RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket remote start options

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 11:49 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket remote start options

Anybody installed a 3rd party remote start or have any experience? Wondering if there is one out there can work perfectly with our cars.
Old 12-02-16, 02:20 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Your experience will depend on your installer. Vancouver has lots of talented aftermarket auto folks so you should be fine. I recently had the Compustar Prime G9 installed and it integrates with the car perfectly (trunk, door handle unlocking, factory alarm, etc.). I also had the factory remote programmed to start the car with a 3x press of the lock button (which is part of the Lexus Enform system in the US). The only downside is that the car will shutoff when you open the door. I was told this is for security purposes and is partly related to Toyota's ECU design. I'm not too bothered by it. All in for $450 CAD.
The following users liked this post:
tbusco (12-17-22)
Old 12-03-16, 11:58 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Getting the "wrong" installer can cause so big problems, so pick your installer carefully.
Old 12-04-16, 02:38 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
Your experience will depend on your installer. Vancouver has lots of talented aftermarket auto folks so you should be fine. I recently had the Compustar Prime G9 installed and it integrates with the car perfectly (trunk, door handle unlocking, factory alarm, etc.). I also had the factory remote programmed to start the car with a 3x press of the lock button (which is part of the Lexus Enform system in the US). The only downside is that the car will shutoff when you open the door. I was told this is for security purposes and is partly related to Toyota's ECU design. I'm not too bothered by it. All in for $450 CAD.
How did they program that feature in the Canadian car?
Old 12-04-16, 11:05 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
How did they program that feature in the Canadian car?
The module that overrides the immobilizer has that functionality built into it. So, if I wanted, I could have just forgone the aftermarket starter and used the factory remote to remote start the car. Only drawback is the limited range of the factory remote. That is exactly the setup I have on my IS350 since my parking spot at work is right beside my office.

Here is the module used: http://www.idatalink.com/search/sear...hicle_id=20890. idatalink supplies to Compustar and other aftermarket brands.
Old 12-04-16, 11:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Here's some more info on the module from the IS forums:

Demo of operation on 2014 IS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tegration.html
Partial DIY install guide: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-install.html - This was never finished by the OP unfortunately. I suspect it got too complicated (and I can't blame him with all those wires).

The installed cost of the module was about than $375 if I remember correctly. You'll note it doesn't cost that much more to install the aftermarket antenna and remote for significantly more range and 2-way communication. Most of the labour is installing this module which talks to the Lexus ECU.
Old 07-21-18, 03:01 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Viper Remote Start Installed in 2017 RX-450

Just got a Viper remote start installed in my 2017 RX-450. I opted for the 2-way system with an LCD remote that visually confirms that the car started, locked or unlocked. The remote also displays the temperature inside the car and the run time left and opens the hatch. In my case I have the remote run time set at 25 minutes buts it's programmable. I have done a lot of car remote self installs, the last two in my 2016 Jeep Wrangler ($89) and a 2015 Nissan Maxima ($129). This time I opted to have a local Toyota dealer do the install for $477 out the door. The system includes one 2-way remote (1 mile range), one 1-way remote and a Bluetooth linked phone app. I can also use 3 pushes on the factory key FOB to remote start instead of just one push on the Viper remote. You can see more details on this system on the Viper site. It recently got a bit harder to self-install the Viper system so I opted to have a dealer do it on this car. The hardest part of the install was defeating the built-in Enform remote system which interferes with the operation of the Viper system. Total install wait time was just under 4 hours which included a lot of mucking around with Enform. I've included the dealer's cut sheet showing all the other remote start models starting at $299 for a 1-way, 1/4 mile range system. All remote systems include the bluetooth phone control app function. They also offer other models that are subscription based and give unlimited range on the phone app. And yes, unlike my Chevy Avalanche, Nissan Maxima and Jeep Wrangler, the car shuts off the engine when you open the door GRRRRR!

See attached pictures for more module numbers, LCD remote screen, LCD remote side buttons, 1-way remote and phone apps on an IPhone.

Last edited by gregjhonda; 07-21-18 at 06:11 PM.
tbusco (12-17-22)
Old 07-21-18, 06:30 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I had SmartStart on my '13 GS minus the physical remote. When AT&T shut down their 2G network (yea real old school) two years ago the service was rendered useless. They offered a discount on a newer system that had a 3G modem but I just couldn't bother. Did enjoy using the app when it worked though.
Old 07-25-18, 11:08 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
And yes, unlike my Chevy Avalanche, Nissan Maxima and Jeep Wrangler, the car shuts off the engine when you open the door GRRRRR!
Directed, who owns Viper, Clifford, Python, Autostart, AstroStart, Automate and other brands also makes the BlackJax5. I've had this system on several vehicles and it works very well. Instead of cutting the engine off when you open any of the vehicle's doors, it requires you to input a code and has visual feedback to tell you that you've successfully deactivated it. What it does is protect you from carjacking by allowing the vehicle to drive a safe distance away and then activates the alarm and shuts down the vehicle's engine. There's also a valet mode.
Old 12-14-18, 10:30 AM
mvpomaha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start options

Hi here are a few things about my new car:

1. 2017 RX350 with 48k miles
2. Navigation
3. Silver and black interior
4. Seems to have most options but not the moonroof, just a regular sized sunroof.
20” tires and it’s a base model I don’t think there has been any sport designation made

i am looking to get remote start capabilities but dont want a monthly cell based subscrition. Does that make my only option the 3 punch type installation by my local stereo car starter pro shop?

thanks all

Old 12-14-18, 10:50 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I got the Viper remote start system installed at the local Toyota dealer on my 2017 RX-450H. Depending on the options the price ranged from $190 - $400 including installation. I got the optional additional FOB that works up to 1000 feet away. If the car's not locked the system will lock it and then start with one press of the FOB. The FOB also has a small screen that shows the inside car temperature and how many minutes the car has left to run so of course it also confirms that the remote start actually happened. With this system you can also use the factory key FOB to remote start the car (3 lock presses) and if within Bluetooth range, your smart phone. No subscription required. I had them program my run time for 25 minutes. Since it's a hybrid, even in cold weather, the ICE is running about half of that 25 minutes.
Old 12-14-18, 12:10 PM
mvpomaha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll ask my local OMAHA dealer
Old 12-14-18, 12:18 PM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had Vipers range 1 mile away, One 1 way and One 2 ways remote. $550 all together
Old 12-14-18, 02:24 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mvpomaha

Hi here are a few things about my new car:

1. 2017 RX350 with 48k miles
2. Navigation
3. Silver and black interior
4. Seems to have most options but not the moonroof, just a regular sized sunroof.
20” tires and it’s a base model I don’t think there has been any sport designation made
i am looking to get remote start capabilities but dont want a monthly cell based subscrition. Does that make my only option the 3 punch type installation by my local stereo car starter pro shop? thanks all

Lexus has its own remote starter, and the vehicle is prewired for it, why not go for an OEM?
Old 12-15-18, 08:59 PM
Googs
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its called paying $240/yr for their crappy starter
ROSCOGX470 (01-03-23)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start options