ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/841435-heated-seats-and-steering-wheel-not-that-warm.html)

codraw 04-15-16 09:52 AM

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Been through winter like spring for the last few days and I've found the heated steering wheel gives out pretty mild warmth than my 4GS does. Has anyone notice it as well?

frubalup 04-15-16 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by codraw (Post 9449447)
Been through winter like spring for the last few days and I've found the heated steering wheel gives out pretty mild warmth than my 4GS does. Has anyone notice it as well?

I haven't owned a previous vehicle with a heated steering wheel before and don't have anything to compare with, but the heated steering wheel in the 4RX i have does seem to be quite weak. I'm not sure if it will feel different when it is actually winter and freezing out but when testing it out recently it definitely only felt just slightly warmer (can't imagine it being helpful at all when it IS cold in the vehicle).

RXOwner 04-15-16 11:31 AM

Mine gets pretty warm and I end up turning it off after a few minutes as by then the interior is heating up nicely.

mcfancy 04-15-16 11:49 AM

Yep I had a loaner and tried and found it to be weak.

sirtiger 04-15-16 11:54 AM

I used it once & thought it was weak. Then again the heated seats are weak too.....of course I am comparing my bmw which is scorching hot

frubalup 04-15-16 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sirtiger (Post 9449663)
I used it once & thought it was weak. Then again the heated seats are weak too.....of course I am comparing my bmw which is scorching hot

The heated seats I find get quite hot if it's set to maximum. I've sat in a buddy's BMW 328i with the heated seat maxed as well and I would say if it is hotter, it isn't by much. Normally I just keep it on auto now and it does its job quite well imo.

paguy 04-15-16 01:12 PM

Weak heat!!

Mdme 04-15-16 03:24 PM

Also note that only the sides heat up not the entire wheel.

Franklin5 04-15-16 07:38 PM

Same here - weak heat.

Asked my dealer about it at the 5k service and was told its due to running in ECO mode, which supposedly reduces heat output (maybe for seats too?). But I tried Normal mode and didn't see any appreciable difference. Anyone reporting weak steering wheel heat while running exclusively in Normal or Sport modes?

daryll40 04-16-16 02:16 AM

Agreed mine is weak compared to my old 2009 LS460, but still hot enough. But that may have been too hot. Perhaps they've learned that those first gen heated steering wheels were too hot.

TexasRxh 05-01-16 05:11 PM

I tried my heated steering wheel after reading this thread and must agree that it is indeed very weak. My wife's Hyundai Sonata convinced me I needed to have this in my next vehicle. I just got my 4Rxh last week and tried heating the wheel today...very disappointing. :(

FastFord 05-02-16 09:46 AM

About the same as the old 3RX. Never hot but better than wearing gloves on those cold days. Bet it feels warm once it's -20 outside.

yermolovd 05-02-16 10:40 AM

I think they toned down on the heating part in steering and butt warmers due to liability or "potential" hazard haha. I remember a few years ago there was big fuss about people saying butt warmers are too hot, someone getting burns etc.
I agree, its a warmer, not heater, the old Maxima we had would make the steering wheel toasty, but it was just right imo. It does not help that in RX its just the sides that are warm. Oh well...
I still find that thin gloves are a good idea, due to the side heaters, you still grab the cold wood steering wheel making turns. I love the wood, but it could be cold when switching from heated area. Yea, first world problems.

madmax24 05-02-16 06:31 PM

I agree

Originally Posted by Franklin5 (Post 9450158)
Same here - weak heat.

Asked my dealer about it at the 5k service and was told its due to running in ECO mode, which supposedly reduces heat output (maybe for seats too?). But I tried Normal mode and didn't see any appreciable difference. Anyone reporting weak steering wheel heat while running exclusively in Normal or Sport modes?

I have tried it in all three modes and cannot tell any difference. They are all weak. I guess my dealer should have given me a pair of driving gloves, instead of the cheap pen and 2 key chains. I'm not sure what anyone does with a key chain, since you have a key fob. :rolleyes:

roblim 05-02-16 08:12 PM

It is perfect for those cold SoCal days... It is probably the most useless feature on my car because i live in L.A. LOL.