RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Why did they do that!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 04:45 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why did they do that!

I am not sure anyone would use this thread or the mods would agree with it, but I thought it would be cool to have a place for owners of past Lexus RXs' to be able to ask on why Lexus made changes or deletes from their 16 RX compared to their past Lexus. I know the responses will mostly be assumptions unless someone from Lexus actually chimes in, but I thought it would be interesting anyways. Come from a 2010 I noticed some changes which I found for the worse (many changes for the better)

(Mods: Feel free to delete the thread if you don't like it, but please don't ban me. It was created out of good intention)

1. What happened to the headlight washer switch! No idea why 2016 deleted it and only allows activation with the wipers? Theirs so many blanks in the switch console even on speced out models.

2. Why did they switch to remote touch interface to this puck from the joystick. The joystick is so much easier to use?

3. Why did the trunk get smaller even though the car got longer. In the 2010 if I slide the one rear seat FW my skies would fit diagonal on the 16 I need to fold the seat now.

4. Why can't use choose the Sat Nav voice to come from just the drivers speaker similar to the 2010!

I'll answer one too. IF anyone was wondering why they removed the fake leather between the cargo cover and the seat from the 2010 and newer RX the rumor mill from the forum is to reduce cabin noise.
Old 12-21-16, 12:57 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
I am not sure anyone would use this thread or the mods would agree with it, but I thought it would be cool to have a place for owners of past Lexus RXs' to be able to ask on why Lexus made changes or deletes from their 16 RX compared to their past Lexus. I know the responses will mostly be assumptions unless someone from Lexus actually chimes in, but I thought it would be interesting anyways. Come from a 2010 I noticed some changes which I found for the worse (many changes for the better)

(Mods: Feel free to delete the thread if you don't like it, but please don't ban me. It was created out of good intention)

1. What happened to the headlight washer switch! No idea why 2016 deleted it and only allows activation with the wipers? Theirs so many blanks in the switch console even on speced out models.

2. Why did they switch to remote touch interface to this puck from the joystick. The joystick is so much easier to use?

3. Why did the trunk get smaller even though the car got longer. In the 2010 if I slide the one rear seat FW my skies would fit diagonal on the 16 I need to fold the seat now.

4. Why can't use choose the Sat Nav voice to come from just the drivers speaker similar to the 2010!

I'll answer one too. IF anyone was wondering why they removed the fake leather between the cargo cover and the seat from the 2010 and newer RX the rumor mill from the forum is to reduce cabin noise.
1. I have plenty of buttons...maybe too many. If I had to guess, the remaining buttons are for power folding rear seats (not available on 450h F Sport) and rear entertainment system power button.

2. Took getting used to but it performs about the same
3. When I put my 2010 cargo liner into my 2016, the 2016 is actually an inch longer. I fold down only the middle rear seat and stick my skis through that hole anyway.
4. I miss this feature too. Now my passengers get to be disturbed by the voice instructions...
The following users liked this post:
satnav (12-21-16)
Old 12-22-16, 12:34 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Another one:

Why did they come up with a new virtual button in the hidden menu to activate the Wiper De-Icer? In RX 2 (not sure about RX3) and in most Toyotas it is activated just by activating the rear/mirror defogger.
Old 12-22-16, 08:57 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess I'm in the mood to be disagreeable, the hockey puck remote touch is horrible. I've owned two RX with joysticks and one with the hockey puck. It cannot be adjusted to be as accurate, nor as consistent as the joystick. I hate it, my wife dislikes it and friends borrowing our car refuse to try and use it.

Using the joystick, I could operate it almost without watching the screen using feedback from the positions on the screen. The hockey puck rarely hits or stays on the right target.

Im fearful the next generation RX will have some gawd awful touch pad, that may even be worse.
Old 12-23-16, 04:03 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I guess I'm in the mood to be disagreeable, the hockey puck remote touch is horrible. I've owned two RX with joysticks and one with the hockey puck. It cannot be adjusted to be as accurate, nor as consistent as the joystick. I hate it, my wife dislikes it and friends borrowing our car refuse to try and use it.

Using the joystick, I could operate it almost without watching the screen using feedback from the positions on the screen. The hockey puck rarely hits or stays on the right target.

Im fearful the next generation RX will have some gawd awful touch pad, that may even be worse.
Well they made the LC with the touchpad so I think it may be that one. haha

I'm just waiting for the day they come up with a conference and show us a brand new interface and laugh at how it once was.
Old 12-23-16, 04:25 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I'm not sure how the old one and the new one are so different. The only difference I can see is the fact that you can push it in for okay in addition to the buttons on right and left. The feed back can be adjusted in the menu to sir your liking.

I'm not saying it's great but I do not mind it. Better than touch screen in my other car