RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Why doesn't RX350 offer a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 10:46 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why doesn't RX350 offer a turbo?

After driving the 4RX for 6 months, I think this car could use more power. For such little cost, Lexus could have easily throw in a turbo or offer that as an option. Yes, 4RX has more HP but there is added weight since the 3RX which I had....so its the same to me. Since its a totally redesigned vehicle, the RX should be in front of the pack with their peers for HP. To me, only the Infinity QX60 is severely underpowered compared to the competition.

RX350= 295HP
MKX= 303HP, optional 335 HP
XC90= 316HP
MDX= 290HP
Q7= 333HP
QX60= 265HP
X5= 300HP
Old 09-07-16, 11:39 AM
jimos
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There'a already the hybrid if you want a little more horsepower. More likely, you'll see the 4-turbo brought here to reduce cost and fill in the bottom end.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...rx350-f-sport/

But this is only the first year and if they brought out everything planned, what would they do next year?
Old 09-07-16, 02:01 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jimos
There'a already the hybrid if you want a little more horsepower. More likely, you'll see the 4-turbo brought here to reduce cost and fill in the bottom end.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...rx350-f-sport/

But this is only the first year and if they brought out everything planned, what would they do next year?
RX Hybrid doesn't any sense to me. Yes, it has more power but its also negated by the 300-400lbs of batteries. Hybrid requires premium gas while the non hybrid can take regular gas...so there is no savings and almost definitely a loss.

Thanks for the link. I'll admit I didn't even consider the NX because of the I4 turbo. If the NX had the V6 option, I would have look at it. Strange that article compares the RX to BMWs....very different animal...esp the X5M or the Porsche...I driven the X5M, its a beast on wheels.

Last edited by sirtiger; 09-07-16 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 02:16 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

I don't know what you "4RX is underpowered" guys are used to as far as quickness, and grant that I came off of a 2001 Tacoma v6 with 200HP and the same weight as my 4RX, but I have owned some pretty quick vehicles in my younger days and I feel the 4RX is plenty powerful. Between the gearing, the 8-speed trans, and that 300HP 265ft lbs. mine moves very well. Besides, it isn't a performance car it's an SUV and 0-60 in about 7 seconds is quick for an SUV. You guys must be coming off of some higher end stuff with like 4-500HP to think this thing is slow.
IMO it doesn't need a turbo. It has proven to have WAY more than just adequate power to overtake freeway speeds, hills, jams, and even a couple jerks trying to shut me out from a lane.
Just saying.
Old 09-07-16, 02:31 PM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
It has proven to have WAY more than just adequate power to overtake freeway speeds, hills, jams, and even a couple jerks trying to shut me out from a lane.
I've had the Acura turbo 4cyl, and Subaru and Nissan V6s, and the RX is more responsive than all of them. If its not enough you should get the MK-V or SQ5.
Old 09-07-16, 02:44 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Radio88
I don't know what you "4RX is underpowered" guys are used to as far as quickness,
I never claimed it was underpowered. I was surprised it didn't have more HP given its a totally redesigned vehicle and compared to its peer. I had the 2014 3RX which was 270HP, about 4200lbs.....compared to 2016 4RX which is 295HP, 4400 lbs....its about the same to me from acceleration standpoint. I'll admit the 8 speed & gearing gives it a different feel when I am accelerating compared to the 6 speed.
Old 09-07-16, 03:12 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I never claimed it was underpowered. I was surprised it didn't have more HP given its a totally redesigned vehicle and compared to its peer. I had the 2014 3RX which was 270HP, about 4200lbs.....compared to 2016 4RX which is 295HP, 4400 lbs....its about the same to me from acceleration standpoint. I'll admit the 8 speed & gearing gives it a different feel when I am accelerating compared to the 6 speed.
I am almost certain my FWD is 4222lbs, while the AWDs are a little more due to the extra drive components, so mine gains about a quarter second in a quarter mile drag. Is yours AWD? I think I read that it is around 4380lbs for AWD. But that equates to almost an extra 160lbs of driveline? I could be wrong.
BTW your 3RX was the same 0-60 as the 4RX, no slouch. I think the 3RXs are very cool too. I don't care much for anything older though.
Old 09-07-16, 03:26 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

^^sorry if I didn't get the precise weight #s as its confusing (curb weight, weight, AWD, hybrid, etc)....I picked it up from online sources. My 2014 RX and 2016 RX were both AWD...I am pretty sure the 4RX is a bit heavier which cancels out the HP gains. Again, I am not claiming either car is underpowered but just making a statement that I was a bit surprise it didn't a bigger bump in HP compared to their peers. I have floored both RX and feel the 3RX seemed quicker...but feeling isn't reality. Its possible the 4RX is more refined or going thru more gears (8 speed). Yes, I am aware these are heavy SUV/Crossovers and not drag racing vehicles. I am just comparing to the old 3RX and their peers in the same category.
Old 09-07-16, 08:17 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

According to Edmunds, your 2014 was no lightweight at 4343lbs for the AWD. At 270HP and 248lbs torque, there theoretically should be a notable uptick in acceleration in your 4RX AWD which is basically the same weight but with 20 more HP and 20lbs more torque, I would think.
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-350/...eatures-specs/
Old 09-08-16, 03:19 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Even if Lexus were to offer turbo next year they would decrease the size of the motor and we would realize little gain. The existing motor is proven and I am pretty sure they will stick with that.
Old 09-08-16, 06:04 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

For those of you that have driven the Hybrid 4RX and gas 4RX, does the Hybrid feel more responsive? I'm guessing no, but I haven't driven a hybrid and reading this thread made me think about this.
Old 09-08-16, 06:26 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Even if Lexus were to offer turbo next year they would decrease the size of the motor and we would realize little gain. The existing motor is proven and I am pretty sure they will stick with that.
why would they need to decrease the motor size? If BMW can throw twin turbo in their I6 bay I am sure lexus can find room in a SUV....turbos don't take up that much space. I am just stating that for a few hundred bucks, there will be a decent increase in HP output.
Old 09-08-16, 08:56 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
why would they need to decrease the motor size? If BMW can throw twin turbo in their I6 bay I am sure lexus can find room in a SUV....turbos don't take up that much space. I am just stating that for a few hundred bucks, there will be a decent increase in HP output.
Because it would use too much gas has nothing to do with "finding room".

The US Government gives incentive$ for a MFG to have good gas mileage, that is why we got stuck with the 8 speed that changes gears at such low speeds. Every mile per gallon for a model counts big time.

Just like when Ford went to the new aluminum bodies, instead of allowing the customer to have increased performance by shedding over 600 pounds, they reduced the size of the ecoboost motor so you were back to the same hp per pound ratio. It did greatly increase the gas mileage which Ford loved.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 09-11-16 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 09:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

sirtiger, I've driven the RX from when it first came out in 1998, hybrid since 2009. During that time, the HPs went from 215 up to 308 HPs. The latter number is for the '16 450h. Power has not been an issue for me. If I wanted something with turbo and more HPs, an SUV would not be my first choice.

BTW, my 4RXh in eco mode has the same if not better acceleration and responsiveness than my 3RXh in regular mode. Plus it gets noticeably better mileage. The extra weight has had no effect. There's one thing I have to agree with you on, the 450h is not for you. It changes the way you drive.
Old 09-08-16, 10:08 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Ford stuck a 3.5L twin turbo into their Explorer Sport which is 365HP and 350ft.lbs torque. That's nice power, but the Explorer is 4900lbs! And they charge you well over $52,000 for the power upgrade. When I bought my 4RX, it was down to an Explorer Sport 3.5 Ecoboost and my RX at the same relative price point. The RX was my choice based upon mainly that I was very content with its power and confident in its stellar Lexus quality. So glad I chose my RX. That Explorer is a pig.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't RX350 offer a turbo?