RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Windshield Leak Dripping from Microphone port

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 08:21 AM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Leak Dripping from Microphone port

There is a small grey plastic microphone port just above my driver's visor. After 3100 miles it started dripping water during hard rain. Lexus stated that it is a windshield leak and are replacing the windshield under warranty, problem is it's taken 2 weeks to get the new one So my advice is, if you get a small leak here, report it and get them to order the new windshield, but DO NOT let them keep your car the whole time. I miss my new RX
Old 12-12-16, 04:07 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, I wouldn't want to drive a car that was leaking for 2 weeks... If the water has gotten that far into the vehicle, there is a chance it could have affected other electronics in the roof liner. Make sure they inspect the other things while they are up there. Do you have a sunroof? It seems more likely that rain would enter from the sunroof than the windshield. For warranty work like this, you should have gotten a loaner.
Old 12-13-16, 05:50 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ I agree ... OP - when you bring it back for to have the windshield replaced have them make sure the sunroof drains aren't clogged.
Old 12-14-16, 02:32 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Worst will be after they replace the windshield, it still leaks.
Old 12-15-16, 07:12 AM
parky7
Driver School Candidate

I was about to post about this same topic. I have. 450h and I had the leak in the same place. The service center told me that they felt the sunroof needed to be reprogrammed (it thinking it was all the way closed when not). Don't know if it fixed the issue since it hasn't rained since but it's raining today so welll see

Last edited by parky7; 12-15-16 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-15-16, 08:28 AM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by parky7
I was about to post about this same topic. I have. 450h and I had the leak in the same place.
Hmm my service adviser seemed confident it was a known issue with the windshield. Also they diagnosed it quickly enough it leads me to think they already knew about this possibility. So I'd be interested to hear your experience.

I have a sunroof but there is no water inside the gasket on the bottom: so I believe their assertion that its the windshield instead.

Only thing that concerns me is that I won't necessarily know for awhile if it's fixed. Car is covered at almost all times. So I'll have to be driving in (comparatively) heavy rain to test it.
Old 12-15-16, 08:35 AM
parky7
Driver School Candidate

Will keep you updated. Supposed to rain heavy today and I'm parked outside while at work.

Yeah I'm not too sure about the service center - my first Lexus so they're new to me. They seemed to be unsure what the problem was and said that they could only get replicate the problem if the sunroof was ajar.

Anyways, will let you know!
Old 12-15-16, 10:35 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Can you guys please be more specific on whether or not you're seeing this problem on the normal sunroof, panoramic sunroof, or both? It'll help narrow down who is affected.
Old 12-15-16, 11:07 AM
parky7
Driver School Candidate

I have a regular sunroof
Old 12-15-16, 05:41 PM
parky7
Driver School Candidate

Had a rainy half day here in California. Microphone area is still looking dry. I'm assuming my car is fixed. Will update again if it changes.
Old 12-15-16, 05:48 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus master tech here,
leaking sun roofs are a common issue on 2016 RX's. It is the sun roof track that is the problem as it's not sealed correctly. A countermeasure part has already been deployed. My dealership ran into issues with the new parts having a 2-3 month wait for the new tracks, so we had to start using silicon sealant, and resealing it ourselves.
The following 2 users liked this post by NotADood:
jwong77 (08-14-17), NealKBrown (12-18-16)
Old 12-15-16, 05:57 PM
adambomb6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same thing leak on mine after a heavy rain a few months ago. Called the lexus dealership and took it over immediately. They said the drainage ports in the sunroof had gotten clogged. They blew them out with an airgun (I think thats what they did) and no leaks since. At least that was what happened with mine, no leaks since.
Old 12-18-16, 06:17 PM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Can you guys please be more specific on whether or not you're seeing this problem on the normal sunroof, panoramic sunroof, or both? It'll help narrow down who is affected.
Regular sunroof here; identical symptom to Parky7's pic above from microphone port

Lexus replaced the windshield but it'll be awhile before I can really see if it is fixed.
Old 01-11-17, 11:35 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus master tech here,
leaking sun roofs are a common issue on 2016 RX's. It is the sun roof track that is the problem as it's not sealed correctly. A countermeasure part has already been deployed. My dealership ran into issues with the new parts having a 2-3 month wait for the new tracks, so we had to start using silicon sealant, and resealing it ourselves.
I'd like to use clear silicone sealant as well to seal it. Where is the spot where we need to seal?

I felt a drop of water hit me from the microphone port area a couple weeks ago too. Very odd, but I couldn't replicate it yet.
Old 01-13-17, 08:47 AM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

Had hard rain here today and no leak so hoping the windshield replacement fixed it.

Quick Reply: Windshield Leak Dripping from Microphone port