power, but was afraid the camera would drain the battery. So whenever I turn off the car, the camera turns off. If you add the CellLink, then it can power from it.

The rear view camera is also mounted on the glass next to plastic cover. Mounting on the plastic cover would have place it lower than on the glasss. The glass mount is also more robust and allows me to remove the plastic cover in the future, if needed. Let me take some pictures and post them later.

I got a Lexar 633x 128GB SD card recommended by Several places online, that usually records for one week with a long commute to work. The 64GB card last about 2- 3 days.

Last edited by lexnewbi; 05-03-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 07:48 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
WOW,

What did you do to the rear camera mount?
More pictures and how?

I've to go throw the rear trunk door wires and get the rear camera on the rear windshield.
Your way will save a lot of work!!
I used double L-shaped bracket. Tucked one end of bracket inside of headliner and placed with double sided tape and attached camera on other side with double sided tape.
Old 05-06-17, 06:58 PM
fish225
Driver School Candidate

Hello. Need some advise here. Looking to hardwire my Thinkware F770 to a VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS. However, I'm reading that it is not recommended because the Thinkware's Parking Mode does not function properly. What should I do???

Here's my thought... Hookup the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS as instructed. Use the hardwiring kit for the Thinkware and connect the battery and ground to a cigarrete adapter to connect to the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS. Connect the ACC wire of the hardwire kit to a power source on the fuse box that's power-on only when ignition is on. The logic is that the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS is suppose to provide constant power as long as the voltage is above the threshold. The ACC source from the hardwire kit will loose power when car gets turned off. That would trigger the feed to come from the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS cigarette adapter which the hardwire kit thinks it's a constant battery source. Once the threshold is met, VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS will cut power and prevent complete battery drain. What do you think?

Apologies for blabbering on. I have included a quick hand drawn diagram. Thanks in advance!

The following users liked this post:
NDLexus (09-02-17)
Old 05-06-17, 07:42 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Hello. Need some advise here. Looking to hardwire my Thinkware F770 to a VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS. However, I'm reading that it is not recommended because the Thinkware's Parking Mode does not function properly. What should I do???

Here's my thought... Hookup the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS as instructed. Use the hardwiring kit for the Thinkware and connect the battery and ground to a cigarrete adapter to connect to the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS. Connect the ACC wire of the hardwire kit to a power source on the fuse box that's power-on only when ignition is on. The logic is that the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS is suppose to provide constant power as long as the voltage is above the threshold. The ACC source from the hardwire kit will loose power when car gets turned off. That would trigger the feed to come from the VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS cigarette adapter which the hardwire kit thinks it's a constant battery source. Once the threshold is met, VicoVation Vico-Power PLUS will cut power and prevent complete battery drain. What do you think?
To me, it seems redundant since the Thinkware camera has temperature sensors, as well as, a timer and voltage comparator that shuts down the unit if the timer expires or the battery voltage drops below the programmed value.

The Thinkware needs power in both battery and accessory leads to function. If the output of the VicoVation is at a different voltage than the accessory (very typical if this voltage is being regulated), you can create a high current path through the supplies of the camera that is trying to equalize both voltages and drain your battery. If you are concerned about battery draining, then I would recommend the Cellink B battery instead.
Old 05-07-17, 04:51 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

fish225, the Multi Safer hardwiring kit is compatible with Thinkware F770. It also lets you record in parking mode. There's a few installation videos out there. That would probably work well if you only have the front camera. Cellink is the way to go for dual channel. And installation was much easier since it only required running wires. No tapping into fuses though you can for faster charging. I bought a $20 power converter to charge at home. Wouldn't be necessary if I drove more.
The following users liked this post:
NDLexus (09-02-17)
Old 05-07-17, 08:07 AM
fish225
Driver School Candidate

Hi lexnewbi! Thanks for the reply. Does the built-in function of the thinkware work? I dont' see it mentioned in the manual at all. I do recall seeing something about voltage in the system menu.
I don't think the VicoVation is a voltage regulation. I thought it is suppose to just monitor the voltage drop and cut power to it's output if it drops below the set point?

The Cellink B doesn't work for me as if I leave my car parked for extended period of time its battery will die and cannot be charged by the triggle charger I have connected to the car battery.
Old 05-07-17, 08:20 AM
fish225
Driver School Candidate

Hi kitlz, thanks for the referral. Will do some more research on it. I do have a dual cam setup. I would've gotten the cellink but it wouldn't work for the reasons I posted before about long term parking.
Old 05-07-17, 08:32 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Hi lexnewbi! Thanks for the reply. Does the built-in function of the thinkware work? I dont' see it mentioned in the manual at all. I do recall seeing something about voltage in the system menu.
I don't think the VicoVation is a voltage regulation. I thought it is suppose to just monitor the voltage drop and cut power to it's output if it drops below the set point?

The Cellink B doesn't work for me as if I leave my car parked for extended period of time its battery will die and cannot be charged by the triggle charger I have connected to the car battery.
I have not personally tested the auto-shutoff since I wired everything to the accessory power from the mirror. I am planning on getting a Cellilnk soon. The manual on page 26 states:
Device auto- Timer :
Sets the timer for the dash cam to automatically shut down in parking mode to prevent From draining the vehicle battery

Device auto- Voltage :
Sets the voltage level for the dash cam to automatically shut down if the dash cam detects voltage level lower than configured value for more than 5 minutes in order to prevent from draining the vehicle battery
Old 05-07-17, 12:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi kitlz, thanks for the referral. Will do some more research on it. I do have a dual cam setup. I would've gotten the cellink but it wouldn't work for the reasons I posted before about long term parking.
Sounds like you're more interested in using the Thinkware for parking mode more than anything. But even if you have constant power, the micro SD card will probably overwrite the card. We're talking hours if recording in continuous mode. Right now I have mine programmed at the lowest levels for parking mode and motion detection. Still it turns on with the slightest movement including a light turning on. Rain too. It basically captures a lot of nonsense.

The BlackVue DR650S might have been better for the over the cloud feature.
Old 06-19-17, 12:39 PM
dudeiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I have the same setup as kitlz(f770+celllink bat + connected to the cig 12v). So far the dashcam is working like a champ.

Whenever i turn the car off, the dashcam will go into parking mode. it there anyway to keep it continuous recording even with the car turned off?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Thinkware F770 dash cam in the RX450h