RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 01:19 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
One thing I DO know is that the fan for the seats is quite noisy, in the summer it sounds like an outboard
Originally Posted by allwheels
The dealer can change that setting so it doesn't sound like a jet engine behind your head.
It should be noted that, with the ventilated seats, air has to be forced through the very small holes in the perforated seats. If lots of air is forced through those small holes, it is going to make (lots of) noise. Lexus could reduce the noise by reducing the amount of air that is forced through the perforations, but that would also mean that people would be likely to complain about how little air was being recirculated.

My 2013 ES had ventilated seats that were whisper quiet, but there wasn't much air flow at all, and, on the ES forum, people frequently complained about how little air flow there was. With my 2017 ES, there is much greater air flow, but there is also an increased level of sound (even though I wouldn't describe the sound level as being annoying). In any case, lots of air flow and complete absence of noise isn't an option. The greater the air flow, the more noise that needs to be created by the air being forced through the small perforations in the seats.
Old 12-15-17, 02:10 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
It should be noted that, with the ventilated seats, air has to be forced through the very small holes in the perforated seats. If lots of air is forced through those small holes, it is going to make (lots of) noise. Lexus could reduce the noise by reducing the amount of air that is forced through the perforations, but that would also mean that people would be likely to complain about how little air was being recirculated.
My 2013 ES had ventilated seats that were whisper quiet, but there wasn't much air flow at all, and, on the ES forum, people frequently complained about how little air flow there was. With my 2017 ES, there is much greater air flow, but there is also an increased level of sound (even though I wouldn't describe the sound level as being annoying). In any case, lots of air flow and complete absence of noise isn't an option. The greater the air flow, the more noise that needs to be created by the air being forced through the small perforations in the seats.
My complaint wasn't so much about the noise, but that it was noisy without results. I cannot feel anything coming out of the seat. I wish that lexus connected the seats with the A/C somehow as it is, it seems to me there is no benefit, but my wife disagrees so it may be only my seat, Who knows, I still like the vehicle
Old 12-15-17, 02:41 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

My complaint wasn't so much about the noise, but that it was noisy without results. I cannot feel anything coming out of the seat. I wish that lexus connected the seats with the A/C somehow as it is, it seems to me there is no benefit, but my wife disagrees so it may be only my seat, Who knows, I still like the vehicle
Wow you may be wearing really thick pants. Perhaps some level of subjectivity here, but the idea that you feel nothing makes me think something wrong with your mechanism.
Old 12-15-17, 04:24 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Wow you may be wearing really thick pants. Perhaps some level of subjectivity here, but the idea that you feel nothing makes me think something wrong with your mechanism.
I'll have it checked next spring!
Old 01-01-18, 08:41 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Have to Agree

My seats in my 2017 don’t heat as warm as our 2011 Ltd Awd Sienna or my X3 I traded in for the RX. Heated steering on the side vs entire wheel is probably a Lexus ploy to make people keep their hands at the proper wheel position for safe driving. Hey Lexus if you’re reading these posts you need to fix a lot of this and offer us options and accessories that are only offered in Canada and other countries. Stop short changing the US. Plus if your trying to lure customers away from other luxury brands (like me) you really need to up your game. You have the reliability down. Now up the game for suvs don’t just do it to the sports cars. I blackened out ALL the chrome on the car - what a difference for younger Middle Agers that aren’t ready for the old floaty chrome. I have guys in Jaguar FPaces commenting on how much sportier it looks without the chrome. Add the 22 way seats offered in the LS. Lincoln does. Also add a button to manually turn on the wiper deicer - don’t bury it in digital menus.
Old 01-01-18, 09:38 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

My seats heat rapidly, I can not keep the temp on high for more than a minute, maybe two. I noticed the right side of my seat gets hotter than the left, here's why. Looking down at the seat, on the right side, I can see and feel the heating element, not so on the passenger side. I'm sure it wasn't designed that way and I see no easy fix except to replace the seat and there's no way that's going to happen. On medium it works well enough.
Old 01-02-18, 10:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have a 2015 GS and a 2016 Highlander, both with heated steering wheels.

On my GS, the wheel gets comfortably warm. On the Highlander it gets so warm I turn it off after a few minutes.

I recently had a new RX loaner for a day while my GS was in for service. I was surprised that I could barely feel the steering wheel heat. No complaints with seat heating, though.
Old 01-02-18, 11:46 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Hmm, my lux 450 wheel at 3 and 9 get warm. I turn it off usually after turning it on so it must get comfortable without gloves.. The auto seat works well. Not scorching hot, but comfortable. Have not turned the heater on high, just auto.
This is in Minnesota, where it has been minus 15 degrees, for days now.
Old 01-03-18, 03:49 PM
stevenRX17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with almost everyone - just got my 2017 RX350 Luxury package - my other half already complained that the seats do not heat up like our 2015 Audi Q5 (gonna hear about that forever). I have a 2017 CT200h that I drive for commuting and my seats always get warm and toasty (fake leather) and that's here in Los Angeles - I'm thinking someone mentioned it's the type of leather they use in the luxury version? It's thicker maybe? Does anyone have a non luxury or non leather version and notice any problems??? Haven't really messed with the ventilated seats since it's winter here but the Valley gets sooooo hot so we'll see in the summer!
Old 01-04-18, 06:42 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I went into the climate control screen on my RX and noticed that there's an on/off setting for eco heat. Not in my car right now so I don't remember the exact wording but there's an option to save energy on the climate control system. I turned my eco climate control setting to off I'm not really sure if it affected the steering wheel or seat heat temperatures. Has anybody else tried this to see if it affect anything more than just the A/C?
Old 01-04-18, 10:53 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

The technician told me to not use the Automatic setting for seat heating, and rather use the manual setting. Set at maximum, I do feel a difference. Still slow to warm up but it does get hot.
Old 01-04-18, 11:30 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have no beef with the seats but the steering wheel heating locations need to be expanded. I suppose it encourages proper hand placement but I prefer to have heat over the entire steering wheel.
Old 01-04-18, 12:00 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by PeeVee
The technician told me to not use the Automatic setting for seat heating, and rather use the manual setting. Set at maximum, I do feel a difference. Still slow to warm up but it does get hot.
Doesn't make any sense! I have the seats on auto and they always start at maximum (in his cold weather) 3 lights, then drop down to 2 & 1 as they get warmer. I can't see how they would be any warmer on manual other than they would stay at max longer.
Old 01-04-18, 12:14 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Doesn't make any sense! I have the seats on auto and they always start at maximum (in his cold weather) 3 lights, then drop down to 2 & 1 as they get warmer. I can't see how they would be any warmer on manual other than they would stay at max longer.

I leave it at max all the time except switch to 2 after 30 min or so on long trips.
When automatic, it goes down too rapidly for our Canadian weather.
Old 01-04-18, 02:49 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Three images showing the ECO HEAT/COOL setting on my RX-450H as OFF, HIGHLITED and ON. Not usre if this setting affects the seats and steering wheel heat.

The following users liked this post:
PeeVee (01-05-18)

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm