RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 01:32 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Cabin air? I don't think so, it is pretty cool if the A/C is on.
The cabin is, but the seats do not have A/C the fan just recirculates the air in the cabin. Pretty useless
Old 12-14-17, 05:39 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I find that the heating & A/C is really good including the seats. Cooling seats is a joke as it recirculates cabin air and the steering wheel get barely warm at 9 & 3 position. My MB had a much better heating system in the steering wheel and it was at 360 degrees. This is something Lexus ought to change.
How do other cooled seats work? I have them in another car and it's way inferior to the cooling the RX seats seem to generate.
Old 12-14-17, 05:46 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
My 2017 450H has no noticeable drafts on the driver's side but the seat heaters are pretty anemic. Even after an hour they barely warm the seats. Same for passenger side. All my other cars have awesome seat heaters that heat up fast on the coldest days.
Same here with 2017 RX. My 2010 RAV4 V6 heated seats will burn your high knee!
Old 12-14-17, 05:53 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
My 2017 450H has no noticeable drafts on the driver's side but the seat heaters are pretty anemic. Even after an hour they barely warm the seats. Same for passenger side. All my other cars have awesome seat heaters that heat up fast on the coldest days.
Welcome to the club... I mean nothings heats up in my 2017 RX compared to old 2002 Camry. Steering wheel heater is designed to be used may be in Brazil not in Canada. Don't even talk to me about the stupid seat heaters I even wrote to Lexus head office in Japan to **** them off. They actually sent me an email back saying they are sorry "it is not up to your standards" and "we will pass this information to our engineering team".
Old 12-14-17, 11:42 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the all leather wrapped steering wheel in my RX. When i press the heat button, It gets super hot after about 30 seconds. My only complaint is that the heat points are at 9 AM and 3 PM on the wheel and they are HOT. Although, if the whole wheel got super hot like that, I would probably feel uncomfortable at some point, like touching a curling iron on low. I use the heated wheel every day when the temperature is below 50.
Old 12-15-17, 01:50 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarebird
I have the all leather wrapped steering wheel in my RX. When i press the heat button, It gets super hot after about 30 seconds. My only complaint is that the heat points are at 9 AM and 3 PM on the wheel and they are HOT. Although, if the whole wheel got super hot like that, I would probably feel uncomfortable at some point, like touching a curling iron on low. I use the heated wheel every day when the temperature is below 50.
If your steering wheel gets “super hot” there is something wrong.
Old 12-15-17, 04:53 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How do other cooled seats work? I have them in another car and it's way inferior to the cooling the RX seats seem to generate.
I don't really know, probably the same, but since manufacturers put so much emphasis on this feature I expected to notice "something" and I don't. My wife however says that she does feel a difference so perhaps it is subjective. I think it's more the hype they put on these seats that led me to believe that they were air conditioned.
Old 12-15-17, 05:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I don't really know, probably the same, but since manufacturers put so much emphasis on this feature I expected to notice "something" and I don't. My wife however says that she does feel a difference so perhaps it is subjective. I think it's more the hype they put on these seats that led me to believe that they were air conditioned.
Ours get quite cold and it's noticeable especially if you're wearing shorts. Maybe not with jeans.
Old 12-15-17, 05:25 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Lexus calls them ventilated. There is a fan built into the bottom and back of the seats that pulls "ambient" air through the seats. Works ok but not near as good as having air-conditioned seats.
Old 12-15-17, 06:16 AM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
If your steering wheel gets “super hot” there is something wrong.
Thanks, i’ll ask them to check on first service visit. The car is brand new and Lexus is new to me. I never had a heated steering wheel in my cars so not sure what it supposed to feel like.
Old 12-15-17, 06:58 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Ours get quite cold and it's noticeable especially if you're wearing shorts. Maybe not with jeans.
One thing I DO know is that the fan for the seats is quite noisy, in the summer it sounds like an outboard
Old 12-15-17, 08:07 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing I DO know is that the fan for the seats is quite noisy, in the summer it sounds like an outboard
The dealer can change that setting so it doesn't sound like a jet engine behind your head.
Old 12-15-17, 08:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah never use it on the max setting, or you'll think you're full throttle in a wide body jet taking off.
Old 12-15-17, 10:55 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by allwheels
The dealer can change that setting so it doesn't sound like a jet engine behind your head.
Thanks Allwheels !
Old 12-15-17, 12:07 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no issue with the temperature.
Just that only the 3 & 9 O'clock position has the heat element. The top and bottom is cold and I feel it every time I make a turn.
and the F Sport seat's bolster is not heated, so outer thighs feel the cold leather for a while.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm