RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Turn Off Side Mirror Auto-Dimming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 08:38 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Turn Off Side Mirror Auto-Dimming?

Has anyone ever done this yet? After front window tint, the auto-dimming side mirrors makes it more difficult to see objects at night, so I'd like to turn this feature off.
Old 02-15-17, 09:23 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I do not believe there is a way to do this in any of the menu.

You could take the cover off and cut the wire to that function, maybe.
Old 02-15-17, 11:49 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

According to the manual when in automatic anti-glare mode the inside rear view mirrors are linked to the outside rear view mirrors. By turning off the inside mirror anti-glare function using the on/off button might disable the anti-glare function on all the mirrors. I haven't tried this but after reading the manual it seems logical that it would disable them all.
Old 02-16-17, 01:54 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by 16rx350
According to the manual when in automatic anti-glare mode the inside rear view mirrors are linked to the outside rear view mirrors. By turning off the inside mirror anti-glare function using the on/off button might disable the anti-glare function on all the mirrors. I haven't tried this but after reading the manual it seems logical that it would disable them all.
I will also give it a shot this am. Good find!
Old 02-16-17, 07:23 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to keep turning off the mirror everytime you start the car.

An easy fix around this is to put a piece of electrical tape over the sensor tricking it to think it's always dark so it won't ever dim.
Old 03-03-17, 12:32 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 16rx350
I tried this and I didn't notice a difference. Anyone else try it yet?
Old 02-10-18, 10:14 PM
MartinLoga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes - Found this out by a bad install from a shop

Originally Posted by Darith
Has anyone ever done this yet? After front window tint, the auto-dimming side mirrors makes it more difficult to see objects at night, so I'd like to turn this feature off.
I needed a new drivers side LH mirror replaced. In addition, I replaced both motors since the reverse tilt-down stopped working intermittently on both the LH & RH mirrors. The shop accidentally put the mirror wires on backwards on both the LH & RH mirrors that control the auto-dimming at night. I took them off myself to inspect the problem and they were indeed switched! For your purposes, its a quick fix. On the mirror, it has W for (White colored connector) & B (Black colored connector). Here's a pic of how to connect/eliminate (switch the wires) auto-dimming. B to White & W to Black. Stops Auto-Dimming. FYI the correct way for auto-dimming is B to black & W to white.
Old 03-14-18, 01:04 PM
jabe999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than rewiring my mirrors, there is no way to turn this off all the time?
Old 03-14-18, 06:44 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Turn it off on the rear view mirror it disables the side mirror dimming also.
Old 03-15-18, 01:27 AM
jabe999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
Turn it off on the rear view mirror it disables the side mirror dimming also.
I understand how to push the button on the rear view mirror. I realize it turns off the side mirrors also. I would like to find a way for it to never turn on. Or better yet, push the button to turn it on!
Old 02-28-20, 07:46 AM
NavyVet
Driver School Candidate

Default Related question

Originally Posted by MartinLoga
I needed a new drivers side LH mirror replaced. In addition, I replaced both motors since the reverse tilt-down stopped working intermittently on both the LH & RH mirrors. The shop accidentally put the mirror wires on backwards on both the LH & RH mirrors that control the auto-dimming at night. I took them off myself to inspect the problem and they were indeed switched! For your purposes, its a quick fix. On the mirror, it has W for (White colored connector) & B (Black colored connector). Here's a pic of how to connect/eliminate (switch the wires) auto-dimming. B to White & W to Black. Stops Auto-Dimming. FYI the correct way for auto-dimming is B to black & W to white.
We just bought a used 2016 RX 350 last week and noticed that there is damage to the driver's side mirror. How do we know if there is auto-dimming or not? We have the Premium package on this with blind side monitor with rear traffic alert and the Safety System Plus. How do we find out what SKU the replacement mirror should be (both OEM SKU and aftermarket)?
Old 02-29-20, 09:36 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyVet
We just bought a used 2016 RX 350 last week and noticed that there is damage to the driver's side mirror. How do we know if there is auto-dimming or not? We have the Premium package on this with blind side monitor with rear traffic alert and the Safety System Plus. How do we find out what SKU the replacement mirror should be (both OEM SKU and aftermarket)?
Auto dimming mirrors are indeed included with premium package https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...d-Brochure.pdf
Old 11-11-21, 05:22 PM
Nytron
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This feature is a huge safety issue. I found it very difficult to lane change during a sunset commute home from work when this feature randomly kicked in for me. I didn't even know this car had this feature.

If you have a pickup truck behind you, your side mirrors are basically unusable when its dim or dark out.