RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

exterior welcome lights don't light up anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 09:45 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default exterior welcome lights don't light up anymore

I actually don't know what to call the feature so I'm just calling them welcome lights but basically these are little light strips on the top of the door handles and under the exterior mirrors. They light up when you approach the car with your keys in the pocket. I recently took my car in for the 5k miles service and asked to update a few things that can only be done with the dealer like change the lane change blinker to more than 3. I don't recall making any other changes except to opening the moonroof vs tilting the moonroof when you hold down the unlock key but it seems like the person might have accidentally changed a setting that controls this welcome light feature. I couldn't find anything on the actual navigation or mini information center between the speedo and tach so I'm assuming it's only a setting that the dealer can change. Does anybody know which item number it is on the personal settings list that need to be changed back to bring back this feature?

We have a 2016 RX250 with the luxury package if that makes any difference between the different RX models.
Old 08-25-16, 11:22 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The welcome light feature only works if your vehicle is locked and you approach it with your key in your pocket.
Old 08-26-16, 01:59 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The welcome light feature only works if your vehicle is locked and you approach it with your key in your pocket.
dchar is correct and if the vehicle is not locked the exterior puddle light do not activate.
Old 08-26-16, 06:22 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
dchar is correct and if the vehicle is not locked the exterior puddle light do not activate.
Yup. I'm aware the vehicle needs to be locked. I've tested this every which way that I can think of. The key is being recognized because when I approach the vehicle, the interior lights turn on and of course, I can open the doors.
Old 08-26-16, 06:28 AM
bam
Lead Lap

I finally found some mention of what I'm referring. Officially, Lexus apparently calls them Outer Foots Lights. They're briefly referred to in the Owner's Manual on page 508 and it's only in reference to the various lights bulbs that can be replaced. Cross referencing on the custom settings worksheet, it looks like it number 33: Illumination of the Outer Foot Lights when Approaching the Vehicle. That needs to be changed to On.
Old 08-27-16, 05:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Yup. I'm aware the vehicle needs to be locked. I've tested this every which way that I can think of. The key is being recognized because when I approach the vehicle, the interior lights turn on and of course, I can open the doors.
sounds like your Lexus dealer changed a thing or two in error. I would return and have them change it back.
Old 08-27-16, 07:46 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I am unsure if your model is different.

Those with the pano view monitor DO NOT have puddle lights under the side mirrors due to the camera.

The only puddle light available are lights that shine down towards each door under the door handle. This is before you touch the door. Only when you are near.

There may be an option to change this on the Carista app. Not sure yet.
Old 08-27-16, 09:21 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I am unsure if your model is different.

Those with the pano view monitor DO NOT have puddle lights under the side mirrors due to the camera.

The only puddle light available are lights that shine down towards each door under the door handle. This is before you touch the door. Only when you are near.

There may be an option to change this on the Carista app. Not sure yet.
Mine has the pano view and still has the LED under the handles along with the light strip
above and below the handle bars.
Old 08-27-16, 09:31 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Mine has the pano view and still has the LED under the handles along with the light strip
above and below the handle bars.
Yes, that's what I said haha. I'm just explaining that there isn't anything under the SIDE MIRRORS. I still feel like it's plenty light to see at night.
Old 12-22-16, 04:14 PM
beer88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light strip on door handle

I don't see my light on door handles coming on when I approach the RX. It did go on earlier anyone know if I could have turned off somehow
Old 12-22-16, 10:31 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Your car has to be locked for the puddle lights to work.
Old 12-23-16, 03:51 AM
beer88
Driver School Candidate

Door is locked could it be something to do with the Enform app
Old 12-23-16, 04:01 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

It also has to be dark enough!

Do you have the carista app? If not nevermind.

Have you taken it to the dealer and got any settings customized?
Old 12-23-16, 04:45 AM
beer88
Driver School Candidate

It worked when I got the car the interior light comes on but does it have to be dark I do park by a light at night could it be to light for the door handle lights to come on
Old 12-26-16, 06:48 AM
beer88
Driver School Candidate

Just figured it out. You Have to turn on in vehicle custom exterior light on. The delay setting when shutting off car. I turned mine off and door handle lights wouldn't come on so I changed to 7.5 seconds delay off and all works

Quick Reply: exterior welcome lights don't light up anymore