RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 12:40 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

+1 for me. I completely agree. The infotainment system in the Toyota / Lexus vehicles is stuck in 1990s. They have refused to catch up with the latest technologies.

I use Google maps in my phone and use audio streaming on my phone to substitute fur the inferior infotainment system.

They will lose many young customers because if this stubbornness.
Old 03-12-17, 03:32 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
+1 for me. I completely agree. The infotainment system in the Toyota / Lexus vehicles is stuck in 1990s. They have refused to catch up with the latest technologies.

I use Google maps in my phone and use audio streaming on my phone to substitute fur the inferior infotainment system.

They will lose many young customers because if this stubbornness.
And some old customers like me. I suffered through the POS Gen 3 Nav. There were 6 other issues with my RX but most were minor like rear speakers with no sound, newer iPod wouldn't work, ventilated seats with no air movement, sqeeky steering, crappy Nav, Voice contols, etc. Gave up on fix although a firmware update to Infotainment helped a little. Went to buy a 2016 RX and walked away after a test drive. More power but sluggish performance and the Nav not much improved, no Car Play or Android Auto. My GM truck is a 2016 and has a much better system. Decided to wait for 2017's and after following the issues on the forum and another test drive ordered an Audi. After owning a Tundra and RX I wonder about the ratings of the Toyota products. My experience is that what you buy is what you get wth rare fixes unless Safety related.
Old 03-13-17, 10:44 AM
Apocalypso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Regrex
The manual process has too many steps. For the life of me I cannot get the voice recognition to understand me. It is not very accurate for me. If it were accurate that would solve the manual entry problem. Another issue is if I speak the POI and there are multiple locations. The system will list how far each is away from my location, but not the address or street number. So if you are looking for let's say a specific Chevron station and it is on "Foothill Street". The nav will list 5 and how far they are from you not the street name. As a result you must then go thru each one to determine which one you want.
Train the VR to hear you properly - it's a setting.
Old 03-30-17, 12:58 PM
Ssteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait until the screen turns purple, and the system crashes. Mine does this regularly when it incorrectly detects that a re-route is needed due to traffic ahead.

Dealer has NO CLUE on how to fix it. Thanks a lot LEXUS
Old 03-30-17, 02:31 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Ssteve
Wait until the screen turns purple, and the system crashes. Mine does this regularly when it incorrectly detects that a re-route is needed due to traffic ahead.

Dealer has NO CLUE on how to fix it. Thanks a lot LEXUS

There is aTSB for this exact issue. Worked fur me. Fixed it.
Old 04-08-17, 08:09 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apocalypso
Train the VR to hear you properly - it's a setting.
I have done that. Three times to be exact........
Old 04-10-17, 05:07 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by quine
Yes google maps on my phone is superior,
This is true only if you drive in fairly well populated areas, you go to Wyoming, etc and all of a sudden Google, Waze, etc fail completely because there is no sufficient cell tower coverage. It failed on me even in California on highway 395. So as far as I am concerned I would never consider those systems as my primary navigation tools, it has to be GPS based system. I love my portable Garmin which is objectively better than my Lexus IS navigation but I do use both.
Old 04-10-17, 05:18 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Olasek
This is true only if you drive in fairly well populated areas, you go to Wyoming, etc and all of a sudden Google, Waze, etc fail completely because there is no sufficient cell tower coverage. It failed on me even in California on highway 395. So as far as I am concerned I would never consider those systems as my primary navigation tools, it has to be GPS based system. I love my portable Garmin which is objectively better than my Lexus IS navigation but I do use both.
You can download an offline area in Google maps and use it without any cell data. I used it did a whole week while on vacation in Barbados. The phone was in airplane mode with only GPS and Bluetooth turned on.
Old 04-10-17, 05:26 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Good point however I don't have GPS capable phone, don't plan to get one. Having to pay extra for such phone I rather prefer a dedicated GPS device, works better for me.
Old 04-11-17, 07:22 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
Good point however I don't have GPS capable phone, don't plan to get one. Having to pay extra for such phone I rather prefer a dedicated GPS device, works better for me.
Even a cheap $50 Android phone has GPS...
Old 04-11-17, 11:24 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by guxu
Even a cheap $50 Android phone has GPS...
Good to know, had no idea to tell you the truth, I am not an Android fan but I certainly applaud their generosity. As a private pilot my taste is skewed by my preference for Garmin which is really a king in the world of general aviation.
Old 04-13-17, 08:58 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the market to buy a 350 Rx for my wife. We had no plans to buy the junk navigation system. Both of us use Google maps on our iPhone's through the bluetooth audio. I just noticed that some features such as cross traffic braking are available only with a 12.3 panoramic monitor as part of the navigation system. So Lexus is trying every trick to force a customer to keep their navigation system.
Old 04-13-17, 09:30 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by upnorth85
I am in the market to buy a 350 Rx for my wife. We had no plans to buy the junk navigation system. Both of us use Google maps on our iPhone's through the bluetooth audio. I just noticed that some features such as cross traffic braking are available only with a 12.3 panoramic monitor as part of the navigation system. So Lexus is trying every trick to force a customer to keep their navigation system.
Rear Cross-Traffic Braking is not a part of navigation system. It is in Blind Spot Monitor package. Panoramic monitor does require 12.3 navigation package though.
The following users liked this post:
upnorth85 (04-14-17)
Old 04-13-17, 09:38 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Before we bought our RX, we were checking Mercedes GLC as well. To get adaptive cruise control and lane keeping, you have to get all options including GPS on GLC, while 2017 RX has safety package standard. I do not care for Lexus's GPS either. But I still got it just to get big screen and better audio system.
Old 04-13-17, 11:05 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by guxu
But I still got it just to get big screen and better audio system.
I share the same sentiment, I decided to get navigation just for the sake of superior audio, and this was roughly the same what other 'luxury' brands charge for audio alone. And I would never call Lexus navigation 'junk', if it was junk I would never be using it and I am using it all the time.

Quick Reply: I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)