RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 08:44 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
I share the same sentiment, I decided to get navigation just for the sake of superior audio, and this was roughly the same what other 'luxury' brands charge for audio alone. And I would never call Lexus navigation 'junk', if it was junk I would never be using it and I am using it all the time.
They are actually using a Tomtom system inside...
Old 04-14-17, 10:21 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
They are actually using a Tomtom system inside...
Not true, their navigation is provided by DENSO (owned by Toyota).
Old 04-14-17, 10:58 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Every single Lexus we have owned , total 11 of which 6 by myself, has navigation simply because it completes the vehicle. Spending $45k+ on a vehicle , a $2000 Navi system is a must.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (10-09-17)
Old 04-14-17, 02:19 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
Not true, their navigation is provided by DENSO (owned by Toyota).
I saw that at the top of the page.
Must be the maps then. (See at the bottom)

Old 04-14-17, 09:35 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Must be the maps then. (See at the bottom)
Most likely TomTom's trademark is there since Lexus signed some deal with TomTom in 2002 to equip some of their European CT models with TomTom's navigation called Move-On. You can read some press releases on the subject. But it was clearly limited to only European's edition of the CT. The look/feel of TomTom's Move-On is very different from Lexus own navigation. But the trademark may be there for legal reasons even in Lexus units that have nothing to do with TomTom. Anyhow, this is my best guess why you see this trademark.
Old 04-29-17, 01:06 PM
aggiemike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Navigation and for that matter the whole infotainment system on Lexus (2017 RX in my case) suck! Shame on Lexus?

Google is light years ahead. I end up using my phone leaned up against my pretty display. Trying to use Lexus instructions/voice commands is painful and usually results in multiple errors. Brand new maps are out of date and very low resolution.. Lexus and other automakers need to stop trying to develop there own overpriced under performing software and just integrate android auto and car play.

By the way eDestinations will not work reliably and I see now they are discontinuing soon.
Old 04-29-17, 01:28 PM
Ssteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me started on how bad the Nav sucks. In SW Florida, the I75 Interchange going to RSW ( Fort Myers International Airport) is MISSING. This interchange opened in March of 2015 after a year of construction, yet my 2016 RX450h does not show it. Google Maps / Waze will show construction detours just days after they go into effect, but Lexus needs up to 5 years to update their system to show a new interstate interchange. I can see the occasional error on minor roads, but if you don't even have the interstate correct . . .
Old 04-29-17, 04:31 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssteve
Don't get me started on how bad the Nav sucks. In SW Florida, the I75 Interchange going to RSW ( Fort Myers International Airport) is MISSING. This interchange opened in March of 2015 after a year of construction, yet my 2016 RX450h does not show it. Google Maps / Waze will show construction detours just days after they go into effect, but Lexus needs up to 5 years to update their system to show a new interstate interchange. I can see the occasional error on minor roads, but if you don't even have the interstate correct . . .
But then Lexus will sell you updates that will also be out of date. Maybe a lot of their customers don't care but then Lexus went after a younger market with aggressive styling, go figure! I'm an older-soon to be ex customer. We went to buy a new 16 RX and even went back 3 times having waited to see if anything changed for 17. Until sales "tank" they may continue to ignore reality. Or maybe the are slow because it seems like it's easy to get 10-15% off now.
Old 04-29-17, 04:40 PM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, the Nav in my brand new 17 RX 450h is terrible. My first Garmin that I bought over 10 years ago is better than what is in my brand new Lexus.
Can we use blue tooth and put up waze or google maps up on the screen? If someone would figure that one out it would be better.
Old 04-30-17, 10:53 AM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's amazing how crappy and archaic the Lexus system is. I have a BMW and it is way better than my wife's Lexus system. It takes forever to enter anything and the voice recognition is awful. I just use Waze when driving her car.
Old 10-08-17, 10:51 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus Navigation - Designed for Frustration?

I really like my 450H and the big wide navigation screen is first rate but function is sooo frustrating.

One week after getting the car, navigation ran us around in circles due to recent road changes. I had to pull over and ask Waze to bail us out.

Yesterday I was taking the family to an orchard about 25 miles away. I spent about 15 minutes in the car trying to find this Point of Interest. No Luck! Finally I just spoke the orchard name into the Waze app and it gave me the address to give to Lexus Navigation. This is a popular destination that’s been around for ages.

Along the way, I used the POI / Gas function since I was low in an unfamiliar area. I only use Top Tier gas in my cars. Navigation showed the nearest station on my route as Citgo. I don’t support Venezuelan owned companies so I proceeded to the Tier One station a mile away. As I passed the first station, I saw that it is now a 76 station (Top Tier)! When I got to the second station – Guess what? It’s no longer a Top Tier brand. Grrrrr.

I guess this is how they get you to cough up more money for updates every year. Those updates cost more than a standalone GPS with free lifetime map updates. How does that happen?

OK – maybe I’m spoiled by my 2016 GM car. I didn’t order it with the >$1,000 navigation feature because the console supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I can display either Google Maps or Waze on the console screen. They are free and always up to date.

…and what’s with Lexus’ prejudice in favor of Apple IOS vs. Android? Android dominates the market 85% vs IOS’ 15%. [/RANT]
Old 10-08-17, 10:56 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

I have used Nav on Mercedes, Porsche, RangeRover and many more and I will take the Lexus system anyway. Try plugging in an address instead of hoping you orchard is a point of interest. My only company is the pointing device and that varies with each Lexus model. Give me a touch screen please.
Old 10-08-17, 11:04 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingBlu
I really like my 450H and the big wide navigation screen is first rate but function is sooo frustrating.

One week after getting the car, navigation ran us around in circles due to recent road changes. I had to pull over and ask Waze to bail us out.

Yesterday I was taking the family to an orchard about 25 miles away. I spent about 15 minutes in the car trying to find this Point of Interest. No Luck! Finally I just spoke the orchard name into the Waze app and it gave me the address to give to Lexus Navigation. This is a popular destination that’s been around for ages.

Along the way, I used the POI / Gas function since I was low in an unfamiliar area. I only use Top Tier gas in my cars. Navigation showed the nearest station on my route as Citgo. I don’t support Venezuelan owned companies so I proceeded to the Tier One station a mile away. As I passed the first station, I saw that it is now a 76 station (Top Tier)! When I got to the second station – Guess what? It’s no longer a Top Tier brand. Grrrrr.

I guess this is how they get you to cough up more money for updates every year. Those updates cost more than a standalone GPS with free lifetime map updates. How does that happen?

OK – maybe I’m spoiled by my 2016 GM car. I didn’t order it with the >$1,000 navigation feature because the console supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I can display either Google Maps or Waze on the console screen. They are free and always up to date.

…and what’s with Lexus’ prejudice in favor of Apple IOS vs. Android? Android dominates the market 85% vs IOS’ 15%. [/RANT]
I agree 100% I cant believe I just got a bill to renew my Enform App which I have had nothing but problems with. I think ggebhardt must work for Lexus, he disagrees with every negative comment on this forum.
Old 10-08-17, 11:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,682 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I agree 100% I cant believe I just got a bill to renew my Enform App which I have had nothing but problems with. I think ggebhardt must work for Lexus, he disagrees with every negative comment on this forum.
I never use the nav for anything but destinations - no POI etc. It works fine for me in that regard. What else is the app for other than remote start which is a rip that it's not free on on the FOB?
Old 10-08-17, 11:29 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I have used Nav on Mercedes, Porsche, RangeRover and many more and I will take the Lexus system anyway. Try plugging in an address instead of hoping you orchard is a point of interest. My only company is the pointing device and that varies with each Lexus model. Give me a touch screen please.
Does the nav work if you do not know the address of your destination??

Quick Reply: I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)