RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket remote start options

Old 12-15-18, 09:22 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Why don't you use Enform remote starter, assuming you have smart phone?

I just renewed my '17 RX for $16/mo. I pay for 5 months per year from November to April for $80+ taxes. For 6 years it will cost about the same as a 2way remote starter, but you may sell your car before that .

I have a 2way Compustar on my gx460 and it costs $560.
Old 12-16-18, 10:41 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Googs
Its called paying $240/yr for their crappy starter
Nope, with the starter you don't pay anything more that the starter and installation, enform does not come into play, of course this applies to canadians and those close to the canadian border that can have his done by a Lexus dealer in Canada,
Old 12-16-18, 10:56 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Enform isn't available in Canada on the RX. Lexus and Toyota Canada have a long-range starter - It's about $1200 installed.
Old 12-16-18, 11:56 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Usual
Enform isn't available in Canada on the RX. Lexus and Toyota Canada have a long-range starter - It's about $1200 installed.
The actual starter is ca$699 I don't know how long it takes to install it, but since it is pre-wired I'd venture to say that it should cast less than ca$500 in labour.

This is the route I'd follow as in this way one doesn't invalidate the warranty
Old 12-16-18, 12:06 PM
Usual
Driver

Originally Posted by Cocal
The actual starter is ca$699 I don't know how long it takes to install it, but since it is pre-wired I'd venture to say that it should cast less than ca$500 in labour.

This is the route I'd follow as in this way one doesn't invalidate the warranty
I'm seriously considering one - I wish I could test whether it will start the car from my office window.

$1200 installed, including tax is the going price, AFAIK.
https://www.kenshawlexus.com/parts/l...emote-starter/
Old 12-16-18, 01:01 PM
Cocal
Racer

I'm seriously considering one - I wish I could test whether it will start the car from my office window.

$1200 installed, including tax is the going price, AFAIK.
https://www.kenshawlexus.com/parts/l...emote-starter/
If tax is included it's a lot closer to 3hrs labour. My understanding is that it is a long range unit, How far is your office window from the car?
I saw it's 800m range, quite a distance! Ken Shaw is a good dealership

Last edited by Cocal; 12-16-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 03:21 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by SirKong
Anybody installed a 3rd party remote start or have any experience? Wondering if there is one out there can work perfectly with our cars.
If DIY is is not in your ability(only about dozen or so wires to connect or tap in) Dependable 12V shop will install it for you. You'll have to decide 1 way or 2 way and the capability of range
or one you can use with smart phone. Basic 2 way remote starter with two fobs can be had for ~300.00. Compustar(which is really iDATA link product). Personally I like iDADA link ones.
Smaller than a cigarette pack, firmware driven, very reliable. When I had RX-450h I did it myself after ordering a kit with correct firmware already flashed. Instruction is very good to follow.
Good installation will last the life time of your car.
Old 12-16-18, 05:07 PM
Usual
Driver

Originally Posted by Cocal
If tax is included it's a lot closer to 3hrs labour. My understanding is that it is a long range unit, How far is your office window from the car?
I saw it's 800m range, quite a distance! Ken Shaw is a good dealership
It's not much more than 100m, but there is another building between my window and the parking lot.
Old 12-16-18, 05:52 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

It's not much more than 100m, but there is another building between my window and the parking lot.
If there is obstacle between you and your car range maybe shortened. 2 way fob tells when the attemp to start the engine is successful. IMO,
spread spectrum FM type gives good range. At street level signal works around corner usually.

Old 12-17-18, 07:57 AM
Cocal
Racer

Bummer! Would the signal go through the bldg? I don't know what kind of signal it is, blue tooth or something else, if blue tooth it should work, I think
Old 12-17-18, 04:38 PM
Cocal
Racer

What a pity you're not closer to me! This is what my dealer sent me, a real bargoon........This month at Lexus of Lakeridge we are offering the Lexus Genuine START+ system for just $799 plus tax which includes installation!
P.S. On second thought it may well be worth your while, Ajax isn't that far from down town TO
Old 03-08-19, 06:46 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Cost Effective Alternative to Enform Remote Start

Ok so I wanted to get a remote start for my 17 RX450h. I had been paying for the Enform service just so I could start my RX with my cell phone ($16 a month but more on that later). All of the other "stuff" it provides via the phone app
is nice to have but realistically, the remote start is really what most people want (and can't get without out the monthly subscription). I found a company called MyPushCart (MPC) that sells remote start kits that use
your OEM key FOB just like Enform does (push lock three times). I ordered a kit off Amazon and planned to DIY the install. It's a little intimidating but not real difficult (about 2 hours of removing parts of the dash etc). However, since I have a carport and not a garage, I hired some local installers to do the work ($140). It took them about an hour and had it all up and running. IT WORKS GREAT. I cancelled my Enform subscription and
can remotely start my car from the comfort of my home. The remote is actually a rebadged Fortinc system. All plug and play. No splicing wires. The added benefit is that you can buy the phone app/hardware off Amazon for $200. Install that module and you GET THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY ON YOUR PHONE AS THE ENFORM PHONE APP. There is an annual fee but the first year is free. After that, it's (currently $29 a year). This
module and app will give you GPS location, door lock/unlock commands, remote start etc etc. Same as Enform. I'm thinking of doing that myself later this year once the weather gets warmer. Right now, I'm immensely happy with the remote start. So happy that I had the same kit installed in my wifes 15 ES300h. Of course, she objected to spending the money on it but after the blistering cold days we've had recently, she's really grown to appreciate it as well.
The following users liked this post:
Shello (02-01-22)
Old 03-09-19, 06:43 AM
sjj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AkiD
Ok so I wanted to get a remote start for my 17 RX450h. I had been paying for the Enform service just so I could start my RX with my cell phone ($16 a month but more on that later). All of the other "stuff" it provides via the phone app
is nice to have but realistically, the remote start is really what most people want (and can't get without out the monthly subscription). I found a company called MyPushCart (MPC) that sells remote start kits that use
your OEM key FOB just like Enform does (push lock three times). I ordered a kit off Amazon and planned to DIY the install. It's a little intimidating but not real difficult (about 2 hours of removing parts of the dash etc). However, since I have a carport and not a garage, I hired some local installers to do the work ($140). It took them about an hour and had it all up and running. IT WORKS GREAT. I cancelled my Enform subscription and
can remotely start my car from the comfort of my home. The remote is actually a rebadged Fortinc system. All plug and play. No splicing wires. The added benefit is that you can buy the phone app/hardware off Amazon for $200. Install that module and you GET THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY ON YOUR PHONE AS THE ENFORM PHONE APP. There is an annual fee but the first year is free. After that, it's (currently $29 a year). This
module and app will give you GPS location, door lock/unlock commands, remote start etc etc. Same as Enform. I'm thinking of doing that myself later this year once the weather gets warmer. Right now, I'm immensely happy with the remote start. So happy that I had the same kit installed in my wifes 15 ES300h. Of course, she objected to spending the money on it but after the blistering cold days we've had recently, she's really grown to appreciate it as well.
In visiting the Mypushcart website for my 17 RX350 it says it’s not compatible with American models with the Enform system. Sounds like you didn’t have an issue with your 17 450h?
Old 03-10-19, 07:10 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjj

In visiting the Mypushcart website for my 17 RX350 it says it’s not compatible with American models with the Enform system. Sounds like you didn’t have an issue with your 17 450h?
Not sure where you see that. I just looked on their site and didn't see that remark. Anyway, my 17 RX450h is the same as your 17 RX350 when it comes to the remote start and no I didn't have any problem with the Enform. In fact my Enform subscription was still active when I had the remote installed. You can always give them a call and ask just to be sure. Their refund policy is a little strict. Basically, if you use it at all, it voids a return so it's better to check first. Also, if you plan on having it professionally installed, CALL AROUND. Prices varied widely in my area. I called 4 installers and got prices all over the map. From $140 to $475 (wow). The installer
came to my house and was done in an hour for $140. He also said he stocks the Fortinc remote for $50 (which is what the MPC system is), and can program it for any car's model. It may be an idea to call around and see what your local installers can provide. I opted for the MPC/Fortinc remote starter so that if I ever want to use the cell phone remote function, I can buy the compatible module and subscribe to the service. (and the fact that I can use my OEM remote). I didn't want anything fancy so the idea of spending several hundred for a fancy remote starter AND have the hassle of having an extra FOB to carry around, wasn't something I really wanted.
Also my installer said that Fortinc is a well known, reliable and well established company.
The following users liked this post:
lgb0250 (11-16-19)
Old 03-10-19, 12:57 PM
sjj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AkiD
Not sure where you see that. I just looked on their site and didn't see that remark. Anyway, my 17 RX450h is the same as your 17 RX350 when it comes to the remote start and no I didn't have any problem with the Enform. In fact my Enform subscription was still active when I had the remote installed. You can always give them a call and ask just to be sure. Their refund policy is a little strict. Basically, if you use it at all, it voids a return so it's better to check first. Also, if you plan on having it professionally installed, CALL AROUND. Prices varied widely in my area. I called 4 installers and got prices all over the map. From $140 to $475 (wow). The installer
came to my house and was done in an hour for $140. He also said he stocks the Fortinc remote for $50 (which is what the MPC system is), and can program it for any car's model. It may be an idea to call around and see what your local installers can provide. I opted for the MPC/Fortinc remote starter so that if I ever want to use the cell phone remote function, I can buy the compatible module and subscribe to the service. (and the fact that I can use my OEM remote). I didn't want anything fancy so the idea of spending several hundred for a fancy remote starter AND have the hassle of having an extra FOB to carry around, wasn't something I really wanted.
Also my installer said that Fortinc is a well known, reliable and well established company.
Good to hear you didn't have an issue and agree I'll need to call them to be sure. Here's the link to their site where I saw it https://shop.mypushcart.com/plug-n-p...7-lexus-rx350/

I's mentioned under Special Notes. Here's the exact text, "SPECIAL NOTES: Our remote start kits are ONLY compatible with automatic transmission vehicles. To prevent theft, the remote starter will shut down the vehicle when a door is opened. Not compatible on American models with Enform system."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start options