RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panoramic Roof Fell Apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 07:17 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Panoramic Roof Fell Apart

Well, was driving today in the morning and decided to open the pano roof. As the roof was opening, bits and pieces started to fall into the cabin. I pulled over to the side and put the pieces back together. Now the roof is opening and closing with a loud grinding noise and there's a loud thump while driving with the roof closed. The roof is also leaking this silicone type gel which I'm assuming is used as a lubricant.

No damage or trauma to the pano roof prior, so not sure what's going on. Will take it in to the dealer and let them take care of it...
Old 08-09-16, 07:32 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Pics please
Old 08-09-16, 07:41 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Sorry, no pics, I put everything back together the best I could, don't want to touch it so the dealer can deal with it. Just hope it's one defective part and not an issue for the rest of you guys.
Old 08-10-16, 08:12 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Hey man,

I know you were one of the first to have the RX so sorry about that.

Could you tell us how often you use the pano roof? Do you park outside? How often do you wash your car? Etc?

Just want to see if it is a defect or something that happens with constant use/time.
Old 08-10-16, 08:41 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

I wouldn't say I use the roof often, maybe several times per month. I wash my car every two weeks and the car gets parked half the time outside and half the time inside. I've had the car since Thanksgiving.

I've noticed today that with the roof closed, there's still wind coming in, so most likely the roof will have to be resealed. Most likely due to all the silicone gel stuff leaking out... Taking it into the dealership tomorrow, will keep this post updated.
Old 08-20-16, 06:25 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

So after a week of my car being in the shop, they still don't know what's wrong with the car. They're thinking they might have to take the whole roof apart and possibly replace it. What a bummer...
Old 08-20-16, 07:19 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SoKali-RX
So after a week of my car being in the shop, they still don't know what's wrong with the car. They're thinking they might have to take the whole roof apart and possibly replace it. What a bummer...
wow
was just thinking about you today.. Saw my pano roof and noticed clumps of silicone lubricant in places haha. Use that rental car!!! Vegas baby!
Old 08-21-16, 12:56 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Anyone know if it is possible to get the monthly payment waived on the vehicle if the car happens to be at the dealership for over a month?
Old 08-21-16, 01:32 PM
jwrichter
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default /

Anyone know if it is possible to get the monthly payment waived on the vehicle if the car happens to be at the dealership for over a month?
What you smokin?

Last edited by FLYCT; 08-22-16 at 07:49 AM. Reason: fixed quotation format, added a "]"
The following users liked this post:
Geekteach (12-20-19)
Old 08-21-16, 01:47 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Originally Posted by jwrichter
What you smokin?
Just out of curiosity, didn't know if it was possible. Doesn't seem fair to me to be making payments when I can't even drive my car...

Last edited by FLYCT; 08-22-16 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Fixed quotation formatting, added a "]"
Old 08-21-16, 02:55 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Just out of curiosity, didn't know if it was possible. Doesn't seem fair to me to be making payments when I can't even drive my car...
If your in rental, and this is deemed a warranty issue (hopefully they dont turn around state user error, claim your insurance), then I doubt your entitled to anything. However if you feel thats not true, ask, see what they say. Theres always avenues of approaching the situation. Lemon Law, asking etc. Worst comes to worst, your shown the insurance avenue. Best comes to best, you get what you want.

Last edited by FLYCT; 08-22-16 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 06:03 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I understand how you feel, but since they are taking care of you (trying to repair the RX and put you in a loaner) there is a slim chance they are going to make a payment. However, see how much longer this takes and before contacting Lexus contact your dealerships GM and explain the situation to him or her in a very polite way, and do your best not to talk bad about the service dept unless absolutely necessary.

Explain the situation and how long the RX has been in service, and tell the GM that you would like Lexus to make a payment as a "goodwill gesture". If you contact Lexus corp with this request they will contact your GM and your GM or some else from the dealer will contact you.

From what I had learned in my long buy back process with MBUSA several years ago, the GM is the one who gives the approval 90% of the time on requests like this and usually would rather be contacted first instead of having corp contact them.. Good Luck..

Last edited by FLYCT; 08-22-16 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 08:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Not if providing a rental. You are funny
Old 08-22-16, 02:37 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Originally Posted by jwrichter
What you smokin?
Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Not if providing a rental. You are funny
No, I'm not being funny. The fact that they kept my vehicle without providing me any updates and asked me to come in on a Friday afternoon while I'm at work to help them figure out what is wrong is unacceptable. I paid for an SUV because of the utility of the vehicle so if you're going to provide me a rental, it better be similar to my car. But no, they have a policy of only providing IS and CT, so I was being serious with my question. If you don't have anything useful to add to the topic, then don't post.
Old 08-22-16, 04:40 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default panoramic roof

Your are the one being funny. What if you were one of the many who pay cash for their vehicles and this happens. Then what would you expect. Do as the person above stated. Be calm, act in a professional manner, and discuss with the GM and then go to corporate if necessary. DO NOT demand anything! State your case and ask what they can do for you. In my business if you come in and demand anything, all I am going to do is show you the door. I have had couple of issues over the years and by acting in a professional manner you will be surprised at well you may be treated. I would say if the car is a rental, that it really is not your car. It is a rental, and I would suggest if the issue cannot be resolved in a timely manner (30 days), that they replace your vehicle with a like vehicle. When they repair/solve the issue with the damaged rental then can sell on the open market. Your problem solved, and in the end the manufacturer/dealer will most likely come out ahead financially. I have owned Toyota/Lexus vehicles going back many many years and have always been treated well no matter the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Geekteach (12-20-19)

Quick Reply: Panoramic Roof Fell Apart