RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Auto High Beam Disappears

Old 01-16-18, 03:36 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

great information there ^^^
Old 01-16-18, 09:13 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tkspeedy5
Cause
  • Apparently on a very small percentage of cars with the auto high beam capability a film can develop on the inside of the windshield between the camera lens which is housed in a sealed box on the back of the rear view mirror, the camera obviously facing forward
  • No one in our car smokes, the cause of the film is unknown
  • Cleaning off the outside of the windshield at the top does not alleviate the problem as the film is on the inside of the windshield and on the camera lens
  • The film was distorting what the camera was observing and it made repeated attempts in a very short time (I'm assuming nano seconds) to determine if the high beams should be on or off
Likely interior materials off-gassing. Excellent writeup and something I will periodically check and clean. Thank you!
Old 01-16-18, 11:56 AM
tkspeedy5
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

SoCalRX
Thanks for the compliment. You say that YOU will periodically check and clean.
My car was on warranty so there was no charge for the DEALER to do this.
I assumed checking and cleaning was something only the dealer could do.
Are you intending to do this yourself? If so how?
I ask because once the car goes off warranty if this ever re-occurs I don't want to have to pay a hefty fee to have the problem rectified.
BTW dealer did use the words "camera re calibrated". I don't know what that means as I didn't follow up with a question on that item because I was so happy to get back the RX in working order.
So... what does re-calibrate really mean and would this preclude a owner do it yourself fix in the future? Just asking.
Also BTW the numerous test drives at night by the dealer
  1. They specifically asked permission to take the car out at night
  2. They gassed it up before they gave it back to me
Kudos to Jim Hudson Lexus of Augusta for doing the two things mentioned above. Also, it seems from this thread that this very irritating but rare malfunction has been going on a long time and either it has never been properly diagnosed or those posters who got it fixed didn't come back and tell us how it was resolved.
Regards
Old 01-16-18, 12:34 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tkspeedy5
You say that YOU will periodically check and clean.
My car was on warranty so there was no charge for the DEALER to do this.
Agreed that under warranty why bother doing it when the dealer can perform the cleaning. Glass will show the haze that can be seen under a flashlight or sunlight, even the underside when peering through the front of the glass. By doing so you can gauge when it is getting hazy again (if it does and off-gassing is still occurring). Below is a video exhibiting front windshield replacement of a 4th GEN RX. You can skip ahead to the 6:30 minute mark where the disassembly and removal of the affixed components takes place:

Old 01-16-18, 12:45 PM
tkspeedy5
Driver School Candidate

Thanks but....
I can a complicated computer data base but I am all thumbs with no tools when it comes to cars.
All I heard was "If you push it up instead of down, then you break all these clips and then you have problems" LOL
Hopefully they sealed it tight when they discovered and resolved the problem and it won't re-occur.
I it happens again off warranty (it took 18 months from acquisition of the new car until the problem arose) I'll just go back to the dealer and either pay the freight or convince them to fix it again for free as it is a design flaw.
Third option... hire the guy in the video.
Regards
Old 01-16-18, 12:46 PM
tkspeedy5
Driver School Candidate

BTW good tip about being able to check for haze with a flashlight from the outside
Old 01-16-18, 12:47 PM
tkspeedy5
Driver School Candidate

I can MANAGE a complicated data base .... my bad
Old 01-22-18, 06:57 AM
tkspeedy5
Driver School Candidate

Last post on this subject. The Lexus Augusta had an ES customer with the same symptoms. Just heard from them today via text. Problem and solution identical to mine.
I would say this subject can be put to bed. Hope others reading this discussion forum get the word. I don't know how to post this to other threads of other models that have this problem.
Maybe the site admin can do this for me.

Regards
Old 02-18-18, 07:44 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto High Beams 2017 RX

Intelligent high beams worked flawsley for 3 months, then one dark early morning the Auto Iocn flickered and never returned. Waiting to build a list of issues before returning to dealership only for this issue. My Dealer Service Rep said he had never heard of the camera inside the windshield cloud issue.

I have the HUD and I think the HUD button is out as well. I do not want to touch it because the HUD is on and I use it daily.

I am hoping since the intelligent high beam is completely out that it will be easier to find the fix.
Old 02-18-18, 08:08 AM
tkspeedy5
Driver School Candidate

No HUD on mine and problem was intermittent. Sounds like a different illness but with similar symptoms.
Old 02-19-18, 08:21 AM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lexus is 9 month old with 16,000 miles. Last week the "auto high beam" indicator has been intermittent. It will come on and then disappear. I will have to take it in and ask service about it. It is kind of unsettling when the indicator goes off. The lights still work the way they are supposed to.
Old 02-19-18, 08:42 AM
tkspeedy5
Driver School Candidate

Default I can help you

This is the EXACT problem I had. See my post of 1/15/18 on page 2 of this discussion thread. Print it and take it to your dealer and if they want additional information have them call Jim Hudson Lexus of Augusta GA and have them talk to the head of the service department.
Old 03-04-18, 08:51 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

As was reading through this today, I began to wonder what other features that use that front facing camera that could also be getting disabled. My new RC is still a month out, so have been binge reading everything I can...
I just looked at the active safety list.

Automatic High Beam (AHB) discussed here
Lane Departure Alert (LDA) uses the front facing camera to see lines on road.
Pre-Collision System (PCS) uses radar + front facing camera to detect objects

Would be kind of scary if these systems were being impaired, or turned off by the dirty inside window as well. It might not be as obvious as there aren't icons that say whether they are enabled or disabled to my knowledge.
If these are getting impaired, it ups the ante on getting this fixed.
I have no evidence at this point that these other systems are affected, just speculating.
Old 03-04-18, 10:15 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scooky
Would be kind of scary if these systems were being impaired, or turned off by the dirty inside window as well.
Such is the current nature of the beast for these sensors and the ones to come: For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare
Old 03-05-18, 08:39 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 17450
My Lexus is 9 month old with 16,000 miles. Last week the "auto high beam" indicator has been intermittent. It will come on and then disappear. I will have to take it in and ask service about it. It is kind of unsettling when the indicator goes off. The lights still work the way they are supposed to.
My '16 Rxh does this occasionally. I tried a bunch of things to get it to come back on with no luck. Turning car off/on seemed to fix it but who wants to do that when you're on the highway? Then one day I tried this sequence:
  1. Turn off high beams (pull stalk toward you)
  2. Turn off the Auto high beam switch on the dash
  3. Turn on high beams (push stalk toward the windshield)
  4. Turn on Auto high beam switch
...and it worked. This thread reminds me I need to put this on my list for the next visit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto High Beam Disappears