RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Winter Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-17, 07:47 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

how does the awd 450 do in snow, since there is no lock for awd ??
thanks !!
Old 10-05-17, 09:42 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
how does the awd 450 do in snow, since there is no lock for awd ??
thanks !!
Immediately after they opened the pass (closed due to snow), I was blasting pass semis and many other SUVs incl. BMWs, Audis, Fords, Volvos. I wish I had captured the drivetrain information screen so you could see how the 450h worked its magic.
Old 10-07-17, 05:37 AM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by destro888
Good day,

What are the recommendations for winter tires including brand and tire sizes? Also, what are good winter rims for our vehicles?

I like purchasing based on value but don't mind spending more if it makes a bigger difference.

Thanks.
A year ago, I purchased winter wheels, tires and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack. I have used Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires for probably 25 years, but I'd guess there are other good tires out there as well. The wheels resemble the F Sport factory wheels on my 2016 RX450h. For some reason, the TPMS sensors would never register with the handheld device to register them to the car. Eventually, I had the Tire Rack TPMS sensors replaced by my dealer with factory sensors which work fine, and Tire Rack refunded the price of the TPMS sensors.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires and Rims-capture.png  
Old 10-10-17, 08:34 AM
d2fresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys know if it's okay to run 235-65-18 on a 2016 RX F-sport?

I'm looking for winter tires and most of the tire shops are saying I'll need to run 20's similar to my F-sport rims. I'm looking at Xi2 or DMV2s. Does anyone has experience with Ultragrip or GSi5's?
Old 10-10-17, 09:16 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by d2fresh
Do you guys know if it's okay to run 235-65-18 on a 2016 RX F-sport?

I'm looking for winter tires and most of the tire shops are saying I'll need to run 20's similar to my F-sport rims. I'm looking at Xi2 or DMV2s. Does anyone has experience with Ultragrip or GSi5's?
That's what I have for winter tires. Mine is not F-Sport but I don't think it matters.

Pros: Cheaper tire than 20", softer on suspension.
Cons: Need an extra set of rims or mags (I bought the OEM 18" Lexus winter mags all silver)

The following users liked this post:
d2fresh (10-10-17)
Old 10-10-17, 11:59 AM
kg11
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Read this message as I was having 235 65 18 winter tires (Hakkapelliita) on non-oem allow rims with second set of TMPS sensors put on 2017 350RX F-sport. Ordered on-line, but just specified base model to get 18-inch. Established tire service company had no problems with the choice.

A Bit more road noise than the oem tires, but it helps drown out the droning engine . Slightly softer ride. Feels a bit 'boatier' so not sure if the adaptive suspension has changed, or maybe just the tires.

The TMPS seems to be changed over as well, but the oem wheels are in the back, so the test will be when I put them away for storage

Last edited by kg11; 10-10-17 at 12:00 PM. Reason: mention tpms updated
Old 10-10-17, 01:05 PM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PeeVee
That's what I have for winter tires. Mine is not F-Sport but I don't think it matters.

Pros: Cheaper tire than 20", softer on suspension.
Cons: Need an extra set of rims or mags (I bought the OEM 18" Lexus winter mags all silver)

I've never seen these wheels before. Can you send a link to where to see them online? They remind me of Highlander Limited wheels.
Old 10-11-17, 04:57 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by AST300
I've never seen these wheels before. Can you send a link to where to see them online? They remind me of Highlander Limited wheels.

The picture was taken from Lexus Canada web site but could be bought only directly from the dealer.
Old 10-11-17, 07:10 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by AST300
I copied the picture from the site last year but could not find it anymore except in the header on that page that show different models of mags and mine is the one in close-up on the right .

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/parts-service/accessories

EDIT: I just noticed that they are a bit different, I think mine is more the one from the header, I should go check and take a picture.

Last edited by PeeVee; 10-11-17 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 07:37 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I think that the EOM mags I bought for my winter tires is 8" wide... I will verify.

And I went for the Bridgestone DM-V2. And i was very happy in last year's snow storms!
I verified my OEM mags and they are 9" wide.

And it is exactly the model that I have showed earlier.

Old 11-15-17, 06:54 AM
RXBurbmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Lexus Canada has a winter tire package with 18" lexus rims, sensors and Michelin tires.

I'm getting mine installed next week.
Parts manager said they come with the wheels. Are there the wheels you got? Lexus Canada and Europe accessory wheels.
Part number PW457-0E000
Those are nice! Do you know if they are the alloy rims? Do they come in the black? I have a 2016 RX350 F Sport and am looking to get new winter tires and rims for it. I have 20" tires and rims on now that came with the f sport. I live in Northeast and we get snow and ice. Every time we've bought a car, we've also gotten new winter tires for them but no rims as the size was fine. This is the first time since back in the '80s when my Hubby had a '84 Toyota Supra that we've had to get different sized tires and rims. So it's been awhile and we don't know what's out there now. Planning to call our local dealer but wanted to get a head's up on what is available and what our options are before talking to them. They're an hour away so I can't just drop in on them. TIA for any advice!!

Hubby spoiled me with my new RX350 last October. Was just about to order a fully loaded Highlander Platinum pkg but then he asked me if I would prefer the Lexus RX instead. LOL That opened a can of worms and the research started to see what else was out there in that range. After looking at Porsche Macan, Cayanne, Benz, BMW, etc....Lexus won me over.
Old 11-15-17, 05:25 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

These are Alloy rims. Only in silver though.

I bought them last year and they are nice. Stood up to the salt pretty good. It's only one year though.

I bought them with sensors, but now it's an additional $100 per year to switch the tires because of the tpms programming
RXBurbmom (11-16-17)
Old 11-15-17, 05:58 PM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

I bought them last year and they are nice. Stood up to the salt pretty good. It's only one year though.

I bought them with sensors, but now it's an additional $100 per year to switch the tires because of the tpms programming
That seems like a lot to re-program TPMS sensors. In the Western U.S., we have a tire store chain Les Schwab. I believe they have charged me $24 to "re-learn" the TPMS sensors, and sometimes they just do it gratis. If I have bought the tires from Schwab, they definitely do the re-learn for free. Similar experiences with Costco. I think I would shop around to see what others will charge. $100 seems excessive. It takes about 5 minutes to do the re-learn for 4 wheels.
Old 11-15-17, 07:42 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I change tires/rims seasonally, program TPMS using Tech Stream or TPMS trigger/scan tool myself. Been doing this for years for all
cars in the family.
RXBurbmom (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 02:57 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

tech stream looks like toy's scanner, had to google it. more a domestic and universal guy for scan tools.
what is the trigger/scan tool, and does that work on the new rx ??

do cloned sensors work on the lexus, and wouldn't that eliminate programing ??
have to see how bad a new 450 is in the snow we get in minnesota, not looking forward to swapping snows on 2 vehicles, lol. (tire/wheel, not just tires)

Quick Reply: Winter Tires and Rims