RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What to disable before taking to a carwash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 09:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
say, learning the best way to wash by hand or self serv is with the fob not on you, lol
lots of beeps, mirrors folding, things like that. but if in a self serve wash bay, just spraying, where do i put the fob, thought the rear hatch was going to open yesterday.

must be the door sensors all around for locking and unlock and the rear hand sensor.
FOB stays in the house when I'm out washing by hand
Old 02-18-18, 09:55 PM
GregT
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree 100% with all stating that car washes should be avoided big time. Read any car detailing forum and they all rant and rave about the perils to the finish done by car washes. I won’t allow the dealer to perform their complimentary wash when I take my car in. Invest in some quality detailing supplies, and over time, you and your RX will be happier.
Old 02-19-18, 04:09 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GregT
Agree 100% with all stating that car washes should be avoided big time. Read any car detailing forum and they all rant and rave about the perils to the finish done by car washes. I won’t allow the dealer to perform their complimentary wash when I take my car in. Invest in some quality detailing supplies, and over time, you and your RX will be happier.
thats great advise if your climate allows that year round.
Old 02-19-18, 04:53 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Most RX owners do not wash their vehicles. I have, for years, used a car wash that uses cloth rather than the plastic bristles and suffer no damages. I will not allow them to do anything inside the vehicle and do that my self. Most who buy Lexus did not but so they could spend hours washing and waxing.
Old 02-19-18, 10:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Most RX owners do not wash their vehicles. I have, for years, used a car wash that uses cloth rather than the plastic bristles and suffer no damages. I will not allow them to do anything inside the vehicle and do that my self. Most who buy Lexus did not but so they could spend hours washing and waxing.
Most who buy Lexus did not but so they could spend hours washing and waxing - I DID and actually enjoy doing it.
Old 02-20-18, 11:47 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
thats great advise if your climate allows that year round.
There are a lot of detail shops that will do a two-bucket grit guard hand wash and dry for $30. The one I go to is inside a parking garage.
Old 02-20-18, 12:18 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

A fully loaded auto car wash in my area is $10. I can't wash it myself in the winter. Also a hand bucket wash is not going to wash the salt off the undercarriage! Even at $10 the car is dirty a day later here up north but I feel good washing the salt off of it and having it look good for the drive home.
Old 02-21-18, 09:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
A fully loaded auto car wash in my area is $10. I can't wash it myself in the winter. Also a hand bucket wash is not going to wash the salt off the undercarriage! Even at $10 the car is dirty a day later here up north but I feel good washing the salt off of it and having it look good for the drive home.
You can wash it yourself on a 70 degree day like today in the NE
Old 02-22-18, 09:23 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
You can wash it yourself on a 70 degree day like today in the NE
Gonna have to hurry tho......
Old 03-13-18, 03:34 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts
Default High Tech vs. Car Washes

I doubt that Lexus ever planned on the plethora of issues that seem to crop up the second you enter a car wash. Good lord, I have to fold in the damn mirrors, disable the parking sensors, turn off the automatic rain sensing wipers & make damn sure the hybrid battery is fully charged. Toyota hybrids don’t like to be left running & in Neutral. Bad things start to happen if enough time goes by & the battery is low. I got a good laugh out of this video because every word is true, I’m just glad I don’t have the collision avoidance system:
Old 03-19-18, 09:29 AM
GregT
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I doubt that Lexus ever planned on the plethora of issues that seem to crop up the second you enter a car wash. Good lord, I have to fold in the damn mirrors, disable the parking sensors, turn off the automatic rain sensing wipers & make damn sure the hybrid battery is fully charged. Toyota hybrids don’t like to be left running & in Neutral. Bad things start to happen if enough time goes by & the battery is low. I got a good laugh out of this video because every word is true, I’m just glad I don’t have the collision avoidance system:
https://youtu.be/Ed3XzV7v8ko
Funny! Five, out of, probably, 20 of the reasons to avoid car washes altogether. Even 'brush-less' auto car washes are no friend to your paint finish.
Old 03-19-18, 10:22 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

Funny! Five, out of, probably, 20 of the reasons to avoid car washes altogether. Even 'brush-less' auto car washes are no friend to your paint finish.
Unfortunately, car washes are a necessary evil here. The climate is about as harsh as it can get. It’s hot, dry & dusty & our water is some of the hardest (mineral content) on Earth. If I spray my vehicles with my garden hose, I end up with white calcium deposits where every bead of water sat. The humidity is very low, so the water evaporates faster than you can wipe it dry. Usually, the vehicle looks worse after hand washing at home than if I had just left the dirt on. Most car washes use RO water & they recycle most of the water used in a filtering system. About 2 or 3 years ago, it got so dry from lack of rain, that we went into our final stage of water conservation where car washing, lawn watering & pool filling are not allowed. The only reason the ban was lifted was we got a freak tropical rain system (that we rarely get) that lasted for more than a week. Oh, BTW, when we do get spring, summer & fall thunderstorms, they are often severe & contain hail and/or tornados. You won’t find many 10+ year old vehicles with pristine paint in this part of the country, unless it’s been garage kept all its life.
Old 03-19-18, 03:10 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't obsess over car washes, coming back from the skiing in the mountains I stop at the best brush-less car wash available to me - Quick Quack in the Sacramento area. Great car washes, I would go rather there than to any high-end traditional hand-wash. No micro-scratches at all.
Old 03-28-18, 08:39 AM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 2017 RX350, the safety systems are active in neutral. During the middle of a chain/roller type of car wash, twice the system has automatically applied the brake. The car wash people didn't like me stopping in the middle, because it stopped the entire lane of cars.
I had turned the PCS off, (and auto wipers) but didn't realize ICS can also apply the brakes. Will turn that off next time.
Does anyone know for sure if the tail gate sensor is active?

Last edited by Trap; 03-28-18 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 10:53 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2017 RX350 as well and the only thing I've had to turn off was the auto wipers.

Quick Reply: What to disable before taking to a carwash?