RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Scout GPS Link

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 07:59 PM
sueszo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I, too recently bought an '18 RX350 and the salesman couldn't get the Scout system to work. He sent me to the tech expert in service and he started from the beginning. He disconnected my phone from the car and paired it back up. He also said that when the salesman originally was setting up the system he did it inside the dealership building. He said to do it outside. He quickly got it working and has been working ever since. I hope this helps.
Old 01-05-19, 08:00 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by LUX1
I got 18 RX350 and the scout gps never worked correctly. I got an I-phone and it usually says the system in not available and to try later. We took it to a dealer and they said it’s fine
If the dealer said it worked fine, did they actually show you how fine it worked?
Old 01-06-19, 06:17 AM
LUX1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bly47
This is the worst app I have ever used. I have had eight Lexus' over the years and all since 2002 have had OEM GPS. I recently leased a 2018 without OEM GPS because I've found myself using either Waze or GoogleMaps more often than the built in GPS because the phone was easier to use, especially if I didn't have an exact address for a place of business. I could do a voice search on my phone with the name of the restaurant, etc. and GoogleMaps would bring it up in a second and take me there. The built in GPS would take forever to find a named place if it found it at all. So I intended to just use my phone on the new car. Then I had the misfortune to read about Scout Link GPS. I'm very technically inclined and I can't get this app to work reliably. Sometimes it will connect but I have never been able to get the voice search to work when connected to my car. (it does work on the phone when not connected to the car). If I save a location to "Likes" their version of favorites and I'm lucky enough to have the app properly connect to the car I can go to "likes" and it will give me turn by turn directions but the whole connection is maybe 7 out of ten times. The other times the app does not connect. Plus there's an even bigger issue. Even after exiting out of the app and even after going into recent apps (android version, I don't know about Apple) and killing the app if you look under settings/developer options/services running in background (you might have to unlock developer options on your phone settings to see this option) the app is still running in the background and burning battery and data. I have had numerous email contacts with the app developer and they have been responsive to me and have admitted that they are aware of the running in background issue and that their engineers are working on a fix. The failure of the voice search to work in the car (and putting in an address by using the mouse is really very difficult and slow, virtually unusable) is, they say, they fault of another company that works with Toyota/Lexus. Toyota/Lexus make great cars but why they think that they can do technology better than Apple or Google, (they can't) is simply a matter of corporate greed. They want to be able to sell you something and that's why they haven't offered Apple Car or Android Auto. Do yourself a favor and forget that you ever heard of Scout Link GPS and use GoogleMaps or Waze.

Thank you. This is exactly what I have been doing, I use Google maps. This app is so stupid that I don’t even try to use it no more, because it is very agrivation. I was just wondering if anyone has the same problem, and it turns out I’m not the only one
Old 04-20-19, 05:51 PM
Archryhntn
Driver School Candidate

Default Scout GPS Link

Just took delivery of new RX350. It does not have factory navigation but I was told by “technology expert” about this app. Downloaded app at delivery and set it up. Noticed that maps did not display. Was told that I needed to plug phone in to get map to display. When I got home I plugged phone in and still no maps, just turn by turn directions. Am I doing something wrong or was I misinformed?
Old 04-20-19, 06:23 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the rep sold you a non-existent feature. You're only supposed to get voice and turn guidance on the screen.. no maps. Lexus documentation
Old 04-21-19, 11:08 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don’t even waste your time on this app. Read reviews on iOS App Store to understand what garbage it actually is. Toyota/Lexus should be embarrassed to even link themselves up with this product. Just use your phone and Waze or whatever and navigation app you used to.
Old 04-22-19, 02:39 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
I think the rep sold you a non-existent feature. You're only supposed to get voice and turn guidance on the screen.. no maps. Lexus documentation
That really sucks because Scout in Toyota will display the map if the phone is plugged in.
Old 04-23-19, 11:28 AM
JNI
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your tech must have confused the cars. The cars with the newer gen 10 system (touchpad) can do maps via USB, but not the RX.

You aren't missing anything though it's still bad with maps
Old 04-24-19, 12:02 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have that on my RAV4 it's the worse thing, it's slow and not that good at all, stick to Google maps or Waze .
Old 02-28-20, 01:53 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

This may be a dead Thread on the Scout app. Thought I would add to it anyway just in case it might help. I tried the Scout app with my Non-Navi 2020 RX thinking it may work without the USB cable via Bluetooth, and could not get it to work with either. The only way I got the Scout app to work is by selecting Phone Only on the app. Don't think the 2020's are supporting this app anymore, and by this thread I understand why. I just use the CarPlay feature which is fine.

Old 08-30-21, 09:09 PM
20Lexi21
Driver School Candidate

Default Scout GPS Link

Was anyone able to get Scout GPS Link to work with 2021 RX 350?
Old 07-25-23, 08:36 PM
Savage
Driver School Candidate

Default Scout GPS app

I just purchased a 2019 RX 350 and according to the vehicle specs on Lexus.com it's supposed to support Scout GPS. However in the app suite I don't see the application, is that something you have to install? Is there an app store in general to install apps for Lexus?