RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 08:40 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Who is going to listen to audiophile quality music on a mobile system any how? For me dedicated system is at home for music listening. For family to watch movie another HTPC with 7.2 system. Even when mobile system is compared, my Audi B&O system sounds better than ML system on Lexus I had. Likewise HK system on my wife's Mercedes.
Yes & no - I realize the Lexus systems are not top shelf, but they are at least middle shelf. The RX is so quiet on a highway trip, that I can tell a big difference in the sound between XM, iPhone via Bluetooth & iPhone via Lightning cord. There is a huge difference between Bluetooth & the Lightning cord playing the same song. So, as long as the cost is reasonable & one spends a decent amount of time behind the wheel, I think it’s worth exploring.
Old 05-23-18, 09:38 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Yes & no - I realize the Lexus systems are not top shelf, but they are at least middle shelf. The RX is so quiet on a highway trip, that I can tell a big difference in the sound between XM, iPhone via Bluetooth & iPhone via Lightning cord. There is a huge difference between Bluetooth & the Lightning cord playing the same song. So, as long as the cost is reasonable & one spends a decent amount of time behind the wheel, I think it’s worth exploring.
One interesting thing on Mercedes system is it displays foreign language text when playing Korean pop songs. We're native Korean transplanted here more than 50 years ago. Song title, singer's name and picture all
displayed in Korean language on wife's Mercedes. She likes this feature. My back is in engineering and advanced level amateur musician all my life. So I like to listen to good music. Still playing in local concert band but hearing and eye sights are not as sharp as they used to be nearing age of 80, LOL! Time to pass my horn to grand son. My son is an engineer too, his hobby is playing piano, tenor sax, guitar, drum, he has sharpest ears among us. He is nuts on Bimmers, only car he drives. Daughter plays flute, graduated conservatory grade 12 piano. Some times I worry about her hands when she goes out rock climbing. She needs her hands to play music and perform surgery. Does not care much about cars, still drives old beater Subaru Forester since med. school days. Wife plays electric organ.
Old 05-24-18, 03:37 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

xm sounds horrible, i never renewed after my free trial.
cant blame the ML system for the xm quality. feed it a good source and i am very happy with my upgrade.
Old 05-24-18, 01:06 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i just bought a 2016 Lexus RX450h WITHOUT ML. I pick up the car tomorrow. Should i cancel the deal and find one with ML. Is it a deal breaker? Is the standard 12 speaker that bad?
Old 05-24-18, 01:28 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by goto35
i just bought a 2016 Lexus RX450h WITHOUT ML. I pick up the car tomorrow. Should i cancel the deal and find one with ML. Is it a deal breaker? Is the standard 12 speaker that bad?
Its up to you, but I listened to both & didn’t feel the ML was worth the extra cash. It’s better, but if all comes down to how much you are willing to spend. For me, I couldn’t justify it. Hope that helps.
Old 05-24-18, 02:16 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
One interesting thing on Mercedes system is it displays foreign language text when playing Korean pop songs. We're native Korean transplanted here more than 50 years ago. Song title, singer's name and picture all
displayed in Korean language on wife's Mercedes. She likes this feature. My back is in engineering and advanced level amateur musician all my life. So I like to listen to good music. Still playing in local concert band but hearing and eye sights are not as sharp as they used to be nearing age of 80, LOL! Time to pass my horn to grand son. My son is an engineer too, his hobby is playing piano, tenor sax, guitar, drum, he has sharpest ears among us. He is nuts on Bimmers, only car he drives. Daughter plays flute, graduated conservatory grade 12 piano. Some times I worry about her hands when she goes out rock climbing. She needs her hands to play music and perform surgery. Does not care much about cars, still drives old beater Subaru Forester since med. school days. Wife plays electric organ.
On my MB 2008 E350 I had a Mark Levinson that was OK nothing more, IMO not better than the standard system on my RX350 (2017) Luxury package (canadian) I couldn't justify $1,800 more for the upgrade, I find the standard to be more than sufficient when driving.

P.S. My ML didn't show any foreign language
Old 05-24-18, 03:23 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
On my MB 2008 E350 I had a Mark Levinson that was OK nothing more, IMO not better than the standard system on my RX350 (2017) Luxury package (canadian) I couldn't justify $1,800 more for the upgrade, I find the standard to be more than sufficient when driving.

P.S. My ML didn't show any foreign language
ML in a Benz?

Here's the findings from an independent test that was done a few years ago:

The System: American hi-fi brand Mark Levinson has been making car audio systems exclusively for Lexus for 15 years. Their systems are available across almost the entire product lineup, but the 15-speaker, 835-watt application in the RX is one of the best iterations, and it’s a relatively low-cost option (for hi-fi, anyway) at $2,830 ($3,260 if you spec a bigger infotainment screen).

The Verdict: The biggest surprise of the bunch, the Mark Levinson system in the RX350 managed to give us the best clarity and vibrancy of any system, without revealing some of the audio track’s imperfections. There was little distortion when the system was fully cranked. Highs came in crisp and vibrant and bass was powerful and well rounded. What’s more, the Mark Levsinson system can be had for less than the Meridian or Naim system in their respective cars — so it’s particularly impressive from a value standpoint.

Link --> https://gearpatrol.com/2016/02/04/fi...-audio-system/
Old 05-24-18, 04:38 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike728
ML in a Benz?

Here's the findings from an independent test that was done a few years ago:

The System: American hi-fi brand Mark Levinson has been making car audio systems exclusively for Lexus for 15 years. Their systems are available across almost the entire product lineup, but the 15-speaker, 835-watt application in the RX is one of the best iterations, and it’s a relatively low-cost option (for hi-fi, anyway) at $2,830 ($3,260 if you spec a bigger infotainment screen).

The Verdict: The biggest surprise of the bunch, the Mark Levinson system in the RX350 managed to give us the best clarity and vibrancy of any system, without revealing some of the audio track’s imperfections. There was little distortion when the system was fully cranked. Highs came in crisp and vibrant and bass was powerful and well rounded. What’s more, the Mark Levsinson system can be had for less than the Meridian or Naim system in their respective cars — so it’s particularly impressive from a value standpoint.

Link --> https://gearpatrol.com/2016/02/04/fi...-audio-system/
My bad I meant to say Harman Kardon
Old 05-26-18, 01:45 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I owned a 2016 RX350 with the ML and a 2017 RX450h without ML but with Premium Audio and I preferred the Premium Audio. The ML had amazing clarity but the volume had to be cranked 10-15 levels higher than the Premium system for me to hear it. I listen to the Premium at 25 or so and the ML was often at 35 or 40. The thing about the processing on the ML system is that it makes music you listened to sound different. I was driving a co-worker around and he was like "oh ,this is coldplay, he (Chris Martin) sounds different." Some may say that the ML is better for its clarity but i prefer the bass and volume of the premium system.
Old 05-26-18, 03:44 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by roblim
I owned a 2016 RX350 with the ML and a 2017 RX450h without ML but with Premium Audio and I preferred the Premium Audio. The ML had amazing clarity but the volume had to be cranked 10-15 levels higher than the Premium system for me to hear it. I listen to the Premium at 25 or so and the ML was often at 35 or 40. The thing about the processing on the ML system is that it makes music you listened to sound different. I was driving a co-worker around and he was like "oh ,this is coldplay, he (Chris Martin) sounds different." Some may say that the ML is better for its clarity but i prefer the bass and volume of the premium system.
I too have the Premium System and to my ears the ML wasn't worth the money, but to others perhaps it may. What I'm looking for when driving is company not high fidelity.
Old 05-27-18, 12:34 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
I have a RX Premium system with which I am quite happy. For example, if one plays a better quality Red Book CD such as a Telarc the sonic result is very pleasing and musical. Given that one is always listening against at least some background noise in a moving automobile, it is never going to sound like "being in a concert hall" no matter what one has.

Last edited by Koetsu; 06-04-18 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Fix English
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 01:32 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

took ownership of my 2016 RX450H. It didnt have ML. After reading this thread was thinking my sound would be SH^&. But turns out i have 12 speaker premium audio and im totally satisfied! Sirius XM has never sounded better. All you guys need to remember Sirius XM has the worse bitrate on their stations (went downhill 10 years ago) and was totally happy with the results!
Old 05-29-18, 11:52 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Blown away by the sound from the CD player

I've had my 2017 almost 6 months now. Finally decided to try the CD player. I put a CD in with MP3's on it. The sound was so much better than using Bluetooth or the Aux cable to my IPhone for the same songs. I am sure a commercial Cd will be even better. Will be sorry when they take CD players out of cars.
Old 05-29-18, 11:42 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
I've had my 2017 almost 6 months now. Finally decided to try the CD player. I put a CD in with MP3's on it. The sound was so much better than using Bluetooth or the Aux cable to my IPhone for the same songs. I am sure a commercial Cd will be even better. Will be sorry when they take CD players out of cars.
Connect your phone with USB, you will get the same fidelity of a CD with MP3s...

Bluetooth uses a different audio compressor (SBC) since it cannot transfer that much data. So the phone’s MP3 is decoded and compressed with a looser compression scheme, then transmitted to the radio with Bluetooth. This compression scheme is nowhere close to MP3 and is lower bitrate, adding distortion to the sound.

Last edited by lexnewbi; 05-30-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 08:59 AM
Soyabean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ML in my 16 RX and I definitely notice the difference compared to one that does not have that system in the loaner F sport 1 or 2 that I got. I noticed the difference in clarity between the 2 right away.

But IMO the ML isn't THAT much better for the money. The standard audio system is more than sufficient for me and not worth the extra $$$.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System