RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Brake Hold Function

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 10:28 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There are times when the Brake Hold interferes with normal driving. Try doing a three point turn with it on, I can see why it isn't turned on everytime you turn on the car.
Old 07-10-16, 04:21 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I note that Lexus wrapped the Owner's Manuals in Saran Wrap this time. That way they can tell if you ever opened them when you trade in for the next one???
Old 07-11-16, 08:28 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RGSW
I note that Lexus wrapped the Owner's Manuals in Saran Wrap this time. That way they can tell if you ever opened them when you trade in for the next one???
I figured it's because the cover of the manual is so thinly cheap that it gets dogeared just by being exposed to the air
Old 07-11-16, 08:35 AM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual appears to be written by the legal department at Lexus. If they removed all the ridiculous warnings it would be half the size and readable.
Old 07-11-16, 08:59 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kiboater
The manual appears to be written by the legal department at Lexus. If they removed all the ridiculous warnings it would be half the size and readable.
Good one! Very true too.
Old 02-10-18, 06:47 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
Page 236 of our manual states:
"Pull and hold the parking brake switch if an emergency occurs and it is necessary to operate the parking brake while driving."
Doesn't seem very safe. As your car is rocketing forward, take your eyes off the wheel to find a little toggle switch (that is hard to reach) as opposed to putting your hand on a big lever or using your left foot to stomp on a peddle you know is to the left.
Old 02-10-18, 10:19 PM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don’t use the Hold feature that often.
I prefer gradual acceleration and It forces you to burn more fuel in traffic since you push the gas pedal to go forward a a couple of feet instead of just letting off the brake.
Old 02-11-18, 04:20 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Elation
I don’t use the Hold feature that often.
I prefer gradual acceleration and It forces you to burn more fuel in traffic since you push the gas pedal to go forward a a couple of feet instead of just letting off the brake.
lol, what ??? you cost up to speed ?? burn more fuel by going at the light, it doesn't need to be floored to release, just a light roll on.
i can see parking, 3 point turn things like that. i use it more and more.
Old 06-21-18, 05:09 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Change Brake Hold Default to "On?"

Hey all,

I've read that the procedure for Brake Hold is to press the button and it activates for the duration of that drive. Is there any setting to customize this, Techstream, or otherwise, to make this default to
"on" each time the vehicle is driven? I ask because it's an amazing feature that Euro vehicles such as Mercedes, have as a standard feature, one is ALWAYS on. In fact, there is no button for this feature, you simply press the brake firmly and it holds until you accelerate again.

As this feature is IMO essential in traffic, I'd be toggling this [tiny] button every time I start the vehicle -- can anyone advise if there is any way to default the vehicle from "off," to "on?"

Thank you!!

Last edited by Nauticalx; 06-21-18 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 09:44 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Hey all,

I've read that the procedure for Brake Hold is to press the button and it activates for the duration of that drive. Is there any setting to customize this, Techstream, or otherwise, to make this default to
"on" each time the vehicle is driven? I ask because it's an amazing feature that Euro vehicles such as Mercedes, have as a standard feature, one is ALWAYS on. In fact, there is no button for this feature, you simply press the brake firmly and it holds until you accelerate again.

As this feature is IMO essential in traffic, I'd be toggling this [tiny] button every time I start the vehicle -- can anyone advise if there is any way to default the vehicle from "off," to "on?"

Thank you!!
"Essential", really...absolutely necessary; extremely important, indispensable. If it were on all the time I would be asking for a way to shut it off. It does come in handy though when your texting your budd to find out the score in the Warriors game while listening to Jethro Tull.
Old 06-22-18, 03:24 AM
JSracer
Instructor

now for stop and go traffic, you could use the cruise control,
it maintains distance, holds when needed, goes when needed. hepls steer the vehicle too
only catch is it will pucker you up as you get use to the system, lol

i haven't found that pushing 1 button ruins my driving experience in the slightest bit,
Old 06-22-18, 06:54 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

thanks, however, im not really llooking to debate whether there are workarounds or whether someone feels pressing a button is less of a burden than someone else.

question is whether or not there is any way to detault the vehicle to have this on, (rather than off) at each startup. thanks
Old 06-22-18, 07:46 AM
JSracer
Instructor

No way that anyone has posted or found
Old 06-22-18, 10:10 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
thanks, however, im not really llooking to debate whether there are workarounds or whether someone feels pressing a button is less of a burden than someone else.
question is whether or not there is any way to detault the vehicle to have this on, (rather than off) at each startup. thanks
There is a way, mine has it as a default! Ever since I took delivery, but I can't remember how you set it. I'd suggest going to your dealer for help, it takes abut 5 minutes
Old 06-22-18, 03:42 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cocal
There is a way, mine has it as a default! Ever since I took delivery, but I can't remember how you set it. I'd suggest going to your dealer for help, it takes abut 5 minutes
Really? Dealer was no help. Lexus corporate said cant be done. I'd love to know how your's is set and operates. So your's automatically shows "hold" every time you crank the vehicle?

Quick Reply: Brake Hold Function