RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4th Gen RX Problems Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-17, 06:15 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I think it should be pointed out that, for some of the issues listed, the number of posts about those issues can be somewhat misleading. For at least a couple of the problem threads, the same 4 or 5 people have posted repeatedly, and they have said essentially the same things over and over again. I suspect that, if you examined those threads carefully, you would find that the number of different people who have posted and the number of posts that have added new information would be only a relatively small fraction of the total number of posts in those threads.
And maybe a small percentage of the vehicles sold?
Old 11-13-17, 01:43 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
Interesting. The heated steering wheel on my NX is great, so Lexus knows how to do it right. Why not for the RX?
Exactly, when I test drove the NX, it was burning my hands, I was looking for the button to turn it off!

On my RX, it barely heats up. At -20C, it will take forever to warm up!
Old 12-02-17, 04:56 AM
Shallwani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I took it to the dealer. Initially, they said one tire had uneven wear and that is causing the issue. After changing the tires( I changed all 4) the issue is still there and they are now insisting that this is normal. In short, I am finding it hard to convince them now since they do not want to accept the issue.

Could you please advice if this is causing due to tires or wheels only ? And nothing can go wrong with suspension? What is the best way to diagnose it?
Old 12-02-17, 09:20 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Shallwani
Yeah I took it to the dealer. Initially, they said one tire had uneven wear and that is causing the issue. After changing the tires( I changed all 4) the issue is still there and they are now insisting that this is normal. In short, I am finding it hard to convince them now since they do not want to accept the issue.

Could you please advice if this is causing due to tires or wheels only ? And nothing can go wrong with suspension? What is the best way to diagnose it?
OK, I’m lost. What are you referring to in this post? I went back thru the thread in the last few months & didn’t see anything about tire wear. Was something removed? I’m very interested in your issue as I’m seeing some very odd excellerated tire wear. Please clarify so we can all share our thoughts & experiences.
Old 12-02-17, 09:29 AM
Shallwani
Driver School Candidate

Okay I will elaborate the issue again. I have Rx350 2016 model. After 20k km; the car started having some kind of vibration. The vibration was felt on the seat and not on steering wheel.

Lexus dealer identified there is one tire with uneven wear and suggested to replace. I got all tires replaced. The new tires are of same brand dunlop sports maxx 050 as the OEM. However the vibration is still there.

the vibration is felt at all speeds starting from 60 km / hr. I got the wheel balancing and alignment done. Road force is also okay.

The dealer is not able to identify the issue now and trying to convince me that its normal. Although I know its not normal .

would appreciate experts suggestions here.
Old 12-02-17, 09:48 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Okay I will elaborate the issue again. I have Rx350 2016 model. After 20k km; the car started having some kind of vibration. The vibration was felt on the seat and not on steering wheel.

Lexus dealer identified there is one tire with uneven wear and suggested to replace. I got all tires replaced. The new tires are of same brand dunlop sports maxx 050 as the OEM. However the vibration is still there.

the vibration is felt at all speeds starting from 60 km / hr. I got the wheel balancing and alignment done. Road force is also okay.

The dealer is not able to identify the issue now and trying to convince me that its normal. Although I know its not normal .

would appreciate experts suggestions here.
Cool, got it! What wheels do you have? Has anyone checked all 4 wheels for trueness and/or warpage? Is it worse when applying the brakes? Is it speed specific?
Old 12-02-17, 09:57 AM
Shallwani
Driver School Candidate

All wheels are checked by Lexus dealer as well as a separate tire shop.

No it does not affect when brake is applied. It only vibrates when car is moving.

and its neither speed specific. Starts around 60 km / hr and continues..
Old 12-02-17, 11:33 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

All wheels are checked by Lexus dealer as well as a separate tire shop.

No it does not affect when brake is applied. It only vibrates when car is moving.

and its neither speed specific. Starts around 60 km / hr and continues..
I’m not an expert, but it’s starting to sound like it could be in the transmission. I’m basing that on things that rotate & don’t effect steering or braking. Is there any time when it’s much worse?
Old 12-02-17, 11:40 AM
Shallwani
Driver School Candidate

Umm..its much worst at 110km/hr
Old 01-26-18, 12:41 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

I updated the first post - looks like with today's TSB Lexus has now addressed the top three issues to some extent.
Old 01-29-18, 08:35 AM
NCis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think overall the RX is probably a well put together vehicle and their sales certainly aren't hurting. In fact you can go on the forum for just about any vehicle and find horror stories. usually many more than the Lexus forum.
Of course more vehicles sold, the more stories likely to appear.
Now with that said, I definitely got a Friday afternoon special, with more issues than I have ever had from any other vehicle including 2 previous IS's. The dealer has been good trying to resolve them, but I'm now approaching 30K miles and more issues.
Here's the quick summary. 1. Air conditioning gurgle - Fixed under a TSB but now the air is weak and still gurgles. 2. Passenger seat replacement as it whistled like a tea kettle 3. Both rear door seals replaced after they simply fell off on a hot day. 4. Right rear door seal replaced a 2nd time after it fell off again on a frosty day. 5. Transmission remap under a TSB - still lunges around at low speeds, perhaps an 80% improvement. 6. Rear suspension trailing arms replaced 7. Trunk sounds like creaky floorboards when closing on a warn day and can be heard across the parking lot - unresolved 8. Rear suspension acting up again after 3k miles of the trailing arms being replaced. 9. Rattles from so many places I gave up trying to locate them.
On the plus side, it has incredibly comfortable seats. Although when the warranty is up it's probably getting traded for something else.
Old 01-29-18, 09:04 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by NCis250
I think overall the RX is probably a well put together vehicle and their sales certainly aren't hurting. In fact you can go on the forum for just about any vehicle and find horror stories. usually many more than the Lexus forum.
Now with that said, I definitely got a Friday afternoon special, with more issues than I have ever had from any other vehicle including 2 previous IS's. The dealer has been good trying to resolve them, but I'm now approaching 30K miles and more issues.
Here's the quick summary. 1. Air conditioning gurgle - Fixed under a TSB but now the air is weak and still gurgles. 2. Passenger seat replacement as it whistled like a tea kettle 3. Both rear door seals replaced after they simply fell off on a hot day. 4. Right rear door seal replaced a 2nd time after it fell off again on a frosty day. 5. Transmission remap under a TSB - still lunges around at low speeds, perhaps an 80% improvement. 6. Rear suspension trailing arms replaced 7. Trunk sounds like creaky floorboards when closing on a warn day and can be heard across the parking lot - unresolved 8. Rear suspension acting up again after 3k miles of the trailing arms being replaced. 9. Rattles from so many places I gave up trying to locate them.
On the plus side, it has incredibly comfortable seats. Although when the warranty is up it's probably getting traded for something else.
Wow! You have way too many issues with that vehicle, not alone a Lexus. I would run to get out of that lemon. Get as much stuff fixed as possible before you trade at warranty end - remember, a lot of the lemon stuff shows on a Car Fax. Good luck!
Old 01-29-18, 01:06 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

My rattle seemed to come from anywhere and it happened to be the sun roof railing. Got changed under warranty and is now fixed.
Old 01-29-18, 01:27 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Gaaack!! Does your state have a lemon law? If so, I'd be getting very familiar with it.
Old 02-11-18, 11:30 PM
rraheja
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I updated the first post - looks like with today's TSB Lexus has now addressed the top three issues to some extent.
See the posts in the other thread. TSB for exhaust drone is released, however the problem is far from resolved...in some cases it has made it worse!

Quick Reply: 4th Gen RX Problems Guide