RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 04:41 PM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My problem is that the driver seat gets too hot, even when I have just one "orange" indicator light on. It gets too hot and then shuts down or lowers. I made the adjustment on the console and will see if it makes a difference.

I have a service coming up next week too.
Old 12-06-18, 11:52 AM
ocarr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Seats 2018 RX450H

I purchased a 2018 RX-450H this August. As winter approaches the Northeast it feels like the seat heaters don't work very well. I used to have a 2008 RX-350 and the seats got a lot warmer, even after ten years old when I traded it in. I've turned off the auto-setting and put it on high and I barely feel any heat. My 5K maintenance check is coming up soon and I plan to ask Lexus to check it out. I thought I'd ask them to use one of those infrared thermometers so that I can an empirical answer rather than a subjective one. Crazy question: does anyone know what the surface temperature of the seats ought to be?
Old 12-06-18, 12:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by ocarr
I purchased a 2018 RX-450H this August. As winter approaches the Northeast it feels like the seat heaters don't work very well. I used to have a 2008 RX-350 and the seats got a lot warmer, even after ten years old when I traded it in. I've turned off the auto-setting and put it on high and I barely feel any heat. My 5K maintenance check is coming up soon and I plan to ask Lexus to check it out. I thought I'd ask them to use one of those infrared thermometers so that I can an empirical answer rather than a subjective one. Crazy question: does anyone know what the surface temperature of the seats ought to be?
Sounds like something is wrong. On our 2017, I can't keep them on 3 or even 2 as they get uncomfortably warm.
Old 12-06-18, 04:32 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Same here IMO seats and steering wheel do not get warm enough; I've set all the settings to MAX but all it does it keeps the seats at max longer and does not get any warmer. A far cry from my MB
MY only dislike of the vehicle, Lexus ought to change it as soon as possible.
Old 12-06-18, 05:55 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Seats seem pretty decent to me, but the steering wheel heater seems like it could be a lot better. Barely lukewarm. The steering wheel on my 13 ES got way warmer.
Old 12-06-18, 06:40 PM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freshwater
I confirm 1 Big difference between the 2016 and 2017 Seats Heating setup on the Nav Screen is, on 2016 the bar has to be to the left to get Max Heat but on 2017 the Bar has to be moved to the right (+2) to get Max Heat as per Instruction book.
There are 5 different setting you can get from the Bars. But to tell you the truth I don't see much difference when moving the Bars.
For steering wheel we trying to put the flow of the vents towards the Wheel so that make them much warmer.

We just drove first time in Midwest Snow Storm and the SUV with All Season Tires handle very good in 6" of Snow.
I'm not sure the + and - in the settings increase or decrease the seat heat. My understanding (or maybe just my experience seems to be) is that + and - settings controls how aggressively seat heat is added when seat heat/cool is left in the Auto condition. My 2016 450h FSport seems to look at outside temperature in relation to cabin temperature you are calling for, and based on that temperature difference and your +/- settings, turns on seat heat in either 1,2, or 3, or leaves seat heat off. With seat heat/cool in Auto mode, move the temperature up and down a few degrees and see if the seat heat comes on/goes off
Old 12-07-18, 06:54 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by AST300
I'm not sure the + and - in the settings increase or decrease the seat heat. My understanding (or maybe just my experience seems to be) is that + and - settings controls how aggressively seat heat is added when seat heat/cool is left in the Auto condition. My 2016 450h FSport seems to look at outside temperature in relation to cabin temperature you are calling for, and based on that temperature difference and your +/- settings, turns on seat heat in either 1,2, or 3, or leaves seat heat off. With seat heat/cool in Auto mode, move the temperature up and down a few degrees and see if the seat heat comes on/goes off
The +/- control ONLY how long the heat will stay at Max, does not increase the heat level alas.
Same with the steering wheel as others have said barely lukewarm, better than nothing, but I'd expected much better from the Lexus R & D team.
Old 12-07-18, 08:03 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, steering wheel is lukewarm. Out of all the vehicles I've had RX has the crappiest one.
Old 12-07-18, 04:14 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
The +/- control ONLY how long the heat will stay at Max, does not increase the heat level alas.
Same with the steering wheel as others have said barely lukewarm, better than nothing, but I'd expected much better from the Lexus R & D team.
The +/- are for the automatic setting for the seat temp, warm or ventilated. Plus will make the temp of the automatic seat warmer, minus will be cooler. This does not raise the maximum of the seat. Picture it like the auto for climate and the +/- the set temperature. Say 70 is standard, for example

Only how long on max?? Not sure how that conclusion was made.
Old 12-07-18, 04:25 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
Yes, steering wheel is lukewarm. Out of all the vehicles I've had RX has the crappiest one.
It's a total rip-off, they are barely heated and the worst of all Lexus models. They didn't have any RXs with that option for me to test before I bought so I (foolishly?) assumed it would at least be similar to their other models.
Old 12-08-18, 07:10 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by JSracer
The +/- are for the automatic setting for the seat temp, warm or ventilated. Plus will make the temp of the automatic seat warmer, minus will be cooler. This does not raise the maximum of the seat. Picture it like the auto for climate and the +/- the set temperature. Say 70 is standard, for example
Only how long on max?? Not sure how that conclusion was made.
You can control, through the +/-, how long the MAX will say on, but NOT make it warmer or cooler.
Old 12-08-18, 07:35 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
You can control, through the +/-, how long the MAX will say on, but NOT make it warmer or cooler.
the + and - is for the automatic seat setting
it works like automatic climate, say 65 70 or 75, the heat and air will be adjusted accordingly.

a byproduct of cranking the + to max, is the max would stay on longer.
turn the seat to max, if you want max, and don't use auto.

Last edited by JSracer; 12-08-18 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 08:27 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe I have sensitive hands but my heated steering wheel gets really warm. I can feel them through my gloves and I have to take them off because my hands start to sweat. But I do wish the whole steering wheel was heated instead of just the sides.
Old 12-09-18, 02:19 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have since found out if you increase your cabin temperature the seats will get warmer also. Lower cabin temp. Lower seat temp.
Old 12-09-18, 03:26 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Emaniat
Have since found out if you increase your cabin temperature the seats will get warmer also. Lower cabin temp. Lower seat temp.
That's interesting !!! I have mine set at 20c. For me there is way too much technology1 What they don't trust me to run my own settings?

When it gets really cold I'll try changing the temp and see if it gets warmer.

Last edited by Cocal; 12-10-18 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm