Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm - Page 9 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - 4th Gen (2016-present)
Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm >

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

 
Old 02-07-19, 03:03 PM
  #121  
Cocal
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 443
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
Default

People living in cold climates do not find the seats warm, only lukewarm. I can only compare them to my previous cars which all had a warmer setting.
In the RX350 the seats work in conjunction with the cabin temperature. But neither they nor the steering wheel can be called warm, really.
Cocal is offline  
Old 02-07-19, 03:37 PM
  #122  
17RX350F
Rookie
 
17RX350F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 51
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikemu30 View Post
Similar weather in northern NJ. The RX is not my daily driver but when I do drive it, I end up turning the heated seats down to 1 or off completely even in single digit temps. Maybe because im not a big fan of heated seats.
Me too, I think they get pretty warm and I live in PA. I do understand what you mean as I think my 07 is350 was hotter and my GF Ford focus gets really hot seats but I think they get hit enough.

Semi off topic but my 17 cooled seats are great but had an 18 loaner and couldn't feel the cold at all? 18 was a hybrid and 17 Fsport, did they change something for the cooled seats?
17RX350F is online now  
Old 02-07-19, 04:07 PM
  #123  
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,548
Thanked 147 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 17RX350F View Post
Me too, I think they get pretty warm and I live in PA. I do understand what you mean as I think my 07 is350 was hotter and my GF Ford focus gets really hot seats but I think they get hit enough.

Semi off topic but my 17 cooled seats are great but had an 18 loaner and couldn't feel the cold at all? 18 was a hybrid and 17 Fsport, did they change something for the cooled seats?
Cooled seats in our 17 RX are delightful other than the jet engine noise when on high😁 Havent tried them yet in my 19 ES FSport as its still a bit chilly here this time of year😉
mikemu30 is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 07:32 AM
  #124  
golferjack
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 42
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I will jump on the comments with a view that I believe hybrids in general produce heat faster. I have had many non-hybrids and they worked well, but it took time for them to build up the heat. My wife’s 2016 Rav H astounded me when we first used the seat warmers. We could feel the heat within a block of the house, and the heat got too hot fast. The same is true of our RX. We cannot leave them on Hi for very long. The steering wheel gets hot fast too, but in just the two places. Yesterday, it was -15 and we had 5 miles to drive to dinner. We turned the seats down mid way. We were at dinner for a couple of hours, and when I started the Rx to go home the steering wheel was still luke warm. The non hybrids are making heat at 12 volts, while making electricity for all other needs. The hybrids are running at 200 volts and may be using a 40 volt electrical system—big difference in power available for components. In the vehicle settings our seats are set to mid range.
golferjack is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 09:08 AM
  #125  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 6,734
Thanked 307 Times in 245 Posts
Default

I recently had a 2019 RX350 loaner and was shocked by how ineffective the heated steering wheel was. I couldn't even tell it was on. No complaints about the seat heating, though.

On my Highlander, the steering wheel gets so warm I have to turn it off. It was perfect on my 2015 GS. It's not quite as warm on my 2019 GS, but good enough.
JDR76 is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 11:02 AM
  #126  
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,548
Thanked 147 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Clearly not much consistently among the various models with regard to the heated seats and steering wheel. Very odd.
mikemu30 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemu30 For This Useful Post:
Cocal (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 11:57 AM
  #127  
deusex
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ny
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

2018 450H-F no issues with heating steering wheel or seats.
deusex is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 01:02 PM
  #128  
Cocal
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 443
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikemu30 View Post
Clearly not much consistently among the various models with regard to the heated seats and steering wheel. Very odd.
Same here, it seems so odd to have such a disparity of opinions as if the voltage wasn't the same. I only know that on mine it's about 50% less warm than in the Benz.
Cocal is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 02:14 PM
  #129  
golferjack
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 42
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cocal View Post
Same here, it seems so odd to have such a disparity of opinions as if the voltage wasn't the same. I only know that on mine it's about 50% less warm than in the Benz.
The voltage is not the same between the hybrids and the non-hybrids
golferjack is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 02:20 PM
  #130  
Cocal
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 443
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golferjack View Post
The voltage is not the same between the hybrids and the non-hybrids
So maybe those who are satisfied are driving hybrids. Still love the car even with these little peccadillos.
Cocal is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 02:38 PM
  #131  
JSracer
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 621
Thanked 62 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golferjack View Post
The voltage is not the same between the hybrids and the non-hybrids
I saw where you said the 450 has what, a 40v electrical system?? lol
It does not, crazy you could think that, for accessories and everything. The starting battery would be what voltage, window switches, climate control, wiper moter, everything would be what, 40v??

Last edited by JSracer; 02-11-19 at 02:41 PM.
JSracer is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 02:46 PM
  #132  
JSracer
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 621
Thanked 62 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golferjack View Post
I will jump on the comments with a view that I believe hybrids in general produce heat faster. I have had many non-hybrids and they worked well, but it took time for them to build up the heat. My wife’s 2016 Rav H astounded me when we first used the seat warmers. We could feel the heat within a block of the house, and the heat got too hot fast. The same is true of our RX. We cannot leave them on Hi for very long. The steering wheel gets hot fast too, but in just the two places. Yesterday, it was -15 and we had 5 miles to drive to dinner. We turned the seats down mid way. We were at dinner for a couple of hours, and when I started the Rx to go home the steering wheel was still luke warm. The non hybrids are making heat at 12 volts, while making electricity for all other needs. The hybrids are running at 200 volts and may be using a 40 volt electrical system—big difference in power available for components. In the vehicle settings our seats are set to mid range.
So after driving the vehicle a few miles and parking it for a few hours, in - 15 the wheel was warm?? Did you have a few drinks so your hands were warm? I live in Minnesota, so a bit familiar with cold.
Had to highlight your 40v theory
JSracer is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 04:08 PM
  #133  
golferjack
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 42
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I miss- typed the 40 should have been 48 volts. But I am not sure about whether all systems have been converted to 48 or remain at 12 volts. The hybrid system runs, I think, at 200 volts. The small 12 volt battery runs some sensors, computers, security system, clock and other small items. The balance of the power needs are fed off the hybrid electrical system. Probably at this point in the Toyota hybrid technology they are not on 48 volts, but that is on the way. So you are correct, but my point was that the 12 volt requirements, other than those mentioned above, are provided by the hybrid system, which can provide the maximum amount of 12 volt power needed beyond what a typical car alternator can provide in a non-hybrid system. This is why the seats, for example can get hotter faster.By the way, I was not drinking that night, but maybe I should have been. The wheel really was still warm.
golferjack is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 05:45 PM
  #134  
Cocal
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 443
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golferjack View Post
. The wheel really was still warm.
Parasitic draw?
Cocal is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 06:50 AM
  #135  
golferjack
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 42
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cocal View Post
Parasitic draw?
HA! Good one!
golferjack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: