RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 01:14 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Just listened to some adele- hello and some other tunes on both regular vs ML.

The amp in the ML def. helps, sound is clear and beautiful. I hate how there is only treb, mid, and bass. No equalizer.

IMO, the bass is definately not what a SUB would produce. The woofers allow the bass to provide the MIDs and it does. But once you up the level on the Bass, it sounds ghetoo and drowns the clarity of the sound.

I would eventually like to add a small sub to the car, but that raises questions to how to install it and if I would need a new amp. haha.

But for now, I'm happy with the sound. The regular version sounds more muffled and isn't as clear.

My test is to while driving, roll down the windows and see how good I can hear the music haha.
Old 12-31-15, 02:32 PM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on the source as well. Sound is awesome with xm radio and super clear with good bass on the ML system but once I turn to bluetooth through my phone it sounds flat. When i did my test drive on the non ML system, the sound from the bluetooth was fine and didn't notice anything. ML system lacks bass on bluetooth connection. HD radio and xm sounds pretty good. I haven't experience the sound system on HD radio or XM radio on the non ML system though.
Old 12-31-15, 06:01 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting! I used a regular 320 kb cd and compared it to the iphone and for me it was the same. I didn't try the bluetooth though.

I just listened to Adele-Hello on my current sound system and yes, having a sub to take over the LOWs really help resonate the music. I feel like the RX ML has the highs and the mids down pat but not the LOWS.

Overall, until the sound system guys know the new RX well, maybe 2-3 years, I'm happy with my ML sound system.
Old 01-02-16, 11:40 AM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Interesting! I used a regular 320 kb cd and compared it to the iphone and for me it was the same. I didn't try the bluetooth though.

I just listened to Adele-Hello on my current sound system and yes, having a sub to take over the LOWs really help resonate the music. I feel like the RX ML has the highs and the mids down pat but not the LOWS.

Overall, until the sound system guys know the new RX well, maybe 2-3 years, I'm happy with my ML sound system.
Your right. The cd and iphone sounds the same. However, on xm radio it sounds really good. It also varies on certain stations for some odd reason. For example, on the heat station the bass hits hard and louder, however the same song on The top hits is lower with higher mids and treble. It's weird. i'm getting use to it. Volume at 20 is about the same as 30 for cd/iphone.
Old 01-03-16, 06:14 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

So after much research, I am debating whether I could even switch out the 200mm or 8 inch sub on the driver side rear trunk with say a JL sub.

It will most likely have to be custom drilled and I am not sure how the sub would sound in that housing but that would be option 1.

Option 2 would be to buy another amp and a sub with the sub box and use that together to produce the lows....

HMM seems like a lot of work.

Or, wait a few years until the ML sound dies, due to their cheap construction, and get everything replaced and be broke for a few more years.
Old 01-03-16, 06:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So after much research, I am debating whether I could even switch out the 200mm or 8 inch sub on the driver side rear trunk with say a JL sub.

It will most likely have to be custom drilled and I am not sure how the sub would sound in that housing but that would be option 1.

Option 2 would be to buy another amp and a sub with the sub box and use that together to produce the lows....

Or, wait a few years until the ML sound dies, due to their cheap construction, and get everything replaced and be broke for a few more years.
You'll be waiting for a good 10-20 years then. They don't just blow up you know lol. It's not a BMW
Old 01-03-16, 06:53 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Mark Levinson in my 2006 LS 430 lasted more than 8 years and 245,000 miles and still works perfectly when I sold it and bought my 2014 GS. So yeah your going to wait a pretty long time before that happends.

And I listen to music 90% of those miles driven at more than loud volumes. Loud enough to feel the bass hit and annoy nearby cars and it still works perfectly till I sold it in 2014!
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (01-27-23)
Old 01-03-16, 07:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I went with ML again. Since bass is lacking, the easiest thing to do is drop a subwoofer in the back. A few 3RX owners have done this, it wasn't complicated or expensive . I had two JL subwoofers installed in the cargo area of my 330 without ML. They were hidden under the floor in a custom fiberglass enclosure. Speakers were also changed out and a few other things added. I was happy with the setup but it wasn't cheap. Start small.

Another 3RX member added dynamat or similar material around the speakers in the doors and the rear cargo area, He said it made an appreciable difference with ML. It's not expensive either, just time consuming to install.
Old 01-03-16, 08:07 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I went with ML again. Since bass is lacking, the easiest thing to do is drop a subwoofer in the back. A few 3RX owners have done this, it wasn't complicated or expensive . I had two JL subwoofers installed in the cargo area of my 330 without ML. They were hidden under the floor in a custom fiberglass enclosure. Speakers were also changed out and a few other things added. I was happy with the setup but it wasn't cheap. Start small.

Another 3RX member added dynamat or similar material around the speakers in the doors and the rear cargo area, He said it made an appreciable difference with ML. It's not expensive either, just time consuming to install.
Interesting! What did the others do? Just swap out the current sub and install a better one? I know it's an 8 inch sub. But then there is the question of the ohms and all that.

Or add a sub with the case and another amp? I'd love to do the custom fiberglass eventually haha. I believe in the new rx there is some storage compartment on the left side near the spare tire. Great place to put a sub!

I'm glad the ML speakers last a while. Listening to it, the clarity isn't bad.
Old 01-03-16, 08:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had ML in a '08 GS and '12 ES 350 UL and it a waste.
Put a DVD-A in the system and yes it's very nice but who uses DVD-A discs?
No more ML for me.
When paying extra for ML,one shouldn't have to add components to make it sound good.

I've also listened to ML in a RX and it wasn't great either.
ML sounded great in '10 LS.However some here have posted the newer LS460 ML isn't as good as the older LS ML systems.
Old 01-03-16, 08:32 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Given the choice between the ML or standard, there is no,way I would not have the ML.
Old 01-03-16, 08:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Joeb, the price has dropped which might explain why ML isn't what it used to be. RX has a big cabin to fill too. With some tweaks it's decent. And cheaper than going aftermarket. I don't want to go that route again.

aznkorboi, take a look at this thread where MEP added fatmat to the doors and around the subwoofer. He said it brought ML to a new level. I have't tried it myself but just might since I think there's slightly more noise intrusion in the '16 RX cabin. I'll see when my 450h arrives in a few months. Maybe you won't need to replace the sub or amp. But if you do, at least you have an idea on where to put them.
Old 01-03-16, 09:32 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Joeb, the price has dropped which might explain why ML isn't what it used to be. RX has a big cabin to fill too. With some tweaks it's decent. And cheaper than going aftermarket. I don't want to go that route again.

aznkorboi, take a look at this thread where MEP added fatmat to the doors and around the subwoofer. He said it brought ML to a new level. I have't tried it myself but just might since I think there's slightly more noise intrusion in the '16 RX cabin. I'll see when my 450h arrives in a few months. Maybe you won't need to replace the sub or amp. But if you do, at least you have an idea on where to put them.
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-16, 03:41 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I can hear a little difference in the ML I have had...a 2011 GX and 2014 ES 350 UL, but not that much. So this time around I went without it on my RC F. I'm very happy with the 10 speaker Premium Audio in the RC-F and our NX's. Nothing wrong with getting the ML, especially if you have never had it. I just didn't feel the need for it this time around.
Old 01-05-16, 07:56 AM
lespes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had ML in 2013 GS and the ML in RX is significantly better.
No regrets in getting it.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System