RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Garage door programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 07:18 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

We have a mq lift master.

It's as easy as pressing the yellow learn button, holding a button on your RX rear view mirror till it blinks slowly. Then taking your remote and holding it whilst holding the button and it should rapidly blink.

If it rapidly blinks already that means you messed up so you have to clear all the presets by holding the far left and right buttons until it blinks slowly. Then you can start over
The following users liked this post:
JJEPuppy92 (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 07:30 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JJEPuppy92
I just bought 2018 Lexus RX 350. I need to program my garage door to open however the remote opener is lost. Is is possible to still program the car remote opener with the actual remote that came with garage opener system?
Keep in mind that without fob it is not possible. Homelink learns your signal pattern from your fob. Your GDO unit learns the signal from homelink which is duplicate of signal from fob. Do you have keypad on the wall? If so, use that in lieu of fob. What brand is yout GDO? You can get replacement fob from eBay easy.

Last edited by Htony; 03-27-18 at 07:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Htony:
JJEPuppy92 (03-27-18), Lexmus (12-02-18)
Old 03-27-18, 01:00 PM
JJEPuppy92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't accurately proofread what I wrote. So the issue is the original remote for the garage door is missing. When you say fob are you talking about the key to car or is that a term for garage opener as well? I do have keypad on the wall for both sides of my garage and the brand is Sears. How can I do it with keypad on wall though if isn't too much trouble for you to explain. Thank you so much.
Old 03-27-18, 05:35 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

I didn't accurately proofread what I wrote. So the issue is the original remote for the garage door is missing. When you say fob are you talking about the key to car or is that a term for garage opener as well? I do have keypad on the wall for both sides of my garage and the brand is Sears. How can I do it with keypad on wall though if isn't too much trouble for you to explain. Thank you so much.
I'll assume the keypads/buttons on your garage wall are hardwired to the opener, so I don't think you can program the Lexus with them. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a new remote from Sears and program it to your opener and then, the Lexus. Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-27-18, 05:56 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Adding to what 'ravenuer' has listed. If your keypad has a cover, open it. If there is a screw holding on a lower cover below the keypad, unscrew it. If there is a 9v battery under that cover then you can remove the keypad as you should see screws affixing to the wall or garage door jamb as your unit is not hardwired. As 'ravenuer' has mentioned, use this as your remote control inside your RX to program the Homelink feature. If your keypad is hardwired then get a ladder and look on the back of the physical garage door opener where the model number should be located. Write down that model number and then go online to find the manual. The manual will give the remotes that it needs and then you can go on eBay or a hardware store and find an aftermarket remote that will work with your unit based on the model number.

Go here to learn how to program your remote into your RX's HomeLink system on the rearview mirror: HomeLink Programming Instructions
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (03-28-18)
Old 03-27-18, 06:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I'll assume the keypads/buttons on your garage wall are hardwired to the opener, so I don't think you can program the Lexus with them. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a new remote from Sears and program it to your opener and then, the Lexus. Hope that makes sense.
Yes, I meant remote fob. Older model GDOs had wired keypad. Newer ones are wireless. What is your GDO model?
Homelink is dumb device, it just learns fob signal and store it in of the 3 memory banks(hence you can use it for 3 different
devices) It acts like the fob. That's it. All 3 cars use homelink now. Old remote fob is still in the car as a back up.
Old 03-29-18, 11:54 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI.............. beware, there are a number of things that can interfere with your garage door openers operation. Neon lights, led light bulbs and some transformers used on various components can duplicate your remotes frequency and cause all kinds of havoc.
Been there done that with a neon clock in my garage. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-29-18, 01:52 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Look on the opener motor for the model number. Either look up the opener online or go to Sears & get a replacement fob. I believe Chamberlain made most of the Sears openers, but probably not all. I have a Chamberlain & I added 2 extra mini fobs for our motorcycles. The fobs don’t cost that much & you really need one in case your keypad fails or you sell your house. No one wants a house without an opener key fob (you would have to buy it then anyway).

Someone mentioned that lots of stuff interferes with the openers. That’s an understatement! I changed out my opener bulbs with cooler, brighter LED bulbs & suddenly, my door would fail to open without pushing the button multiple times & needing to be right in front of it. I found out anything other than an incondesent bulb will mess with the frequencies. Genie door openers make special LED bulbs for openers that won’t mess with the frequency. I ordered them thru Home Depot & they work great.
Old 04-28-18, 10:46 AM
kairosntx
Driver School Candidate

Default It’s been a huge deal us

Originally Posted by Htony
What is such a big deal? For more info. go to the homelink site and read the FAQ.
I’ve programmed three other Lexus’ to this sane opener but our “new” 2015 RX will not sync the Homelink button to the opener. Yes i’ve read the manual and followed the directions, gone to the Homelink website, watched YouTube videos, had our 23 year give it a try, done online searches to come up with other options. Nothing works.
The next step will be to reset the opener to clear out the memory and reprogram all four cars. Then buy a new opener if that doesn’t work.
Old 04-28-18, 12:55 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kairosntx

I’ve programmed three other Lexus’ to this sane opener but our “new” 2015 RX will not sync the Homelink button to the opener. Yes i’ve read the manual and followed the directions, gone to the Homelink website, watched YouTube videos, had our 23 year give it a try, done online searches to come up with other options. Nothing works.
The next step will be to reset the opener to clear out the memory and reprogram all four cars. Then buy a new opener if that doesn’t work.
Well what is the GDO model and how old is it? Which step does it fail. Home link picks up fob signal? Then GDO picks homelink signal? While GDO is in learn mode keep pusing homelink button every 2 secs. or so until door starts move(up or down = learning complete). I programmed so many different cars w/o any issues. My GDO is Lift master MyQ belt drive. Previous one was Genie screw drive Power Max 1500. My last Lexus was'15 RX-450h which had no problem programming.
Old 05-05-18, 02:57 PM
kairosntx
Driver School Candidate

Default GDO model IS550/A

Originally Posted by Htony
Well what is the GDO model and how old is it? Which step does it fail. Home link picks up fob signal? Then GDO picks homelink signal? While GDO is in learn mode keep pusing homelink button every 2 secs. or so until door starts move(up or down = learning complete). I programmed so many different cars w/o any issues. My GDO is Lift master MyQ belt drive. Previous one was Genie screw drive Power Max 1500. My last Lexus was'15 RX-450h which had no problem programming.
My GDO model is a genie IS550/A

1. I bought a new GDO remote and programmed it.
2. I cleared out the Homelink holding down buttons 1 and 3.
3. I held the remote next to the Homelink and held both buttons until the led flashed rapidly.
4. I pushed the program button on the back of the GDO and pushed the Homelink button several times.
5. The garage door never opened.
6. I repeated step 4 with the other Homelink buttons and also pressing the Homelink button for longer and shorter intervals up to 10 times during the GDO programming.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-05-18, 07:34 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

3. I held the remote next to the Homelink and held both buttons until the led flashed rapidly.
4. I pushed the program button on the back of the GDO and pushed the Homelink button several times.
6. I repeated step 4 with the other Homelink buttons and also pressing the Homelink button for longer and shorter intervals up to 10 times during the GDO programming.

Any suggestions?
Once you put the GDO in learn mode, within 20 secs. you should start pushing the Home link button. Is that the case?
Old 05-05-18, 08:54 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I don’t think it’s beyond normal to have a bad HomeLink unit. It shouldn’t be this difficult for you & I don’t mean that in an insulting way. I would have given up long ago.
Old 05-06-18, 06:34 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Any suggestions?
I have a LiftMaster door, rolling code, but for whatever reason I no longer have had to press the Learn button on the opener--recent cars have been a '15 NX, '17 BMW 4 series, and now '18 RX--after the car learns the code from the remote I just have pushed the mirror button again a couple times, and the door opens. Again, no idea why this now works considering a prior '13 ES and '15 Acura required the Learn step. 'Might be worth a try,
Old 05-06-18, 11:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Any suggestions?

The one thing you may not have done as requested in the instructions is to replace the battery of the GDO remote. Going by the age of your GDO it must have rolling codes so pushing the learn button is a must and within 20 seconds the homelink button on the mirror. Bets to have 2 persons for this task.

Quick Reply: Garage door programming