RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 03:19 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Huh? Use your USB cord plugged into the console & turn the Bluetooth off.

I can run both music & maps on my phone thru the car infotainment system. It interrupts the music for directions & goes back to music. I guess I don’t understand what you are trying to do or not do.
He wants to use Waze for directions while listening to the radio.

As with any Bluetooth connection, you're going to have to disconnect it yourself or just switch the audio output on your device yourself. Switching the audio output on your phone is the easiest option as it only takes a few swipes.
Old 08-20-18, 07:01 PM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just can't believe that this system, ML or standard, can't decode flac files. My husband's F150 does... 😕
Old 08-21-18, 04:39 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by ellydogns
I just can't believe that this system, ML or standard, can't decode flac files. My husband's F150 does... 😕
Welcome to Toyota! Where technology is always several years behind.
Old 08-21-18, 05:13 AM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
Welcome to Toyota! Where technology is always several years behind.
LOL... And I thought my Acura was bad
Old 08-21-18, 02:56 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

FLAC files are one of the least popular, only a couple of audio brands include it in their products.
Old 08-21-18, 04:10 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
FLAC files are one of the least popular, only a couple of audio brands include it in their products.
Least popular? Not if you want lossless copies of your music library. It's main benefit is there are no royalties. Most home audio receivers now support it. I'll admit, on most base car stereos you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between CD's and 320kbps MP3. Mark Levinson would not be in that category, however.
Old 08-21-18, 07:29 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Least popular?. I'll admit, on most base car stereos you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between CD's and 320kbps MP3. Mark Levinson would not be in that category, however.
AAC encoding offers much closer fidelity to CD than MP3 at the same bit rate. For example, encode a song in AAC at 256kbps and it is equivalent in fidelity to an MP3 at 320kbps. So you get greater fidelity in AAC than MP3 for the same storage.
Old 08-21-18, 08:04 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Apple offers lossless capabilities, however it's not default. FLAC is a great codec and I personally use it to encode backup digital copies of all my CD's. I also transcode them all to MP3 VBR 320 for use in my cars. With the noisy environment
of a car you can't tell the different unless you're stopped with the engine off in a quiet area.
Old 09-11-18, 02:03 PM
DexterDawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2016 F Sport Mark Levenson Radio Question

I recently bought a 2016 RX F Sport that has the Mark Levinson sound system. For the most part I am very happy with it, however the bass seems a bit to low and needs adjustment. I've never had a car with a radio where there is no adjustment to balance, base, tremble, ect, ect, ect.... I can't find where these adjustments are made. I'm sure they are there but I can not find them anywhere in the settings. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-18, 02:45 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DexterDawg
I recently bought a 2016 RX F Sport that has the Mark Levinson sound system. For the most part I am very happy with it, however the bass seems a bit to low and needs adjustment. I've never had a car with a radio where there is no adjustment to balance, base, tremble, ect, ect, ect.... I can't find where these adjustments are made. I'm sure they are there but I can not find them anywhere in the settings. Any help would be appreciated.
On the right hand side of your Nav display you'll see a sound note icon. Click on that and then at the bottom of the screen on the right will be the word Sound. Click on that and you'll get the settings screen.
Old 09-12-18, 05:32 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DexterDawg
And to add to what PCW said you need to adjust the tone controls for each source - IE: adjusting the tone controls for say FM radio doesn't change the setting for USB input. Also I find that turning OFF the surround sound gives a more natural sound (that's done on the LCD screen also). The bass is not that strong, but when listening at higher volumes the bass seems to kick in more, really the system is more about quality than quantity. One more thing if you feed the system a poor quality input (Bluetooth for example) you'll really hear the poor quality more and maybe disappointed with the sound, conversely if you feed it a high quality input (lossless through USB/AUX input) the system really sings.
Old 10-01-19, 10:41 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Premium Sound in 2020 RX

Hi all.

I was able to test drive a 2020 last week. It had the Premium Audio and sounded subpar. Most of the sound was coming the front despite the faders being centered. That fullness was missing.

Why is it that the premium audio on the RX is not as good as the premium in the IS and RC? Is it because the cabin size is bigger and needs more speakers?

Is the ML on the RX markedly better sounding than the premium? On the IS and RC, the ML isn't even needed because the premium is really quite excellent.
Old 10-01-19, 02:49 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Hi all.

I was able to test drive a 2020 last week. It had the Premium Audio and sounded subpar. Most of the sound was coming the front despite the faders being centered. That fullness was missing.

Why is it that the premium audio on the RX is not as good as the premium in the IS and RC? Is it because the cabin size is bigger and needs more speakers?

Is the ML on the RX markedly better sounding than the premium? On the IS and RC, the ML isn't even needed because the premium is really quite excellent.
that’s been a design flaw in the 4th gen RX. The mark levinson to me sounds great but it is supposed to have surround sound and it most definitely does not sound like surround sound. They didn’t balance the acoustics correctly, if you sit in the back or tilt your seat all the way back you will hear the difference. I only hear the surround sound if I sit roughly in the middle or back of the car, as do others. There was a thread on it. I guess they haven’t changed that in the 2020. Must be due to the open space in the front combined with wrong speaker placement
Old 10-01-19, 04:41 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
that’s been a design flaw in the 4th gen RX. The mark levinson to me sounds great but it is supposed to have surround sound and it most definitely does not sound like surround sound. They didn’t balance the acoustics correctly, if you sit in the back or tilt your seat all the way back you will hear the difference. I only hear the surround sound if I sit roughly in the middle or back of the car, as do others. There was a thread on it. I guess they haven’t changed that in the 2020. Must be due to the open space in the front combined with wrong speaker placement

Try turning off surround sound. That supposedly fixes the front speaker bias.
Old 10-02-19, 07:04 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

As an audiophile since I was in my teens, I believe that most audiophiles would agree that the ideal is to reproduce sound as it "should" be. The goal is to reproduce sound as though you were there, watching and listening to a live band. Therefore, the band should be in front of you and the original idea of "surround sound" was to place the acoustics of the venue in which the performance took place. So therefore, if you're really looking for that, most of the sound should emanate in front of you and the reflected sound should appear as though it's from the rear. Of course, this is from the ideal of listening at home, not in a vehicle.

Cars are far from ideal listening environments, but I suspect that Mark Levinson, an audiophile brand, did its best to work within the tough confines of a vehicle. If you want something else, there are controls to tweak for your preference.

One of the few things I miss about my ML system in my LS 430 was the ability to select the driver's seat as the "sweet spot" for listening. However, I find the ML systems in both my LS 460 and RX 350 to be quite satisfying on the road.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs Standard Audio System