RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Triple Beam LED's Manual Height Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 09:57 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DMVRX350F
So I finally adjusted my triple beam headlights this week. Been playing around with the height for a couple days, trying to get that perfect height in an effort to maximize coverage without blinding anyone. I thought they were too high the first time around, then I adjusted them too low, then I went slightly higher. Hopefully, I'm good this time around. Another feature that I just started messing around with is the auto-high beam. Was wondering what you guys think of that feature. I'm not gonna lie - I initially had my doubts about how well it would work, but it actually works really well. Will need a couple more days of testing...
I was considering turning up my headlamps but I'll tell you a story that happened today on the way home. I was waiting in the left turn lane on a level road directly across from a sedan also waiting to turn left. They flipped on their highbeams and kept them on. I assume they felt my 3LED headlights were blinding them. Big mistake - I turned on my high beams which is a big difference and they quickly realized my lights are just that bright. They turned off their useless halogen high beams and I hope they are seeing stars.

Anyway I'll be leaving them at stock level since it apparently it already triggers people. We have very bright lights and it's easier to **** people off with them.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (11-17-17)
Old 11-16-17, 10:03 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMVRX350F
...Another feature that I just started messing around with is the auto-high beam. Was wondering what you guys think of that feature. ...
Firstly, thanks, Everyone, for posting. I've been searching for quite some time for discussions on short headlight beams. Not sure how I managed to overlook this thread.

Anyhow, I've tried the auto-high beam as a workaround for the low visibility. Works great on dark country roads with the occasional traffic; but when I get into a stretch with more traffic, it tends to quickly flash on/off at other cars. It also flashes on/off at other cars when I'm in a well-lit area (town/city). Doesn't do that all the time, but it's enough of a concern that it could spark a road rage incident. So I reluctantly turned off auto-high beam. So looking forward to doing the level adjustments, and getting better visibility.

As far as I can tell, most people in this forum seem to be pretty happy with the auto-high beam though, so not sure why mine flashes on when it shouldn't.
Old 11-17-17, 03:19 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

so does 3 turns up on the drivers side seem the best ?? passenger side is good or raise that too??
still waiting for mine to be built, sigh. lol
Old 11-17-17, 05:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

The problem with LED headlights is that they appear very bright at the source of the light, which is why they can easily appear to blind drivers in on-coming cars, but that light doesn't project as far down the road as does light from HID or halogen lights. That is why raising the beam height can annoy other drivers while adding only minimal projection distance to the light.

Also, I've been told by two different dealers that the beam height of self-leveling lights cannot really be adjusted. They have said, while you can change the setting of the adjustment screws, what you are actually changing is only the starting point for the beam height when the headlights are turned on but that, after the auto leveling takes place and you start driving, the beam height still ends up at the same pre-set level. I have no idea whether this is actually true, but the service advisors at both of the dealerships where I asked the question gave me the exact same explanation.
Old 11-17-17, 06:04 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The problem with LED headlights is that they appear very bright at the source of the light, which is why they can easily appear to blind drivers in on-coming cars, but that light doesn't project as far down the road as does light from HID or halogen lights. That is why raising the beam height can annoy other drivers while adding only minimal projection distance to the light.

Also, I've been told by two different dealers that the beam height of self-leveling lights cannot really be adjusted. They have said, while you can change the setting of the adjustment screws, what you are actually changing is only the starting point for the beam height when the headlights are turned on but that, after the auto leveling takes place and you start driving, the beam height still ends up at the same pre-set level. I have no idea whether this is actually true, but the service advisors at both of the dealerships where I asked the question gave me the exact same explanation.
all 3 headlight options are led, standard, adaptive, and triple beam
interesting on the auto leveling, makes sense, but people who have adjusted notice differences,
probably won't have my new one delivered for another month or so,
Old 11-17-17, 06:17 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

dealers always giving inaccurate information. When raise the, you raise them. 4 & 3 turns.
Old 11-17-17, 01:46 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I have the triple beam lights on both LX and both RX and have found them to be more than adequate. They do have a sharp cut off point but when brights are initialized it is hard to beat the distance they illuminate. I have had other headlight technologies on previous Lexus and the triple beams win hands down. Besides they look great!
Old 11-17-17, 03:28 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

The high beams are phenomenal, the low beams are flat out dangerous. It's difficult to see exits or upcoming turns early unless they are marked with reflectors, deer or any critters on the road, tight turns on a winding road, etc.
I asked the dealer to raise the beams a bit and they said no due to liability.
Old 11-17-17, 03:29 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Raise them yourself. Follow the DIY here. I was cautious to do it and was so happy I did afterwards. 3.5-4 turns on the driver and 3 turns on the passenger.
Old 11-17-17, 04:04 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elimmigran
Raise them yourself. Follow the DIY here. I was cautious to do it and was so happy I did afterwards. 3.5-4 turns on the driver and 3 turns on the passenger.
LOL, thx for the encouragement!! I'm not very handy, matter of fact I'm incompetent!! however I'm really good at light bulbs and and batteries.
Old 11-17-17, 04:07 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nail34
LOL, thx for the encouragement!! I'm not very handy, matter of fact I'm incompetent!! however I'm really good at light bulbs and and batteries.
Pretty much the same here. You have two screws and those popper thingies to remove in order to remove the cover. That's basically all you have to "remove". Once it's removed, just turn the screw counterclockwise. So if you're facing the windshield standing in the front of the truck, turn the screw counterclockwise.
Old 11-17-17, 05:37 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Pretty much the same here. You have two screws and those popper thingies to remove in order to remove the cover. That's basically all you have to "remove". Once it's removed, just turn the screw counterclockwise. So if you're facing the windshield standing in the front of the truck, turn the screw counterclockwise.
Damn, that's easy. Does changing the low beams effect the high beams?? and did you deal with auto-leveling at all.
Really I'm going to do this, thx again.
Old 11-17-17, 05:56 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nail34
Damn, that's easy. Does changing the low beams effect the high beams?? and did you deal with auto-leveling at all.
Really I'm going to do this, thx again.
Not sure. I can't say that I noticed a difference in the high beams. I just made sure the vehicle was on level ground...basically in my garage.
Old 11-18-17, 01:10 AM
jhajj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-4 turns ??

Hi guys a new member here. Awesome thread guys. Lots of knowledge. I have a question, you guys mentioned to turn the screw 3-4 turns on driver side and 3 turns on passenger side to raise the aim of low beams on RX350, I want to know by 1 turn you mean a 360 degree rotation of the aiming screw ? From where we start and we must end at same point will be 1 turn ?
Old 11-18-17, 01:04 PM
jhajj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 turn means what ?

I want to ask what you mean by 3/4 turns ? One turn will mean a full circle ⭕️ from where we start and must end at same point will be one turn ? So 3/4 full circles 360 degrees rotation?? Or just move one grove of the aiming screw ? Pls help cause I don’t want to aim them too high either. Thanks

Quick Reply: Triple Beam LED's Manual Height Adjustment