RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 02:06 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Does the nav work if you do not know the address of your destination??
The few time I did not have the address, I Googled and got it. It can not have everyone’s points of interest in the NAV system.
Old 10-09-17, 07:10 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

For finding and entering destinations, I would suggest trying to use the Destination Assist app in the free Enform App Suite. Its data base is regularly updated, and it is, therefore, more complete and up-to-date than the data base on the SD card in the car. It also has a much larger base of POIs. And it works very well with voice commands.

Just open the Enform App Suite and choose the Destination Assist. After you say the name of the destination that you are looking for, the app will give you a list of possible locations that fit your description, and those destinations will come up on the screen. After you choose the correct one, you will be given the option to set it as your destination with a click of the mouse.

I consider the Destination Search on the Enform App Suite to be an essential tool that complements the in-car navigation system, and I believe that those who are not using it are missing out on a feature that significantly improves the functionality of the navigation system.
The following 3 users liked this post by lesz:
ggebhardt (10-09-17), mcomer (01-12-18), RXBurbmom (10-15-17)
Old 10-09-17, 08:34 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
For finding and entering destinations, I would suggest trying to use the Destination Assist app in the free Enform App Suite. Its data base is regularly updated, and it is, therefore, more complete and up-to-date than the data base on the SD card in the car. It also has a much larger base of POIs. And it works very well with voice commands.

Just open the Enform App Suite and choose the Destination Assist. After you say the name of the destination that you are looking for, the app will give you a list of possible locations that fit your description, and those destinations will come up on the screen. After you choose the correct one, you will be given the option to set it as your destination with a click of the mouse.

I consider the Destination Search on the Enform App Suite to be an essential tool that complements the in-car navigation system, and I believe that those who are not using it are missing out on a feature that significantly improves the functionality of the navigation system.
That is a great reminder. Have not used this but I will give it a try.
Old 10-09-17, 08:56 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
That is a great reminder. Have not used this but I will give it a try.
I've been very impressed with the Enform Destination Assist app and with its data base.

A few weeks ago, I was looking for an apartment building in small town. Since the apartment building is very small (with only 8 apartments), I was expecting the Destination Assist to come up empty, but, as after just using the voice commands to say nothing more than the name of the apartment building, it immediately came up with the building that I was looking for and gave me proper directions for getting there.

Again, I consider the Enform app Destination Assist to be an essential tool, and I think that those who are not using it are not getting the best utility from their navigation systems.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
ggebhardt (10-09-17), RXBurbmom (10-15-17)
Old 10-09-17, 12:20 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll say POI. Then Home Depot. Dozen Home Depots come up with how far from current location. But the addresses are not shown. Maybe I am missing 'more' button for each Home Deport address?
Old 10-09-17, 12:29 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

They show up in my case - I click on a specific Home Depot I want (per city) and I get address and a map insert. There is no such think as 'more' button.
Old 10-13-17, 09:25 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

anyone tried to use voice recognition to program an address while going low speed through town? every time i come to a stop and the auto panoramic view comes on, it interrupts the navigation input and i have to start over. really damn annoying.
Old 10-13-17, 10:16 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
anyone tried to use voice recognition to program an address while going low speed through town? every time i come to a stop and the auto panoramic view comes on, it interrupts the navigation input and i have to start over. really damn annoying.
It'll probably interrupt the voice recognition system too. Just turn off auto pano while messing with the nav at low speed.

Last edited by ericsan13; 10-13-17 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-13-17, 11:00 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes that is annoying, however: This system would not understand any input at ANY speed. Completely useless system in a otherwise nice car. I wish Lexus would give up and allow Google (Android Auto)and Apple (Car Play) in their cars. Non of the Toyota/Lexus Voice Recognition work properly. Based on feedback from people that bought the top of the line 2018 Camry, even the latest version of Enform/Entune has poor Voice recognition and you still can not use Google maps in the car.

Lexus/Toyota, PLEASE give in and let the infotainment Experts do what they do best. Denso/Panasonic and Pioneer are NOT infotainment system designers. They are great hardware manufacturers. You can then focus on you do Best, design and build GREAT cars!
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
ericsan13 (10-13-17), Isley (10-14-17)
Old 10-13-17, 11:06 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Yes that is annoying, however: This system would not understand any input at ANY speed. Completely useless system in a otherwise nice car. I wish Lexus would give up and allow Google (Android Auto)and Apple (Car Play) in their cars. Non of the Toyota/Lexus Voice Recognition work properly. Based on feedback from people that bought the top of the line 2018 Camry, even the latest version of Enform/Entune has poor Voice recognition and you still can not use Google maps in the car.

Lexus/Toyota, PLEASE give in and let the infotainment Experts do what they do best. Denso/Panasonic and Pioneer are NOT infotainment system designers. They are great hardware manufacturers. You can then focus on you do Best, design and build GREAT cars!
Yeah i can't wait until they finally cave and allow this as well. However, I must say that i have pretty good luck with the voice recognition address lookup about 95% of the time. The whole system overall is unintuitive and painful to use tho.
The following users liked this post:
Isley (10-14-17)
Old 10-13-17, 12:34 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I did not even know we could use voice recognition Destination Assist before I saw this thread. I have pretty good luck with the voice recognition too, even with my thick accent. It has no problem to get the POIs. But it could not understand me when I tried address, until I spoke at normal speed.
Old 10-13-17, 12:41 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

On the same topic, has anyone figured out or knows if it is possible to import favorite addresses from a Garmin GPS to the Lexus Nav Address Book via USB? I am not talking about address book on your iphone or android or what is called contact address book.
Old 10-15-17, 09:21 AM
Isley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the navigation issue enough to keep you from purchasing an RX 350 again if they don't improve it?

I am considering getting the RX 350L, but the lack of Apple Carplay/Android Auto, and that Toyota/Lexus navigation is lacking, has me focusing on other options.

Thoughts?
Old 10-15-17, 11:26 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

This is very subjective. Depending how often you use NAV it could be an issue in purchasing a RX350. But then depending on your tech level experience and patience it maybe not or if you do not use it as often. Lexus NAV is actually usable except that it is not user friendly nor is it intuitive. To make matter worse, the "mouse" or pointer is really very hard to use and very slow on top of the numerous level of screens you have to go through before you can even enter a simple address. Of course, there is always the voice command option but even that is worse than the slow and finicky mouse!
Old 10-15-17, 04:52 PM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the nav and the voice commands. TBH I know less how to use the car by menus than voice commands.

Quick Reply: I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)