RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Winter Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 06:32 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
tech stream looks like toy's scanner, had to google it. more a domestic and universal guy for scan tools.
what is the trigger/scan tool, and does that work on the new rx ??

do cloned sensors work on the lexus, and wouldn't that eliminate programing ??
have to see how bad a new 450 is in the snow we get in minnesota, not looking forward to swapping snows on 2 vehicles, lol. (tire/wheel, not just tires)
Tech Stream is little cumbersome to use but it does the job. Regarding trigger/scan tool, look into Autel one. trigger, scan to get the tpms ids. then connect to OBD II port, execute relearn command. That's it. Takes less than ~30 mins. at the most. Hybrid snow mode is not that good. For an example it does not have diff. lock like regular RX. IMO, the reason is read axle has only one motor vs. Acura MDX has two motors. Also torque steer is something to note. Last week end I went out to our cabin, almost stuck in the snow. Never happened with previous cars MDX, X5, etc. Now keep looking at GX. Cloned sensor won't do anything. You will get "check tire pressure" warning, etc. I have 3 vehicles in the family. Now daughter is married away. All have two sets of rims/tires.

Last edited by Htony; 11-16-17 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-16-17, 10:24 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Tech Stream is little cumbersome to use but it does the job. Regarding trigger/scan tool, look into Autel one. trigger, scan to get the tpms ids. then connect to OBD II port, execute relearn command. That's it. Takes less than ~30 mins. at the most. Hybrid snow mode is not that good. For an example it does not have diff. lock likeregular RX. IMO, the reason is read axle has only one motor vs. Acura MDX has two motors. Also torque steer is something to note. Last week end I went out to our cabin, almost stuck in the snow. Never happened with previous cars MDX, X5, etc. NOw keep looking at GX. Cloned sensor won't do anything. You wi;; get "check tire pressure" warning, etc. I have 3 vehicles in the family. Now daughter is married away. All have two sets of rims/tires.
You don't need a center diff lock for it to be good in snow. The hybrid will engage the rear wheels at all speeds whereas the regular RX will disengage the center diff around 25mph to prevent overheating.
Old 11-16-17, 10:51 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ericsan13
You don't need a center diff lock for it to be good in snow. The hybrid will engage the rear wheels at all speeds whereas the regular RX will disengage the center diff around 25mph to prevent overheating.
When you want to get out of situation being stuck in deep snow diff. lock makes difference. Not talking about driving on snow.
Old 11-16-17, 09:49 PM
ericsan13
Racer

When you want to get out of situation being stuck in deep snow diff. lock makes difference. Not talking about driving on snow.
Sure thing but the RX shouldn't be in deep snow anyway. When slip is detected the hybrid engages the rear drive. It is essentially the same as a locking center diff except that it works at high speeds too, and with instant torque for that matter.
Old 11-16-17, 10:30 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Sure thing but the RX shouldn't be in deep snow anyway. When slip is detected the hybrid engages the rear drive. It is essentially the same as a locking center diff except that it works at high speeds too, and with instant torque for that matter.
What I am trying to say is real AWD system has all 4 wheels independently working when stuck sending more power to wheel(s) which has traction. SH-AWD, Quattro,
X-drive... and interestingly Acura MDX hybrid has two motors for rear axle vs. one in RX.
Old 11-17-17, 12:47 PM
ericsan13
Racer

What I am trying to say is real AWD system has all 4 wheels independently working when stuck sending more power to wheel(s) which has traction. SH-AWD, Quattro,
X-drive... and interestingly Acura MDX hybrid has two motors for rear axle vs. one in RX.
Ok got it, but in terms of hybrid vs. hybrid neither cars have 4 wheel independence. But RXs with VDIM may have the ability for brake based L-R torque distribution (which would put it in above group), but I have not tested this.
Old 12-09-17, 01:13 PM
jdoury
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to put snow tires on my lexus is 350. IT has sport tires and rims now.

looking to put snow tires on my lexus is 350. can you help? It is leased, and lease is up in 6 months but i plan to buy it.
Old 12-09-17, 01:59 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try checking out Tire Rack or Car ID. You can enter your car year, make, and model and they'll show you everything's compatible with your car.
Old 01-11-18, 09:06 PM
kss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winter tire size with F sport 3 package

my dealer is throwing in winter tire/rim set and giving me option of 20" or 18" Blizzak DM-V2 winter tires with non-OEM alloy rims. Usually, i've gone one size smaller, but going from 20" to 18" looks like it is a lot smaller. With my 2010 RX350. my regular rims for 19" and I got 18" winters.

I think the 20" look a lot better, but from a winter driving perspective, am i better off going with 18"? Since the dealer is including either set for me, so for me cost is not a factor to consider. The dealer's normal selling price for the sets are $2900 for the 18" and $3400 for the 20".

I had read that you should go a size smaller, but I'd appreciate any feedback on what size would actually be better for winter driving, or if it even makes a difference.
Old 01-12-18, 05:06 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

makes no difference, i would do 20's the width would both be comparable,
when people go smaller, its either cost, or narrower tires, smaller wheel and taller tire doesn't gain anything. still tons of tire height on the 20's

hope that makes sense.
Old 01-12-18, 07:39 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

18's would provide a substantially more comfortable ride in winter when roads tend to become rougher/potholed and tire rubber doesn't flex as well. You have to substantially moderate the way you drive on winter tires anyway so you might as well be comfortable.

BTW, 17" wheels and winter tires would have worked fine on your 2010 RX and cleared the brake calipers with plenty of space and will even fit your gen 4 RX F-Sport according to Tire Rack.

I've been using Blizzaks on our vehicles since they were introduced something like 20 years ago. I always downsize the winter wheel size when possible, i.e. when smaller wheels will fit over the brake calipers, but never go with a narrower tread since doing that negatively affects braking on dry pavement.
Old 01-12-18, 08:16 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JSracer
makes no difference, i would do 20's the width would both be comparable,
when people go smaller, its either cost, or narrower tires, smaller wheel and taller tire doesn't gain anything. still tons of tire height on the 20's

hope that makes sense.
It makes difference. Generally i" under size rim and corresponding skinnier tire choice is good. My Audi SQ5 summer rim is 21" but winter one is 19".
When I had RX I had winter tire on i" under size rims. It gains more traction in deep snow compared to wider tires.
Old 01-12-18, 08:26 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

all things equal a 1" taller tire and smaller wheel makes zero difference. the rolling diameter is the same, and if you convery the tire size, the width is the same

.taller sidewall, sure that could be more comfortable.
Old 01-12-18, 10:45 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
18's would provide a substantially more comfortable ride in winter when roads tend to become rougher/potholed and tire rubber doesn't flex as well. You have to substantially moderate the way you drive on winter tires anyway so you might as well be comfortable.
BTW, 17" wheels and winter tires would have worked fine on your 2010 RX and cleared the brake calipers with plenty of space and will even fit your gen 4 RX F-Sport according to Tire Rack.
I've been using Blizzaks on our vehicles since they were introduced something like 20 years ago. I always downsize the winter wheel size when possible, i.e. when smaller wheels will fit over the brake calipers, but never go with a narrower tread since doing that negatively affects braking on dry pavement.
All true except the narrower tire, while a narrower tire may affect braking, though at regular speed it's not a factor, it will greatly improved your traction in snow & mud as the psi is greater and thereby reach hard pavement better.
Old 01-12-18, 10:48 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

It makes difference. Generally i" under size rim and corresponding skinnier tire choice is good. My Audi SQ5 summer rim is 21" but winter one is 19".
When I had RX I had winter tire on i" under size rims. It gains more traction in deep snow compared to wider tires.
Concur Completely !!

Quick Reply: Winter Tires and Rims