RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Garage door programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 05:44 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
The one thing you may not have done as requested in the instructions is to replace the battery of the GDO remote. Going by the age of your GDO it must have rolling codes so pushing the learn button is a must and within 20 seconds the homelink button on the mirror. Bets to have 2 persons for this task.
That is why I always open the door and push the learn button on GDO so I can quickly go to the car. Also ignition should be on for the car. When code is learned door starts going down.
Old 05-21-18, 05:00 PM
tim552
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak HomeLink signal on RX350...

Both our 2018 and 2012 RX 350's have very weak HomeLink signals. We have to be right up on the garage door to make the car talk to the opener. But my Honda Ridgeline truck can open the door from 100 feet away. Is there a cure for the two Lexus cars?
Old 05-21-18, 05:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Google something like "how to expand the range of a garage door opener". Do it at the garage door antenna - not at the vehicle.
Old 05-21-18, 05:35 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

likely interference by surrounding wireless systems.. they all broadcast within a specific range, I believe most garage door openers work in the 288 - 433MHz range, however there are a large number of things that can interfere with this range, from Wi-Fi networks to Cordless phones, Air Conditioning systems to Various lighting products.

we had an issue with ours as well until I switched my Wi-Fi to an alternate channel, I did this because I was having Wi-Fi issues with a neighbor who was using the same broadcast channel, and I had to switch mine to recover my Wi-Fi signal in one part of my home that his signal over rode, lightly because his router was closer to that side of the house, when I did this I noticed the homelink started working from several hundred feet away. As my Wi-Fi and Garage Remote smart home unit are close together I caulked it up to changing the channel on the Wi-Fi from the default channel 6 to something else less common.
Old 05-21-18, 09:16 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

My RX450h opens the garage door three houses down, after I had a new garage door. The previous one used the old homelink v1 and required a homelink v2 repeater. The range on this repeater was quite small. The new garage door opener has honelink v2 and is much faster and has longer range than home link v1.

Make Ke sure your antenna cable is extended all the way. Also check for interference and that the system is not surrounded by a lot of metal.
Old 05-21-18, 10:11 PM
tim552
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks to those who replied. These are ideas I never even considered...will give them a whirl.
Old 05-22-18, 06:22 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

I would also make sure when you program the Homelink in your car, make sure you have a fresh battery in your garage remote. If you program it with a weak signal, the Homelink will have a weak signal. Sounds weird I know but that's how it seems to work.
Old 05-22-18, 06:26 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
My RX450h opens the garage door three houses down, after I had a new garage door. The previous one used the old homelink v1 and required a homelink v2 repeater. The range on this repeater was quite small. The new garage door opener has honelink v2 and is much faster and has longer range than home link v1.

Make Ke sure your antenna cable is extended all the way. Also check for interference and that the system is not surrounded by a lot of metal.
Lol....think of the fun you could have, driving down the street, holding down the garage button and seeing what happens!
Old 05-22-18, 07:00 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tim552
Both our 2018 and 2012 RX 350's have very weak HomeLink signals. We have to be right up on the garage door to make the car talk to the opener. But my Honda Ridgeline truck can open the door from 100 feet away. Is there a cure for the two Lexus cars?
I had this exact same thing happened with my IS350.... basically it turned out to be programming/sinking with opener. Look in youtube for proper way of programming homelink to the correct device opener that lifts up your door. I believe I had to put a ladder ready and had to press something at the opener motor and then come down to the car withing a few seconds to get it to work.
Old 05-22-18, 09:14 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tim552
I had a similar problem that ended up being a neon light in my garage was interfering with my RX remotes. Once removed from garage everything was back to normal. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-22-18, 10:30 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Of all the RX's I've had this 2017 has had the weakest homelink signal. Wonder if it has something to do with the radar and automatic braking systems.
Old 05-22-18, 11:48 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine works from at least 100 feet away, no different than other cars I have had.
Old 05-22-18, 12:31 PM
frazierwa
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue. My range initially was about 200' line of sight, then it 'intermittently' dropped to about 30'. Turns out that when my LED landscape lights are on it diminishes the range substantially. I haven't figured out a way to reduce the impact of the LED lights, but at least I know that in the evening I must be in the driveway before the door can be opened.
Old 05-22-18, 01:57 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by frazierwa
I had the same issue. My range initially was about 200' line of sight, then it 'intermittently' dropped to about 30'. Turns out that when my LED landscape lights are on it diminishes the range substantially. I haven't figured out a way to reduce the impact of the LED lights, but at least I know that in the evening I must be in the driveway before the door can be opened.

more likely the transformer you use for the lights..

might try a different brand/model
Old 10-18-18, 10:54 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New RX learn to use Homelink????

I have a relatively new garage door opener. My older RX was able to use homelink on the auto. I am having trouble getting my new 2018 to "learn" to use the homelink.

I followed the manual, since opener has rolling codes. Pressed the learn button on the back of the opener until red light went on. Then quickly got into car and pressed and held one of the 3 homelink buttons for 2 seconds and did this 3 times. Now it still does not work. HELP!!

Quick Reply: Garage door programming