RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 03:15 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
I have test driven a 2016 on 2 separate occasions now, and one of the items that is holding me back from trading my 2013 - which I love, is the performance of the heaters ...i mean warmers in the seats and steering wheel...In the 2013, both work very well but in the 2016, I could barely feel the difference between full on and off. So if the 2017 appears to suffer the same fate, I won't be getting one....I have some arthritis in my back and the heat makes all the difference to me...even my 2015 Sienna has wonderful heat in both the steering wheel and seats. I am extremely disappointed with Lexus. Guess it is time to start shopping for a different brand - sad because i have been with them since 2003. They have stopped listening. I wonder which bonehead made the decision to reduce the heating?

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
There is a setting in the infotainment system that allows you to increase the seat temperatures in auto setting to high.

That is too hot for me personally, but my wife likes it so it's set to hot! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Last edited by toyotaman7; 02-15-17 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-15-17, 06:36 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Na, sorry it doesn't. Just joshing.

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
It does not.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 07:58 AM
HOPPRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the forum and glad to see I'm not the only one...

Personally, I feel the amt of heat on the seats is great and I love the auto settings... set it and forget it. HOWEVER +1000 on the steering wheel... both the anemic temp as well as the lack of all over heat. Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to heat only the sides? Possibly a manufacturing shortcut to use the same 'base' wheel for both full leather and 1/2 wood? Just heat the part that's the same in all of them. Lazy.

Heated steering wheels always seem to lack any type of adjustment. In my 02 Audi A6 4.2 the wheel would heat automatically with the seats, and would just shut off when reached a certain temp. Zero control, but it was pretty toasty! BMW M3, X5, and X1 all had the perfect heat levels in the seats. Steering wheels were simple on/off but heated the entire circumference, and to a much warmer temp than the RX.

I have a friend who decided not to buy a 2016 RX at the last second after researching for months. He'll never admit it, but I believe the last straw was the heatless top and bottom of the steering wheel! LOL

Honestly tho, it's one of my VERY few complaints about the RX, first time Lexus owner and I truly love it.
Old 02-17-17, 05:08 PM
jasbur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a Grand Cherokee Overland and my lease is almost up. I was looking to step up to a better brand name that was close to same price.
The Jeep has partial wood steering wheel that is fully heated. Also, on cold mornings when I use remote start it knows it's cold and the heated seat and wheel automatically come on so they're warm when I get out there.
The Lexus doesn't do that?
I also read that when I get in the remote-started Lexus, it will shut off and I'll have to restart it - instead of it staying running.
Is that all true? It doesn't mean I'll rule out the Lexus, I'm just gathering my facts.
Thanks!
Old 02-19-17, 09:14 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jasbur
I currently have a Grand Cherokee Overland and my lease is almost up. I was looking to step up to a better brand name that was close to same price.
The Jeep has partial wood steering wheel that is fully heated. Also, on cold mornings when I use remote start it knows it's cold and the heated seat and wheel automatically come on so they're warm when I get out there.
The Lexus doesn't do that?
I also read that when I get in the remote-started Lexus, it will shut off and I'll have to restart it - instead of it staying running.
Is that all true? It doesn't mean I'll rule out the Lexus, I'm just gathering my facts.
Thanks!
Looks elsewhere, Heated seats barely get warm. Remote start is rediculous, it shuts off when you get in the car and its only free for a year. There is a significant amount of them including mine that has a vibration and exhaust drone which is so annoying. This is the first time I have severe buyers remorse. Worse part is Lexus says its all normal, what a joke. My brother who owns a Chevy Traverse asks whats wrong with your car evertime he hears and feels the vibration. How embarrassing that this car cost significantly more than his Chevy Traverse. I also own a 2016 Chevy Tahoe, zero issues, what a nice vehicle. So done with Lexus. Seems to me their just going on their name and im sure at some point it meant something.
Old 02-19-17, 12:17 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Looks elsewhere, Heated seats barely get warm. Remote start is rediculous, it shuts off when you get in the car and its only free for a year. There is a significant amount of them including mine that has a vibration and exhaust drone which is so annoying. This is the first time I have severe buyers remorse. Worse part is Lexus says its all normal, what a joke. My brother who owns a Chevy Traverse asks whats wrong with your car evertime he hears and feels the vibration. How embarrassing that this car cost significantly more than his Chevy Traverse. I also own a 2016 Chevy Tahoe, zero issues, what a nice vehicle. So done with Lexus. Seems to me their just going on their name and im sure at some point it meant something.
I agree with tjdjacwedf. But I'm not done with Lexus. Yes, they are trying to do things they never did. As this if the FIRST time they are offering these new type of features, aside from the heated seats, it's a work in progress. Is it a deal breaker? Not for someone living in california. I don't have any vibration and very minor drone noise at times. The seats get warm enough. You get used to it. The heated steering wheel is pretty weak. What got me was that it's a lexus. Reliable and dependent. Also the cost of maintenance is way cheaper than other brands. If these electronics do go out it's easy to replace compared to BMW, Mercedes, etc in which you have to replace way more than you need.

If you have time, wait it out. If not, it's your money at the end of the day. If I were your friend, I'd say test drive it and picture yourself driving it. If you can see it, go for it.
Old 02-19-17, 01:10 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

The heated seats and sreeting wheel shouldnt be a deal breaker.
The drone and vibration are another story. After owning for four months
and doing alot of research, here's my advice.
thoroughly test drive the one you are buying. Also do this little test, with the car
in park slowly rev the motor if you start to hear drone and vibration at around 1500 rpms
dont buy it. Try several if you have to, they all dont do it. Im so sorry I test drove the
demo and not the one I purchased, lesson learned.
Old 12-14-17, 08:18 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

My 2017 450H has no noticeable drafts on the driver's side but the seat heaters are pretty anemic. Even after an hour they barely warm the seats. Same for passenger side. All my other cars have awesome seat heaters that heat up fast on the coldest days.
Old 12-14-17, 08:51 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I too found the heater is weak. So I am using the butt warmer these days. The hand warmer is a joke. The lukewarm on my palms made the rest of my hands feel even colder.
Old 12-14-17, 10:42 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Wow - I just mentioned to my wife last night how powerful the heat is in ours. Very odd - I'm finding that once warmed up, I turn the temp down below 70 to keep comfy otherwise it gets too hot.
Old 12-14-17, 11:04 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Heat is amazing in the RX. The heated seats get very warm, but the steering wheel that's very weak. (and that's in ECO mode setting for HVAC)
Old 12-14-17, 11:52 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Seats on mine is not very warm (luxury). The loaner I got recently (executive) was not either.

BUT all F-Sport models I had as loaner before, they get very hot!

I asked at the dealer and tells me that the leather is thicker on the non F-Sport and the heat does not penetrate as well as in the F-Sport seats.
Old 12-14-17, 11:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I don't even used the heated seats - too warm for me even on the lowest setting. But honestly I've never been a fan of heated seats in any car I've had.
Old 12-14-17, 01:06 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I find that the heating & A/C is really good including the seats. Cooling seats is a joke as it recirculates cabin air and the steering wheel get barely warm at 9 & 3 position. My MB had a much better heating system in the steering wheel and it was at 360 degrees. This is something Lexus ought to change.
Old 12-14-17, 01:26 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Cabin air? I don't think so, it is pretty cool if the A/C is on.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm