RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Touch-Free is not worth it...

Old 06-22-16, 02:06 PM
WineGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touch-Free is not worth it...

I wanted to ask others' thoughts regarding the Touch Free Power Rear Door.

There is a thread already where many have expressed their frustration with the operation; and yes, I have and continue to experience this myself. It finally dawned on me that I go through the 'hovering' and placement dance all the time. A friend was watching this the other day and asked if there wasn't just a button; I noted that there was one about six inches away that is very reliable. After that day, I quit using Touch Free.

I think that I was going through all those gyrations because I didn't want to admit that I had wasted $200 ! But now, I admit it.

I saw the cool "use your foot" when your hands are full that other brands offer, and just assumed that this would be just as good. It's not. So, anyone else wish they hadn't wasted $200 ?
Old 06-22-16, 02:29 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

The sensor is within the upper portion of the emblem. You need only to hold your hand steady over that portion for about a two second delay and it will open every time. I don't get all this waving stuff you heard of.
That thing will open the hatch even when I am drying the car with a towel or like today when I lifted my shirt tail up to fluff off a couple smudges off the emblem. There went the beeeeep and opened the door. It does work if you do it the way I described.
Old 06-22-16, 04:00 PM
gorcorps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you bother with the no touch if you have a free hand anyway? It's there for when your hands are full, otherwise the button will always make more sense (or even the fob)
Old 06-22-16, 04:03 PM
WineGuy
Driver School Candidate

Radio88, glad that things are working for you...

But, I know there are many people experiencing issues: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...or-issues.html

My point is that even if it works, it's not much different than the button, while a 'foot sensor' actually offers useful additional function.

Maybe, I need to start 'flashing' the sensor
Old 06-22-16, 04:20 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Works fine for me. When I have no hands available I can just rest of elbow on the top of the emblem and it opens just fine.

There is no need to hover at all unless you are trying to keep your hands clean. You can simply touch the top of the logo with anything and wait for it to beep.
Old 06-22-16, 04:41 PM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just have them change the sensitivity level.
Old 06-22-16, 05:10 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Works great for me once I learned on the forum to hover over the top half of the emblem. 100% reliable and great for when your hands are tied up. Otherwise, button is fine and quicker...or when walking up, i like the fob because i dont have to wait for the hatch to open. Not a waste IMO. Foot would be better, but i think someone holds a patent on that setup.
Old 06-22-16, 05:37 PM
brhfriend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very interesting about the large variety of experiences with this. I have personally found that the touch free either works perfectly, as noted above, or, at other times, will not work regardless of how hard I try.

I wonder if there are some other condition(s) that have to be present before this feature works? e.g. Do the other car door(s) have to first be unlocked? How close/nearby does the key FOB have to be?
Old 06-22-16, 05:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had a loaner Explorer once with the foot sensor. It was terrible. It kept detecting my foot as I was loading things in the back and closing on my head. I'm fine with a traditional button...but at least the Lexus approach shouldn't shut on your head.
Old 06-22-16, 06:32 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brhfriend

I wonder if there are some other condition(s) that have to be present before this feature works? e.g. Do the other car door(s) have to first be unlocked? How close/nearby does the key FOB have to be?
One thing I learned is that it must be in park. When I cold start in the morning, I roll in neutral out of the garage to the dip at the edge of my driveway, and the dip holds the vehicle while I warm up. I tried opening the rear door at that point and it did not open till I put it in park.
Old 06-22-16, 09:26 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not that great. I have found that i do need to tap the L logo to get it to open reliably. Just holding my hand over the emblem doesn't work reliably enough. Hitting the little button near the license plate light is not that difficult even with my hands full, so i see little value in this option.
Old 06-22-16, 09:40 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Heh, I've had my F sport for a little over a month now and I learn just this second, there is a button to open the trunk...... I was always annoyed with the touch free thing and even avoided putting things in the trunk and opting to put stuff in the back seat because of the touch free thing being such a hassle.
Old 06-23-16, 10:07 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Worked every SINGLE time on the RX loaners Ive had

I even used my head to do it - just bow down and itll open - makes me feel like im in a Bruce Lee film!

I believe there is a sensitivity adjustment in the menus too so make sure you play around with that.
Old 06-23-16, 05:07 PM
Jetstar
Driver School Candidate

Default We found the solution.

The dealer's technical rep and I were having trouble opening the touchless rear door with our hands. Then we tried it with our elbows. It opened every time. Try your elbow. You don't have to touch the emblem, just place your elbow above it.
Old 06-24-16, 05:10 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayaans

I even used my head to do it - just bow down and itll open - makes me feel like im in a Bruce Lee film!
I can image the look on someone face as you do this in the parking lot! They are probable like...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touch-Free is not worth it...