RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 08:42 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)

The Japanese are usually always so ahead of the curve with technology, however with my 2016 4th Generation RX they have failed. I never thought I would say that the infotainment and navigation system on an American made Cadillac is better and more advanced. Well the Cadillac navigation and infotainment is superior. We had to drive the Cadillac rental(after an accident). Shame on Lexus/Toyota for saddling this car with such a poor navigation product. The navigation is so not user friendly that it has become useless to me. So much so that I use Google Maps or WAZE for directions and navigation due to their ease of use. As a long time customer(13 years) I must say that I am disappointed. No Flames please.
Old 01-15-17, 03:31 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I also use Waze if I think police and traffic will be an issue. Otherwise I use the in car navigation in my 2016 RX. I love the 12" screen, but the maps are already a year old and I refuse to pay to update them.
Old 01-15-17, 06:32 AM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that the updates are free for the life of the vehicle. The Points of Interest function is the worst. There are two many steps to find a POI, it is also very slow and not up to date. It seriously needs a software update.
The following users liked this post:
Ice350 (01-19-17)
Old 01-15-17, 07:08 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Originally Posted by Regrex
It is my understanding that the updates are free for the life of the vehicle. The Points of Interest function is the worst. There are two many steps to find a POI, it is also very slow and not up to date. It seriously needs a software update.
Where did you read that updates are free? They are and always have been very expensive.

See link here with pricing:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/
Old 01-15-17, 08:08 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

You are correct. The infotainment system is the most disappointing part of any Lexus / Toyota. Especially in Canada where there are no phone connectivity besides the simple Bluetooth for phone call and music streaming. Toyota/ Lexus knows that their infotainment system is completely useless and 15 years behind the current technology. That's why they force them in customers under packages that include useful features.

I'm not sure why they include the button and system they call voice commands. I do not know anyone that has been able to use it. The only thing it understands is" go home". Complete waste of resources and money for Lexus and the customer.
The following users liked this post:
mwpw (04-18-17)
Old 01-15-17, 09:08 AM
PLamarine
Driver

I find that the Siri Eyes Free makes up for many of the the Lexus nav's shortcomings. Anyone else use it?
Old 01-15-17, 10:58 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess it depends where you live.
Here in the NE US the maps are fine.
Now if you hate the mouse, that is a different topic.
For quickly searching for an address I use the emform destination search along with the app.
Works fine for me.

If you like the Caddy's system, then trade in for it.
It is after all your decision and preferences.
The following 2 users liked this post by bootman:
ggebhardt (01-30-17), tomtom74 (01-15-17)
Old 01-15-17, 02:52 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that Lexus infotainment, especially maps sucks. But it did in the Gen 3 too! Way too many steps involved, voice commands only work if you use the exact language, etc. But the 16-17 is way better than the 11-13. I complained so much that they did a firmware upgrade from 10 to 13 and all that did was solve some connectivity problems and USB thumb drive worked for music.
I have a Denali with the GM system and it's far better than Lexus and also includes Android Auto/Car Play. I can use Google Maps and the Google Assistant-love them that's where Lexus needs to be. No need for an address or canned instructions-just ask a question or name of destination and you have the Nav or info you need. Google bought Waze and is integrating into GMaps. When this becomes wireless soon it will be perfect. I don't mind connecting my phone USB for longer trips for Android Auto but it's not convenient around town.
I guess Lexus thinks the customer base is older and doesn't know the difference???
Old 01-16-17, 06:45 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no 'perfect' GPS system. They all have their limitations.
Auto manufacturers should include navigation systems for those that do not want to use smartphone navigation but should also include phone mirroring, not to be confused with CarPlay, for those that want to use other applications. If and when CarPlay expands the compatible applications then I would include that feature as well. Until then CarPlay provides limited value in my opinion.
Old 01-16-17, 09:02 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibster
There is no 'perfect' GPS system. They all have their limitations.
Auto manufacturers should include navigation systems for those that do not want to use smartphone navigation but should also include phone mirroring, not to be confused with CarPlay, for those that want to use other applications. If and when CarPlay expands the compatible applications then I would include that feature as well. Until then CarPlay provides limited value in my opinion.
Funny you mentioned mirroring when I came across this video.
Old 01-16-17, 10:32 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I love the NAV systems in both my RX and LX.

Only complaint is the stupid mouse crap! Give me a touch pad or touch screen but the mouse sucks.
Old 01-16-17, 12:08 PM
trama09
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

(Based off of my experience with an ES) The only thing I don't like about the navi is the slow FPS (frames per second) or update rate. I wish it was smoother like Waze or Google Maps.
Old 01-16-17, 12:30 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I have a 2015 RCF, and I have to agree, the navigation system is the pits, so was the one on my Camaro, my Avalanche, my Chrysler 300 and my wife's 2007 Camry.

I have never found an OEM system to be that great, and from a map standpoint, they are usually 2-3 years behind the current "real" time maps of smart phones.

I use Waze, personally I don't care so much about seeing the map, I just want to know when my next turn is coming up.. Waze is fine for this, it's routing algorithm is far superior to that of the OEM system.

Last edited by mjeds; 01-17-17 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-16-17, 03:49 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
Funny you mentioned mirroring when I came across this video.
https://youtu.be/uE3KG7s28kA
I saw that video and wondered how kludgy is this. Lightning to HDMI, HDMI male to male adapter, HDMI to composite, RCA male to male adapter, a box to do the HDMI to composite conversion (HDMI-AV), a box to fool the system in playing video while the car is in motion, and finally a USB hub to power the iPhone and the HDMI-AV box. Uf! Could have designed all this into one box...

In fact, a much rugged and reliable option was to add CarPlay, but Lexus is not going down that path...
Old 01-16-17, 09:14 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

pretty much all car nav systems suck compared to google maps now. They can never keep up with the pace of google. heck, even apple maps is usable now. Havent even tried the stock RX nav...too much a pain to enter a destination

Quick Reply: I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)