RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Windshield Leak Dripping from Microphone port

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 01:03 PM
JEstesCPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

I Bought my 2016 RX350 in June. It is garage kept and I park in a parking deck at work. Last night was the first time this leak happened while parked outside in the rain. If this was a known issue and I bought a “Lexus Certified” car, why wouldn’t they have already fixed this issue. Not only is the leak in the ceiling a problem, but it was dripping onto my seat for 2 hours. With the vented seats, there was nothing I could do to soak up the water. I imagine that may cause some mold issues down the road. 😠
Old 11-18-18, 05:20 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have it fixed as the rest of us have, new sunroof with better seal!!
Old 11-18-18, 07:02 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

JEstesCPA: If your car had no existing stains in that area, then it obviously never leaked before and Lexus would have no reason to "fix" it.
Old 11-18-18, 11:43 AM
JEstesCPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
JEstesCPA: If your car had no existing stains in that area, then it obviously never leaked before and Lexus would have no reason to "fix" it.
When it dried, there was no stain left. It is in the shop now and as soon as I told the service tech about the leak he said the glass wasn’t long enough.
Old 11-18-18, 01:44 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by JEstesCPA

When it dried, there was no stain left. It is in the shop now and as soon as I told the service tech about the leak he said the glass wasn’t long enough.
I'm surprised it didn't stain, but that's good news!
Old 11-18-18, 01:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Was this in early production models only? Was a part modified later on?
Old 12-31-18, 11:14 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

So, Lexus told me this is a known issue with the Canadian made RX models. I’m not sure where it’s made would be an issue, but that’s what they said. Their “fix” is installing a Japanese made sunroof. It does look a bit different (not in a bad way), with a much more pronounced rubber seal on the outside. My new sunroof has been thru 2 car washes & 2 thunderstorms & so far, so good. I'm kinda shocked at how many issues I’ve had with this vehicle & so are my neighbors.

Here’s another unrelated issue I’ve noticed: the fuel door sticker (on the inside of the door). Im always careful not to splash fuel & if I do, I clean it immediately. I’m guessing the fuel vapors coming from the cap & filler neck, cause the glue to release & the sticker just wrinkles up & falls off. Mine did it within 15,000 miles & I noticed my loaner with 16,000 miles had done it. Anyone else?
Old 07-03-19, 06:49 AM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having the same issues with the leak. The dealership checked the drains and they were not clogged.

Further investigation, revealed a cracked tray (?). The part needs to be ordered. Now it's a waiting game.
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (07-03-19)
Old 07-03-19, 07:22 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by destro888
I'm having the same issues with the leak. The dealership checked the drains and they were not clogged.

Further investigation, revealed a cracked tray (?). The part needs to be ordered. Now it's a waiting game.
My drain tubes were not clogged either. I don’t park under trees & I rarely open the sun roof. The dealer knew what the problem was immediately & told me they are using a Japanese made sunroof that is made to much closer tolerances than the factory North American made sunroof. This is sad that Lexus has not dealt with this problem, but I’m grateful that the problem was fixed right the first time.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
elimmigran (07-03-19), mspearl95 (07-03-19)
Old 01-02-20, 10:34 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
No issues here either. My car is parked outdoors most of the time in rainy Seattle.
Bad news...after heavy rain I am experiencing water intrusion near the interior lights. I have a pano roof. My car has been kept indoors for over a year now.

Is there a TSB for this? Has anyone located where the sunroof drain pipes are? Any advice? I'm out of warranty.

Old 01-02-20, 11:54 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Bad news...after heavy rain I am experiencing water intrusion near the interior lights. I have a pano roof. My car has been kept indoors for over a year now.

Is there a TSB for this? Has anyone located where the sunroof drain pipes are? Any advice? I'm out of warranty.

I don’t know anything about the pano sunroof. Almost all sunroofs have drain tubes down inside the front A-pillars. I think this thread title is misleading, as my leak & several others were not from the windshield, but were from the sunroof weatherstripping shrinking over time. The Lexus fix was to install a Japanese made sunroof that is fractionally larger. I can tell a huge difference in how it seals up now. I do not know if this can be done with your pano roof.
Old 01-28-21, 11:24 PM
thebossac
Driver

Originally Posted by thebossac
Just got my car (2017 RX350) back from the dealer for this same issue, water leak from the microphone port. They put it into the car wash for inspection and stated it was due to "excess clearance between sliding roof glass and sunroof opening causing water to leak in. Removed and replaced sliding roof glass panel and for tighter fitting seal." Hopefully it won't leak again.
Almost 4 years since the sunroof was replaced , water leak from the microphone port again... 😠
Old 01-29-21, 07:10 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by thebossac
Almost 4 years since the sunroof was replaced , water leak from the microphone port again... 😠
Fortunately, no leaks so far. My sunroof is buzzing & rattling now, if I leave the sunshade open. If it’s closed, I don’t hear it. I’m convinced that Lexus cheapened the hell out of the RX with their redesign for 2016. I fail to see the quality in the RX compared to my Chevy. I’ve definitely had way more recalls on the Lexus vs. the Camaro. Sometimes that’s good & sometimes that’s bad. I just can’t convince myself to go shopping for another vehicle right now.
Old 01-29-21, 10:02 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I don’t know anything about the pano sunroof. Almost all sunroofs have drain tubes down inside the front A-pillars. I think this thread title is misleading, as my leak & several others were not from the windshield, but were from the sunroof weatherstripping shrinking over time. The Lexus fix was to install a Japanese made sunroof that is fractionally larger. I can tell a huge difference in how it seals up now. I do not know if this can be done with your pano roof.
There was a pine needle stuck in the weather seal in my roof. This might be an easy check before doing anything major. Not sure if that fixed the issue as my car is rarely parked in the rain but so far no more leaks.
Old 01-29-21, 10:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,683 Posts

There was a pine needle stuck in the weather seal in my roof. This might be an easy check before doing anything major. Not sure if that fixed the issue as my car is rarely parked in the rain but so far no more leaks.
Some folks leave the sunroof open and that exposes you to the elements that can get in there and clog the drains.

Quick Reply: Windshield Leak Dripping from Microphone port