RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Winter Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 08:21 AM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I am going to use my old winter rims from my 3RX. I installed Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV in a 235 65 18. This size is within 0.5% of the stock 20" tires. I had Nokian's before and found them to be very good in winter conditions. They also wear very well.
This is my exact thinking, a lesser diameter rim, a taller profile diameter so the speedo stays somehow accurate and the legendary (now Russian made) Hakkepeliitta's
Old 08-29-17, 12:38 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

The ride is a little softer to with the taller tire. The 235 65 18 have worked out very well. Now stop talking about winter tires, it's still August lol
Old 09-17-17, 07:37 PM
BoredWork
Driver School Candidate

Hey all
I have a 1 year old set of Xice3 that are 225/60R18 mounted on 7x18" ET39 that is the standard lexus/toyota bolt pattern
I know the RX uses 235/65R18 on 8x18" ET35

Besides the offset and rim width difference, the tire circumference are just under 5% difference and I've been reading that max should be 3% delta
I also read this guide line below
"Federal standards in the United States allow a maximum 5 mph error at a speed of 50 mph on speedometer readings for commercial vehicles."

Besides being 5% higher in actual mileage and 5% slower on the speedometer in the winter months (approx. 5-6 months), any issues with abs or traction control? or even the LSS+

Planning to get a 2017 in next few months

Thanks
Old 09-18-17, 05:36 AM
FastFord
Racer

My old winter tires were 235 60 18 and I used them on my 3rx. It came with the 19" wheels and 235 55 19.

When I went to the 4rx with the 20" wheels I used my 18" winter wheels but traded the 235 60 18 in for 235 65 18 to match the height of the 20 "

If you get the 18" wheels on the 4rx, then go to a 225 60 18 for the winter the sizing will be off and out of recommendation, but I don't know how it will affect abs traction control or any of the LSS safety features. I doubt that many tire places would recommend this set up.

I was surprised how much I got when I traded my old winter tires for a new recommended set. I got $100 dollars each for trade and paid only $110 each for a set of Nokian. My old winters had two seasons and about 15,000 kms. I thought that was a good deal. You might be surprised how much you can get for your one year old Xice3.

If it was me, I would not do the 225 60 18 on my 4rx....but that's just me.

I use this tool for checking wheel/tire stuff....maybe you have a similar tool...

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=50mm&sr=0mm
Old 09-18-17, 08:05 AM
BoredWork
Driver School Candidate

Thanks FastFord

I figured 5% is too much variance for the unknown ABS/TC/LSS+ functions

I will probably buy new winter tires and unmount the Xi3 to use the same rims again

Good thing is I can sell them off to the NX people here or Kijiji
Old 09-18-17, 09:39 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I think that the EOM mags I bought for my winter tires is 8" wide... I will verify.

And I went for the Bridgestone DM-V2. And i was very happy in last year's snow storms!
Old 10-02-17, 12:31 PM
BoredWork
Driver School Candidate

looks like i picked up my RX faster than expected!

need new winter tires for sure
deciding between Xi2 and DM-V2
thanks to all that gave me the answers (@FastFord @PeeVee)

Last edited by kitlz; 10-02-17 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 02:25 PM
FastFord
Racer

You should consider the Toyo Observe GSi-5...I have had these and they are very good in snow, good on ice and don't wear out!

I had over 20,000 miles on a set and traded them in for a different size...they looked brand new and I got $100 each on trade...I would buy again!
Old 10-03-17, 07:53 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by FastFord
You should consider the Toyo Observe GSi-5...I have had these and they are very good in snow, good on ice and don't wear out!

I had over 20,000 miles on a set and traded them in for a different size...they looked brand new and I got $100 each on trade...I would buy again!

It was my second choice but then the sales guy at Costco told me that the tire is getting old, no new development on the design since a long time.

But I opted for the DMV2 when I read some trial test reports of winter tires where it came out first rank most of the time. Continental was also highly rated...

My problem with Michelin is that all the ones I had before where no good on snow, excellent only on icy and black ice covered roads. They were great on snow only the first year.

My two cents and a half!
Old 10-04-17, 06:05 AM
FastFord
Racer

Maybe the Toyo are getting old as I got mine three years ago. maybe four now...I would by again....However I'm running Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV now, and liked the Toyos better.

Here is some ad thing on the Toyo's....
Introduced five years ago, the Toyo Observe GSi5 has made its mark as a great winter tire for those looking for a safe and dependable drive in the colder months. In fact, it ranks among Auto123.com’s top winter tires in the medium price range.Whether you own a passenger car, minivan, crossover, SUV, or light truck, there is a wide range of sizes to choose from as you prepare to face the tough Canadian winter.Featuring a deep thread, the Toyo Observe GSi5 has the technology to handle all winter and cold weather driving conditions including snow, slush, ice, and other tricky surfaces. In particular, an advanced multi-directional sipe technology ensures maximum grip when you are cornering, accelerating or braking.What’s more, its Microbit compound delivers improved performance in snow and especially on ice. Believe it or not, thousands of crushed walnut shells―one of the hardest natural substances in the world―are incorporated into the compound to act like tiny spikes and literally dig into ice.
Read more at https://www.auto123.com/en/news/wint...RydZyfw3mY4.99
Old 10-04-17, 06:54 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

I was under the impression that it was the Nokian tires that had the shells in them, But I heard of that before!

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-04-17, 07:12 AM
FastFord
Racer

I think a few manufacturers are using them now.

Nokian R2 are great in the wet and slush, good on ice, good in snow. Better than good on dry cold pavement.
The Toyo were great in snow, slightly better than good in slush and wet, good on ice.

I guess the weather and conditions really drive how well a winter tire works. And with the bizarre kinds of winters we have been having lately, one year the tires are great and other winters maybe no so much.
Old 10-04-17, 07:26 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

They are predicting a brutal (overdue) snowy winter this year in the northeast. How's the AWD on the Lexus?

Toyo Observe GSi-5 235/55R-20 are $200 per tire, pricey. How noisy are they on dry highway roads?
Old 10-04-17, 07:46 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
They are predicting a brutal (overdue) snowy winter this year in the northeast. How's the AWD on the Lexus?

Toyo Observe GSi-5 235/55R-20 are $200 per tire, pricey. How noisy are they on dry highway roads?

ive used other Toyo Observe snow tires - i think it was the gratis??? this was several years ago but they were noisy as hell from what i remember. more so than my experience with continental winter contact and general arcitmax .. but any snow tire will be noisy in general because of the tire material, tread depth and pattern..
Old 10-05-17, 05:50 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC

AWD on the RX is good, you won't get stuck in the snow with winter tires. I was waiting for my wife one day outside her work and got buried by a plow. I took the trac control off put it in locked AWD and drove thru no issues...I was impressed, with the car/tire combo...That was with the Toyo Observe GSi-5.

Are the Toyo noisy? I would say yes in dry winter conditions, but not so bad I ever really notice. I can put up with noise for the safety and performance of a good winter tire. As stated above, I don't know if there is a quiet winter tire. My Nokian are slightly less noisy but don't perform as well in heavy wet/dry snow as the Toyo.

The Toyo did not show any kind of wear, I bet you can get many years of use and many miles out of them. I was impressed with how well they still performed after three winters. I run them from the first cold snowfall, till as soon as it shows any kind of winter ending. Running any winter tire when it's warm out shortens their life fast.

If you get any substantial kind of winter weather, I would guess that any decent winter tire is going to perform well in most conditions. It's hard to get the perfect tire for all winter conditions. Only you know your weather conditions for your area. What works well in Northern Alberta, or East Coast USA are two different climates and would probably be two different tires.
The following users liked this post:
TeKKieNYC (10-05-17)

Quick Reply: Winter Tires and Rims