RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Loud ventilated seat fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 02:42 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone tried to identify the motor location (sounds like it's in the rear) and figure a way to add some sound insulation? That would be a great diy for all of us
Old 12-20-16, 10:25 AM
luisma1161
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post, I became a member to answer this particular post, I bought the RX350 this weekend and when I drove it the next morning the seat fans where really loud, i did not think of researching the problem and i made an appointment for service to take a look at the problem, I just came back from the service appointment and two of the service people claim the same thing, it's the way it comes from the factory, to prove it i had them take me to another RX350 and sure enough the same noise was apparent in the second RX350. I am not happy to be honest I expect more from Lexus on such an expensive car but i guess we will have to live with it since i am sure Lexus is not going to do anything about it. Just thought I would let you guys know that this is a factory defect (the way i look at it) or part of the charm of the Lexus RX350.

thanks
Old 12-20-16, 11:45 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

interesting. Do other brands have seat coolers that loud with the air flow that high?

I love it because I can literally feel the air through the back of my shirt on a hot day.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (02-02-17)
Old 12-21-16, 12:34 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by luisma1161
First post, I became a member to answer this particular post, I bought the RX350 this weekend and when I drove it the next morning the seat fans where really loud, i did not think of researching the problem and i made an appointment for service to take a look at the problem, I just came back from the service appointment and two of the service people claim the same thing, it's the way it comes from the factory, to prove it i had them take me to another RX350 and sure enough the same noise was apparent in the second RX350. I am not happy to be honest I expect more from Lexus on such an expensive car but i guess we will have to live with it since i am sure Lexus is not going to do anything about it. Just thought I would let you guys know that this is a factory defect (the way i look at it) or part of the charm of the Lexus RX350.

thanks
I had a 2010 and the seat fans were almost useless. I appreciate the option to have them loud but efficient. If you don't want them to be loud, you can just turn them to a lower setting.
satnav (12-21-16)
Old 12-21-16, 12:43 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I had a 2010 and the seat fans were almost useless. I appreciate the option to have them loud but efficient. If you don't want them to be loud, you can just turn them to a lower setting.
As a former owner of a 2010 RX too! I 100% agree...i view the updated fans on 16 as a product improvement from end user complaints.
ericsan13 (12-21-16)
Old 02-01-17, 04:58 PM
Ssteve
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I complained to the dealer last week that seat fan ventilation does not work as well as when my 2016 RX450h was new.

They could not find anything wrong. Today the car sat in the hot sun and the high fan speed is back. Confused I did some experimenting.

I discovered that although the seat switch can select low, med or high, the main AC fan speed has overall control. From the on dash fan control, raise the main AC fan speed to high, and the seat blows lots of air when the seat fan switch is set to high (3 green lights). Slow the main AC fan down (without touching the seat fan speed switch), and the seat fan slows down.
FastFord (06-12-17)
Old 06-06-17, 04:07 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The seats on my 2016 RX are loud on max speed but decent at speed 2 or lower.. I noticed the noise depends on the climate control system as well. If I set the seats to speed 3 but turn off the climate control, the noise goes away. If the seat speed is set to 2 however, there is no noticeable noise.

Listen to the attached audio clip, It starts off on AUTO (Speed 3) and the climate control system on max fan speed. At about 0:04, I turn off the climate control but the seats are still on speed 3. At 0:12, I turn the climate control back on and the noise comes back. This clip was recorded at seat level on my phone. This makes the seats sound like a jet plane haha.

I will ask my dealer at my next service but I'm guessing I will be told this is normal.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
RX seat ventilation sound.mp3 (369.4 KB, 213 views)
Old 06-06-17, 06:02 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

just traded a '17 NX for a '17 RX and couldn't believe how loud the fan was! The NX was 1/2 as loud on high and moved much more air. It amazes me, in this day and age, that these vehicles are still silo'd, which is an antiquated way of product development. What Silo means is that each product is created from top to bottom without collaboration from teams developing other products or models. I work in medical devices and that's how things were done for 25 years. About 10 years ago, things finally started changing and the results are significant improvements in technology and reliability because people are collaborating.. C'mon Lexus!!!
Old 06-06-17, 10:19 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by feddery
get used to it, I just put in on 'auto' , it is very loud but does the job right
Is there a way to set the auto fan speed of the seats so that it nevers goes to max whine mode? I look at carista but could not find a setting. I did lower the sensitivity on the dash screen to lowest and that seems to use lower speeds, except when car is hot.

Last edited by lexnewbi; 06-07-17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 04:40 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I am going to get bashed for this, but...

I can't believe how some people complain about anything. Like if they were driving a cloud... It's a damn car! And you don't need to have it at maximum all the time! Deal with it!

I chose this car for it's comfort, drive handling and nice design. But mostly to have a four wheel drive in our harsh canadian winters. It handled every snow storm like a breeze!

I am happy with it and don't mind the little quirks! Yes it is noisy at the beginning when I start by a hot day. I do have to lean a bit forward to let the air flow cool the back of my seat, but then everything is fine and can lower it.

This was my two cents.
ggebhardt (06-08-17)
Old 06-07-17, 08:43 AM
stevez2
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yup

Yup its a car and a darn good one
Old 06-08-17, 04:10 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Lexus got complaints on old models that the seat ventilation was too weak. They had only on fan in the seat bottom. To improve airflow they added another fan in the seat back and because it is right behind the driver's head it can make a good bit of sound on high speed. The fan speed does drop after a few minutes.

If too loud, turn it off. I seldom use mine but then I seldom have to park out in the direct sun.
Old 06-09-17, 06:20 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I had an NX while my car was being serviced. Both the heated and ventilated seats worked much better on the NX. you would think this would be consistent across their line up. Oh and dont even start with heated steering wheel, thats a joke. I know it's sounds trivial but these are features I paid extra for and couldn't wait to use them. Big disappointment.
Old 06-09-17, 06:31 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Strange how people find things so different with their RX. My seats get almost too hot in the winter, even without a coat. Rarely do I use max setting. As for the steering wheel, mine works great. Not as hot as the old 3RX but still nice and warm.

I would however like to see the ventilation for cold air in the seats improved. But that may be because when I really need it, it's very hot outside and the car has been in the sun. Once the vehicle gets running and cools the interior, it's better, but still could use some tweaking. Having tinted the window helps a lot.
Old 06-09-17, 06:36 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Strange how people find things so different with their RX. My seats get almost too hot in the winter, even without a coat. Rarely do I use max setting. As for the steering wheel, mine works great. Not as hot as the old 3RX but still nice and warm.

I would however like to see the ventilation for cold air in the seats improved. But that may be because when I really need it, it's very hot outside and the car has been in the sun. Once the vehicle gets running and cools the interior, it's better, but still could use some tweaking. Having tinted the window helps a lot.
For sure the remote starter is useful to cool the interior a bit before getting in.

Quick Reply: Loud ventilated seat fan