RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Scout GPS Link

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 04:43 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Scout GPS Link

Is the "Scout GPS" thing better than just using Google Maps or WAZE on your phone? Does it sense traffic like those two apps?
Old 02-05-17, 07:17 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

NO ONE has used this????
Old 03-16-17, 11:04 PM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in hearing user experiences with Scout as well. Is there another thread I'm missing?

Originally Posted by daryll40
NO ONE has used this????
Old 03-17-17, 01:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
I'm interested in hearing user experiences with Scout as well. Is there another thread I'm missing?
Nope, this is it!
Old 12-10-17, 11:16 AM
Bly47
Driver School Candidate

Default Scout Link GPS

This is the worst app I have ever used. I have had eight Lexus' over the years and all since 2002 have had OEM GPS. I recently leased a 2018 without OEM GPS because I've found myself using either Waze or GoogleMaps more often than the built in GPS because the phone was easier to use, especially if I didn't have an exact address for a place of business. I could do a voice search on my phone with the name of the restaurant, etc. and GoogleMaps would bring it up in a second and take me there. The built in GPS would take forever to find a named place if it found it at all. So I intended to just use my phone on the new car. Then I had the misfortune to read about Scout Link GPS. I'm very technically inclined and I can't get this app to work reliably. Sometimes it will connect but I have never been able to get the voice search to work when connected to my car. (it does work on the phone when not connected to the car). If I save a location to "Likes" their version of favorites and I'm lucky enough to have the app properly connect to the car I can go to "likes" and it will give me turn by turn directions but the whole connection is maybe 7 out of ten times. The other times the app does not connect. Plus there's an even bigger issue. Even after exiting out of the app and even after going into recent apps (android version, I don't know about Apple) and killing the app if you look under settings/developer options/services running in background (you might have to unlock developer options on your phone settings to see this option) the app is still running in the background and burning battery and data. I have had numerous email contacts with the app developer and they have been responsive to me and have admitted that they are aware of the running in background issue and that their engineers are working on a fix. The failure of the voice search to work in the car (and putting in an address by using the mouse is really very difficult and slow, virtually unusable) is, they say, they fault of another company that works with Toyota/Lexus. Toyota/Lexus make great cars but why they think that they can do technology better than Apple or Google, (they can't) is simply a matter of corporate greed. They want to be able to sell you something and that's why they haven't offered Apple Car or Android Auto. Do yourself a favor and forget that you ever heard of Scout Link GPS and use GoogleMaps or Waze.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (02-28-20)
Old 12-19-17, 03:59 PM
comcf
Driver School Candidate

Yes, Scout Link GPS is useless. I can't get it to connect 90% of the time, and then it's just slow and glitchy and useless. Good idea, horrendous execution. It simply doesn't work.
Old 05-19-18, 02:33 AM
Redcar51
Driver School Candidate

Default scout replacement?

Yes, it’s usless. Has anyone found an OEM replacement? (Other than just using my iPhone and Google maps). Is Lexus ever going to replace the system with a better one?
The following users liked this post:
glolo50 (03-01-24)
Old 05-21-18, 04:36 AM
RR99
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcar51
Yes, it’s usless. Has anyone found an OEM replacement? (Other than just using my iPhone and Google maps). Is Lexus ever going to replace the system with a better one?
The next version will support Apple CarPlay... Not sure if Apple Maps are any better but at least they should work...
Old 05-21-18, 08:29 AM
Redcar51
Driver School Candidate

Not to sound stupid, but......will Lexus update current owners (I have a 2017) to the new system? Or are we stuck?
Old 09-22-18, 12:23 AM
dmg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least on Android, Spotify and Waze are integrated. Those two playing through Bluetooth, and the map from Scout showing on the head unit, is better than nothing/scout by itself.

It seems shortsighted for a luxury brand like Lexus to cut corners with Enform and Scout, especially when those things are right in the owner’s face and can lead to so much frustration.

And btw, not sure where that Apple Carplay info came from but I have a 2019, and it came with only Enform/Scout.
Old 09-22-18, 07:08 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by dmg
At least on Android, Spotify and Waze are integrated. Those two playing through Bluetooth, and the map from Scout showing on the head unit, is better than nothing/scout by itself.

It seems shortsighted for a luxury brand like Lexus to cut corners with Enform and Scout, especially when those things are right in the owner’s face and can lead to so much frustration.

And btw, not sure where that Apple Carplay info came from but I have a 2019, and it came with only Enform/Scout.
Apple Carplay is in the new ES and probably coming to all models soon.
Old 09-22-18, 08:42 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Scout is worse than useless, it actually diminished Lexus brand image in my eyes when I attempted to use it. I am very technically savvy, but in my 2017 RX I had an incredibly difficult time hooking it up. My car did not come with GPS. Reason skipped GPS is use Waze on my iPhone X. The only way I was able to integrate Scout is to hook it up through USB port in center console. The app does not actually display any map at all while driving, only direction and just arrows for next turn, as if you are stuck back 10 years. I unplugged it as soon as I realized what garbage I’m dealing with. It is so clunky compared to Waze.

to see reviews from more users, look on the Apple iOS App Store. current reviews sitting at two stars, with headlines such as awful, worthless, worst piece of junk, Etc.

edit... just read reviews the newly updated version of app drains your battery. Do not download it. What a surprise .....not.

Last edited by Rarebird; 09-22-18 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 01:47 PM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Scout Phone App ???????

I am considering and need a navigation system for my new RX. I really would prefer to use an app on my phone like Waze, instead of the Lexus Navigation system. I would prefer NOT to get the Lexus navigation system and use Waze on the phone. A salesman at the Lexus dealer said that I could download a program called Scout and this could be "put" onto the screen on the dashboard.

Anyone ever hear of this? Any good? Would this be a good substitute for purchasing the Lexus navigation system?
Old 10-05-18, 02:39 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by lester123
I am considering and need a navigation system for my new RX. I really would prefer to use an app on my phone like Waze, instead of the Lexus Navigation system. I would prefer NOT to get the Lexus navigation system and use Waze on the phone. A salesman at the Lexus dealer said that I could download a program called Scout and this could be "put" onto the screen on the dashboard.

Anyone ever hear of this? Any good? Would this be a good substitute for purchasing the Lexus navigation system?
Scout GPS has been available on various Lexus models for the last couple of years. The reviews that I've read and the posts that I've seen here on the CL forums would seem to indicate that its functionality is pretty much worthless and that it is not particularly user-friendly.
Old 01-05-19, 06:36 PM
LUX1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Rx350 scout gps will not work

I got 18 RX350 and the scout gps never worked correctly. I got an I-phone and it usually says the system in not available and to try later. We took it to a dealer and they said it’s fine

Last edited by LUX1; 01-05-19 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Scout GPS Link