RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

If you were to do it again, what options would you get or do away with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 10:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

We already have discussions about the difference in gas cost between the 350 and 450h here and also somewhat in this thread. I have to ask to continue the conversation in either one. It's time to get back on topic.

Old 09-01-16, 06:48 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Touch free trunk. More cool to play with if ur works. Useless came with the car
Old 08-17-17, 11:55 AM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Given a chance to Re-Purchase your vehicle

Hi all,

If you could rewind time to the moment your car was being purchased, what would you do differently?

Example:
Adding/Removing vehicle options
Accessories
Finance Lease Buy
Colour Interior Exterior
Hybrid Non-Hybrid
Old 08-17-17, 12:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by destro888
Hi all,

If you could rewind time to the moment your car was being purchased, what would you do differently?

Example:
Adding/Removing vehicle options
Accessories
Finance Lease Buy
Colour Interior Exterior
Hybrid Non-Hybrid
So far I'd change nothing but I've only owned the vehicle for a month or so.
Old 08-17-17, 12:28 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

450H without a question. Although my transmission has been improved (TSB), it's days are numbered.

In fact I was out driving a LC500, a RC300 Fsport and another RX450 today. Dealer said he's ready to take mine back...at a cost of course.
Old 08-17-17, 12:51 PM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotten F-sport, I can't take looking at plastic LUX wheels everyday, they even look small. I can't wait to get the early lease return post card from LFS to get rid of this truck, it really is lack luster complete disappointment. I have had many models and this is first Lexus I am truly disappointment with everything expect the interior, there are a lot better trucks on the market for less then what this thing cost. If your on the fence look at other models or brands...
Old 08-17-17, 02:05 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

my only regret is not asking for a larger discount.. otherwise, we have been happy with the car... 4 months and 5000 miles later.
Old 08-18-17, 08:53 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I bought two so I already did it again. Would do it again in a second.

My poor LX sits in the garage while the tow RX450's have all the fun!
Old 08-19-17, 09:37 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

1 year and 27,000km later in my RX-350 Executive, I really should have gone with the RX-450h. Love everything else about the car, except when sitting around idling in heavy traffic and a lot of really slow parking lots around. Hah.
Old 08-19-17, 10:40 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

If I could get a "do over", I would delete the pano roof, the heads up display, and the no-touch tailgate. Instead I would have selected an RX450h with the luxury package. I would keep the colors though, nightfall mica and black.
Steve
Old 07-13-20, 01:55 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2.0 Safety Features - Must Haves vs Nice to Haves

What would you guys consider the must-have safety features you actually use within the Lexus Safety 2.0 system?

Based on my test drives and youtube videos I've seen:

Must Haves: Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Break, Pre-Collision System (pedestrian/bike detection)
Nice to Have: Lane Keep Assist (seems weak, especially for sharper turns, better than nothing I guess), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (keeps too much of a distance from cars in front)
Ineffective: Auto High Beams (seems to flash incoming traffic or cars you're trailing too frequently)

Would love to hear what those of you who own the RX with 2.0 think of some of these features given your day to day driving.

Which ones do you use everyday?

Last edited by blayze1983; 07-13-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 02:33 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 418 Likes on 221 Posts

Blind spot monitoring is #1 for me, and I use adaptive cruise a lot, too. The only downside to adaptive cruise is I occasionally don't notice that I've come upon a vehicle going slower. The adjustment is smooth, and it will be some minutes before I notice I'm going slower than intended. Not a big deal, though, and clearly a driver problem.

I enable Lane Keep Assist only if driving while tired. It's annoying, otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
blayze1983 (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 02:49 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 2016 RX, and am occasionally tempted with the Safety System+ 2.0 in the 2020 RXs whenever I get them as loaners, but there aren't many driver aids that I would consider to be a "must have."

BSM w/ RCTA is the one that's probably the most useful for me. RCTA has saved my *** a few times in parking lots. PCS is also a useful one too, although it's useful only when you need it. The all-speed DRCC in the newer RXs is a nice to have, but in heavy rush-hour GTA traffic, I prefer not using cruise at all. I don't find much use in LTA or LKA as I too find it annoying. Same with RCTB, I have a very tight parking space in my condo garage and newer RXs will automatically brake even though there's still some space for me to go, so I always turn it off. AHB is useless for me, I can't think of a time when I've used it.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndrewTO:
blayze1983 (07-13-20), coolbrazz (07-14-20)
Old 07-13-20, 03:25 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
I have a 2016 RX, and am occasionally tempted with the Safety System+ 2.0 in the 2020 RXs whenever I get them as loaners, but there aren't many driver aids that I would consider to be a "must have."

BSM w/ RCTA is the one that's probably the most useful for me. RCTA has saved my *** a few times in parking lots. PCS is also a useful one too, although it's useful only when you need it. The all-speed DRCC in the newer RXs is a nice to have, but in heavy rush-hour GTA traffic, I prefer not using cruise at all. I don't find much use in LTA or LKA as I too find it annoying. Same with RCTB, I have a very tight parking space in my condo garage and newer RXs will automatically brake even though there's still some space for me to go, so I always turn it off. AHB is useless for me, I can't think of a time when I've used it.
Thanks man - good to know. I'm from Toronto too so a lot of the day to day annoyances you described (rush hour traffic, cramped condo parking) really resonate.

Sounds like everyone agrees BSM and Rear Cross Traffic Alert is useful.
Mixed reviews - Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
Annoying/Useless - Lane Keep Assist / Auto High Beam.

Has anyone had any experiences with the pedestrian/bike detection? I don't even know how to activate those come to think of it...

Last edited by blayze1983; 07-13-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 03:41 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Pedestrian and bike detection are part of the PCS so it'll be activated if you have PCS turned on. Earlier 4RXs only had daytime pedestrian detection as part of the PCS, whereas post-refresh RXs with 2.0 can detect pedestrians at low light and bikes during the daytime.

For me, I've never had the PCS activate in a situation where there's a pedestrian or bike in front of me as I usually brake well in advance.

Quick Reply: If you were to do it again, what options would you get or do away with?