Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Issues Anyone Else?

Old 07-24-16, 08:10 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues Anyone Else?

So this has happened twice now in the last couple days... I need to take the car in but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... I think its different from the hesitation issues which I have as well.

On the freeway twice, the transmission seems to have gotten stuck on a low gear and wouldnt change... the rpms got to around 4k and then jumped awkwardly down like it was skipping gears. I had this same thing happen on my old accord before the transmission blew...

For what its worth, its a 350 f sport with 2800 miles.
Old 07-24-16, 08:16 AM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin View Post
So this has happened twice now in the last couple days... I need to take the car in but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... I think its different from the hesitation issues which I have as well.

On the freeway twice, the transmission seems to have gotten stuck on a low gear and wouldnt change... the rpms got to around 4k and then jumped awkwardly down like it was skipping gears. I had this same thing happen on my old accord before the transmission blew...

1)what drive mode were you in?

2) what transmission mode were you?

3) Did use drcc?
Old 07-24-16, 08:30 AM
daveylin
Rookie

I was in Sport mode, the transmission was in drive, DRCC was not on.

I think my description above is a bit off... it will get stuck around 4k rpm and the engine will be reving hard, i would have to let go of the gas, then tap it again, and it drops out of the gear its stuck on then works ok again.
Old 07-24-16, 09:51 AM
bdspilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had that issue, but I took a road trip yesterday and notices some hard shifts while on the interstate at 70 MPH. When the car would downshift to go up hill or pass the car seems to shudder a little then shift very harshly. I am going to take in soon to have checked out. I have noticed the behavior you had only with ddcc on.
Old 07-24-16, 11:58 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

get it checked out. make sure you record a video of it if they can't replicate it at the dealer which happens 99% of the time
Old 07-24-16, 05:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like normal transmission logic in sport mode. While it tries its hardest, the transmission AI cannot always accurately predict what the driver is doing. What you're describing occurs when you jab the throttle and let off quickly, then get back on it. It'll hold the gear awkwardly long, anticipating you're attempting to full throttle. Seems like you caught the transmission in one of these scenarios.
Old 11-11-17, 03:33 PM
jhersey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup same problem and loss of power. stopped and it all reset. Another 30 minutes driving and ICS failure AWD locked out. Towed to dealer reset and picked up vehicle and 30 minutes on road transmission stuck in 6th and low power. Stopped and it reset. Towed back to garage and they want to put a new transmission in will take 2 months to get in from Japan. This a repeat of issues that happened in July. RX350 Fsport 12000km.
Codes said d and g solenoids stuck.
Old 11-12-17, 07:16 AM
ravenuer
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jhersey View Post
Yup same problem and loss of power. stopped and it all reset. Another 30 minutes driving and ICS failure AWD locked out. Towed to dealer reset and picked up vehicle and 30 minutes on road transmission stuck in 6th and low power. Stopped and it reset. Towed back to garage and they want to put a new transmission in will take 2 months to get in from Japan. This a repeat of issues that happened in July. RX350 Fsport 12000km.
Codes said d and g solenoids stuck.
Will they be giving you a loaner for those two months?
Old 11-14-17, 05:40 PM
azinn
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer View Post

Old 11-14-17, 06:25 PM
jhersey
Driver School Candidate

yes but I am going for a replacement this the fourth tow in in 9 months. Very unsettling and no trust in the vehicle. It does seem this is rather unusual.
Old 11-14-17, 06:32 PM
jvinhj240
Rookie

lemon law yet?
Old 11-14-17, 07:17 PM
jhersey
Driver School Candidate

Canada does not have a lemon law but I am trusting that Lexus with all its messaging about customer satisfaction will replace the vehicle. Will find out in the next couple of days.
Old 12-07-17, 06:18 AM
technodis
Driver School Candidate

This exact thing happened to me the other day when I was on cruise control on my 2016 RX350. I was either going down or uphill slightly when the engine revved to over 4000 rpm. Then after a few seconds it went back down to normal range. I have no idea why it did this but it did it a couple of times on that drive. I had Lexus look at it and they said itís normal. Whatever. Starting to hate this car with all of the issues I am having.
Old 12-07-17, 06:42 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by technodis View Post
This exact thing happened to me the other day when I was on cruise control on my 2016 RX350. I was either going down or uphill slightly when the engine revved to over 4000 rpm. Then after a few seconds it went back down to normal range. I have no idea why it did this but it did it a couple of times on that drive. I had Lexus look at it and they said itís normal. Whatever. Starting to hate this car with all of the issues I am having.
If you haven't already done so you may want to review the thread below, it may provide you with some helpful info.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ost-159-a.html
Old 12-07-17, 05:53 PM
ravenuer
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by technodis View Post
I could see if you're going uphill and the transmission downshifts to maintain the set speed, but going to 4k when going downhill.....no way that's normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Issues Anyone Else?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: