RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

When HUD display can't be seen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 11:16 PM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the original HUD put in older model LX's. I believe 2005-2007? The windshield had a slightly opaque square where the HUD reflected.

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
If someone could invent some type of a reflective yet translucent sticker you put on the windshield, right where the HUD reflects, that would negate the polarized effect, I would buy for sure. Most of my driving is during the day except for early morning and I wear my sunglasses constantly, makes me forget there even is a HUD cause I can't see it.
Old 05-01-17, 11:31 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
Look at the original HUD put in older model LX's. I believe 2005-2007? The windshield had a slightly opaque square where the HUD reflected.
One of my LX470 units has night time vision with a HUD display and there was a reflective spot built into the windshield.

You could see the HUD just fine but the night vision was poor in my opinion.
Old 05-23-17, 09:22 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told that the 2013 models with HUD have some type of special coating on the windshield that allows the display to be seen with polarized sunglasses on - and it works beautifully. The 2016 that i drove with HUD was very very faint with brightness dialed all the way up - almost impossible to be seen with the polarized glasses...needless to say i did not buy that one as daytime driving even in rain is done with sunglasses on as even with wet pavement -the glare is reduced. Fast forward to the 2017 model that i drove last week....with the HUD dialed all the way up, it can be seen with polarized sunglasses mind you still not as good as the 2013 model. So this is not a step forward. Similarly, the heated steering wheel on the 17 seems to be warmer than the one in the 16 that i drove last year. If neither of these items were worth having, nobody would order them. Lexus still has more work to do on that front though.

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte FL
Old 05-23-17, 12:38 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Have the HUD on both RX and LX and hardly even use them due to my polarized glasses.

Not an issue for me and the HUD came in the package so there was no choice.
Old 05-31-17, 04:51 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Update on the HUD display issue.

Just purchased another 2017 RX450h and to my surprise the display is now visible during the day with the same polarized sunglasses that made the HUD disappear on my 1st RX450h.

Not just a little improved but greatly improved. Somehow they have change the polarization so that when my head is level the display looks great. I can tilt my head and watch the display go away but straight and it is perfectly visible even at half brightness.

Shows that Lexus is listening and the RX is evolving mid year!

Wondering if Lexus has a solution they could apply to the early RX models.
Old 07-03-17, 06:28 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HUD Flicker

Anyone else notice their HUD flicker? I've noticed this a couple of times at dusk. I couldn't tell if it was from the variations in the background road surface or maybe some adjustment due to the ambient lighting.

I'll see if it occurs while sitting in the driveway or garage.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Old 07-03-17, 07:54 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 880 Likes on 663 Posts

Are you wearing Polarized sunglasses?
The following users liked this post:
Gibster (07-07-17)
Old 07-03-17, 10:51 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I noticed it on the HUD on the prius prime.. Not sure what this means.
Old 07-03-17, 01:38 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

No flicker on any of my HUD screens.

To to the other poster, what do polarized glasses have to do with flicker?
Old 07-03-17, 02:49 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

In my polarized sunglasses, they seem to be polarized to 45 degrees. So if I tilt my head on way, the HUD is brighter. If I tilt the head the other way, it gets darker. Thus, tilting my head right to left would make the HUD get brighter or darker.

Even with the polarized sunglasses I do not see it flicker. Going under a big bridge, I do see the HUD change intensity responding to the change in ambient light.
Old 07-04-17, 04:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
In my polarized sunglasses, they seem to be polarized to 45 degrees. So if I tilt my head on way, the HUD is brighter. If I tilt the head the other way, it gets darker. Thus, tilting my head right to left would make the HUD get brighter or darker.

Even with the polarized sunglasses I do not see it flicker. Going under a big bridge, I do see the HUD change intensity responding to the change in ambient light.
i have two 450h units. It is strange as the first one I can see hardly anything with polarized glasses unless I tilt my head right or left. But the 2nd 450h they must have changed the polarization as I can see the best with my head level and the image fades when I tilt my head one way or another.

Strange indeed that the two vehicles bought months apart have different polarization in the HUD. Would be nice if this was users adjustable.
Old 07-05-17, 07:46 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts
Unhappy

So mine just turned off entirely yesterday (without me doing anything to it). It was fine in the morning, but in the afternoon, it was no longer there. What is worse is that, when I go to the settings, I can't even select it - grayed out. What is going on?!?!?
Old 07-05-17, 08:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yok3dIS
So mine just turned off entirely yesterday (without me doing anything to it). It was fine in the morning, but in the afternoon, it was no longer there. What is worse is that, when I go to the settings, I can't even select it - grayed out. What is going on?!?!?
Sounds like you need to go to the dealer and have them check it out.

You could check your fuses to make sure one did not blow, but even if it did I would want to know why.
Old 07-05-17, 05:03 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Sounds like you need to go to the dealer and have them check it out.

You could check your fuses to make sure one did not blow, but even if it did I would want to know why.
Thanks Greg!

And for those with this feature, remember there is also a button on the left hand side (just under the AC vent) that enables you to turn it on and off... turns out, I accidentally hit it lol, I can be such a noob!
Old 07-06-17, 02:00 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

LOL, you are not the first!

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: When HUD display can't be seen.