RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX vs GLC vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 05:15 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RX vs GLC vs ???

Looking to find some comparisons. I have had a 2000 RX, currently have a 2004 & 2014 RX. Towards the end of this year a family member will be taking the 04 RX so we will be replacing it. I've started reviewing the options out there for a replacement SUV. Test drove an NX as it was more the size of our old 2000 RX but was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Drove a GLC and really liked it. Been looking at the MBworld board and there seem to be some issues but nothing too drastic. Scared off from the X3 as a family member has a new one and it seems to have been in the shop more than at home. MKC reminds me of an Escape when sitting in the driver's seat. Have not yet driven an RX as I was trying to keep the vehicle a little more compact. By chance does anyone have both, or experience with both that they can share? Most likely it will be a 2017 that I purchase, so there should be no real changes in either the GLC or RX.
Old 07-08-16, 04:32 AM
carnut1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should add the Jaguar F-Pace to that mix. Seems to be a pretty good car.
Old 07-08-16, 05:29 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check out the Volvo XC60. It fits your size requirement.
Old 07-08-16, 09:59 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

The GLC is not the same size as the RX, the GLC competes with the NX. If you want a Mercedes, I would look at the GLE its about the same size as the RX. I would also suggest the F-Pace too. If performance is what youre looking for, the RX is not your car. The RX is for people who don't want to pay money for the break downs that could happen with the German cars, and for people who love the look like me.
Old 07-09-16, 11:19 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just did a lot of testing before selecting a new RX350. The GLC is a lot smaller and so far only comes with a turbo 4 cyl. With similar equipment it is about the same price as the larger RX350. It will have the usual very high Mercedes maintenance costs. The KIA Sorrento is a great choice for a lower cost alternative. The SX with the turbo 4 is a bargain.
Steve
Old 07-10-16, 07:27 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
The RX is for people who don't want to pay money for the break downs that could happen with the German cars, and for people who love the look like me.
AMEN!!
Old 07-10-16, 04:18 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Looking to find some comparisons. I have had a 2000 RX, currently have a 2004 & 2014 RX. Towards the end of this year a family member will be taking the 04 RX so we will be replacing it. I've started reviewing the options out there for a replacement SUV. Test drove an NX as it was more the size of our old 2000 RX but was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Drove a GLC and really liked it. Been looking at the MBworld board and there seem to be some issues but nothing too drastic. Scared off from the X3 as a family member has a new one and it seems to have been in the shop more than at home. MKC reminds me of an Escape when sitting in the driver's seat. Have not yet driven an RX as I was trying to keep the vehicle a little more compact. By chance does anyone have both, or experience with both that they can share? Most likely it will be a 2017 that I purchase, so there should be no real changes in either the GLC or RX.
First off, go into a dealership, and test the crap out of each vehicle. If you know someone at the dealership helps in getting extended test drives (by extended I do not mean taking a detour from the regular 10 minute prescription route), but throwing down a deposit can be a substitute.

Second, if you like the GLC design, basically your only option at merc is the GLC in the CUV category. Every other CUV in the Benz house is rocking the old craptacular design language. It is smaller then the RX, however beauty knows no price

However for whatever its worth, if you lease go with anything but Lexus. If you buy, and more importantly hate to use your local service bay for more then regular maintenance, then go Lexus. Outdated, outclassed, but damn it solid reliability.
Old 07-10-16, 08:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jdshaw
You might want to check out the Volvo XC60. It fits your size requirement.
Too old and overdue for an update.

Originally Posted by jmull3r
The GLC is not the same size as the RX, the GLC competes with the NX. If you want a Mercedes, I would look at the GLE its about the same size as the RX.
Originally Posted by oldcajun
I just did a lot of testing before selecting a new RX350. The GLC is a lot smaller and so far only comes with a turbo 4 cyl. With similar equipment it is about the same price as the larger RX350.
Originally Posted by coolsaber
Second, if you like the GLC design, basically your only option at merc is the GLC in the CUV category. Every other CUV in the Benz house is rocking the old craptacular design language. It is smaller then the RX, however beauty knows no price
I would say that the Mercedes GLC does compete with the RX. Even though the lengths are about 10 inches off, the GLC (113.1 in) has a longer wheelbase than the RX (109.8 in), equivalent width, similar legroom figures, and price. The GLA competes more with the NX. The GLE is overdue for an update...its design, engine, and size are kinda outdated...but it also competes with the RX.

Definitely check out the F-pace. It should be a hoot to drive! It can get quite expensive with the options though.

Last edited by dchar; 07-10-16 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 05:19 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I had two ML350's before the RX, the first was a brand new 2011 that was a the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Numerous electrical issues, steering shaft and collar issues, interior creaks and rattles but the main issue was the trans hesitation that put me and my wife into too many "close call" situations. After close to a year and a half of going back and forth with MB, with the help of my dealer I finally got them to buy it back.

MB did a substitution of collateral and put us into a 2012 ML. While the 2012 was better and more refined than the 2011, it still left a lot to be desired in terms of build quality. And to top it off the trans hesitated in this one too, but it wasn't as bad as in the 2011.

I posted a write up somewhere on the forum several years ago explaining all the issues, if I find it I'll post the link.
Old 07-11-16, 08:44 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
Too old and overdue for an update.

Oh yea the damn thing is really old. The interior space is problematic, the rear seat floor pan was designed with short passengers and only 2 passengers in mind. The only things that are going for it, are safety, which even for its age is class leading, old means easier to save $$ come negotiations, European Delivery Pickup, and engine is quite strong.

Originally Posted by dchar
I would say that the Mercedes GLC does compete with the RX. Even though the lengths are about 10 inches off, the GLC (113.1 in) has a longer wheelbase than the RX (109.8 in), equivalent width, similar legroom figures, and price. The GLA competes more with the NX. The GLE is overdue for an update...its design, engine, and size are kinda outdated...but it also competes with the RX.

Definitely check out the F-pace. It should be a hoot to drive! It can get quite expensive with the options though.
the RX competes with alot of vehicles due to the niche size of the vehicle. Its right between the RDX/X3/Q5 and X5/Q7/MDX sizes so hard to a direct match up. I was referring to more so of the interior design language that all new merces are launching with. The waterfall center stack, of the GLC is only available on the GLC. Every other thing in their lineup is a retro refit, which most people who fell in love with the GLC will dislike.
Old 07-11-16, 11:06 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
the RX competes with alot of vehicles due to the niche size of the vehicle. Its right between the RDX/X3/Q5 and X5/Q7/MDX sizes so hard to a direct match up. I was referring to more so of the interior design language that all new merces are launching with. The waterfall center stack, of the GLC is only available on the GLC. Every other thing in their lineup is a retro refit, which most people who fell in love with the GLC will dislike.
FYI lengths of competitors:

Small:
2016 NX 182.3"
2016 Q5 182.6"
2016 GLC 183.3"
2016 X3 183.4"
2016 RDX 184.4"

Mid:
2015 RX 187.8"
2016 GLE 189.1"
2016 X5 192.4"
2016 RX 192.5"
2016 MDX 193.6"

Large:
2016 Q7 199.6"

The RX really isn't in any niche anymore. It's actually between X5 and MDX now.

Last edited by ericsan13; 07-11-16 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added Q5
Old 07-11-16, 04:18 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing I will add is that the new Q5 will be out soon, though I'm not sure when the US will get it. You could ask a dealer for an estimate to see if the timetable will work. If so, there is a good chance it will share a lot with the new Q7 which you can test drive now.

In about 1.5 years we will replace my wife's car with a small SUV or maybe a Model 3. My wife really likes the look of the GLC, and is leaning away from getting another Lexus. The 3RX was already too big for her as a loaner and the NX can't do 3 car seats across.
Old 07-11-16, 06:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ericsan13
FYI lengths of competitors:

Small:
2016 NX 182.3"
2016 Q5 182.6"
2016 GLC 183.3"
2016 X3 183.4"
2016 RDX 184.4"

Mid:
2015 RX 187.8"
2016 GLE 189.1"
2016 X5 192.4"
2016 RX 192.5"
2016 MDX 193.6"

Large:
2016 Q7 199.6"

The RX really isn't in any niche anymore. It's actually between X5 and MDX now.
http://www.lexus.com/compare/report/...55/40794,41835

FWIW length is only 1/4 of the picture.
Old 07-12-16, 02:33 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE
Originally Posted by dchar I would say that the Mercedes GLC does compete with the RX. Even though the lengths are about 10 inches off, the GLC (113.1 in) has a longer wheelbase than the RX (109.8 in), equivalent width, similar legroom figures, and price. The GLA competes more with the NX. The GLE is overdue for an update...its design, engine, and size are kinda outdated...but it also competes with the RX.

If you actually check the interior room of the GLC, you will find it is much smaller than the RX particularly in leg room. The RX front leg room is over 44" and while Mercedes does not publish the legroom for the GLC, I have seen some independent measurements of around 40". I had to have the front seat all the way back to drive the GLC and still could have used a bit more seat travel. With the front seat set for me to drive, I could not get into the back seat. I'm not a giant at 6'1" and fit the RX with room to spare. The GLC does have very good headroom if that is an issue. It also seemed narrow inside so I doubt 3 adults could sit comfortably in the back. From my perspective on size, the Q5 and GLC are about the same size as the NX.

The GLA, by the way, is based on the CLA and is tiny, more like the size of the little Buick CUV (Encore?).

From the sales of small CUV's it is obvious that many people like the smaller ones. I just need one that I'm comfortable in and can also carry up to 4 adult passengers.
Old 07-12-16, 06:12 PM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that there is no mention of the Cadillac XT5. I test drove one and really liked it especially the Apple Carplay and Android Auto which I was able to test both since I have the Galaxy Note 4 and my wife has the iPhone 6s. Also for MSRP of 50k, it included the panoramic roof. In order to get the RX with the pano roof on a lot, you'd have to get the Luxury trim which brings the price close to 60k (it's very rare to find one on the Premium). However....I am still on the fence between the RX and the XT5........

Quick Reply: RX vs GLC vs ???