RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

When HUD display can't be seen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 07:13 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Might be sunglasses

I experimented a little more yesterday and mcomer might have nailed the cause. There does seem to be some fluctuation in the brightness when I tip my head to one side or the other when wearing sunglasses.

I'll chalk it up to the HUD limitations when wearing polarized sunglasses.
Old 10-05-18, 07:51 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heads Up Display only visible with right eye

Anybody else have this problem. I see the HUD just fine with my right eye.
If I close my right eye, the only thing visible with the left eye is the speed on the right side of the display.

For my initial 5000 mile checkup I reported this. The car was returned with the statement that the display
is only adjustable up/down.

Well, I know that's all the driver can do, but the fact remains that the HUD is not working normally.
Old 10-08-18, 05:51 AM
LexusWest
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do enjoy the HUD, I bought a pair of non-polarized sunglasses that I leave in the car and use just for driving. It works for me.
Old 10-09-18, 01:51 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Anybody else have this problem. I see the HUD just fine with my right eye.
If I close my right eye, the only thing visible with the left eye is the speed on the right side of the display.

For my initial 5000 mile checkup I reported this. The car was returned with the statement that the display
is only adjustable up/down.

Well, I know that's all the driver can do, but the fact remains that the HUD is not working normally.
It sounds like the displayed may be aimed incorrectly or you're sitting very crooked in the seat.

There's no magic to the HUD, just light reflecting on the windscreen - have you tried moving your head side to side to see if that improves the view?
Old 10-09-18, 06:56 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiboater
I posted this in another thread about the hard to see HUD. I have a 2016 Yukon and a 2016 RX-350 both with HUD. The Yukon HUD is bright and there is no issue with bright sun, sunglasses and concrete roads. The Lexus is impossible to see on the same road. I have been paying more attention and the more I drive both of these vehicles I have to believe that this is either a flaw in a lot of Lexus cars or a design issue.

Is anyone happy with their Lexus HUD in sunlight with Polaroid or non-Polaroid sun glasses?
Just completed a 5000 mile trip, and in all conditions I was able to see the HUD with polaroid glasses.
Old 10-11-18, 11:58 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The left eye problem is with me sitting straight up in the seat with my head centered on the headrest.
If I lean to the right, I can see the HUD with both eyes.

I'll probably make an issue of this on my next dealer visit.
Old 12-27-18, 12:13 AM
Sondoan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hud fault

I just a problem with the hud. The corner of hud fading slowly.
I could not see speed meter. But turn it off a while and the hud get back to work normally. Anyone got this problem?
here is film I recorded
Old 12-27-18, 11:05 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Probably overheated. This HUD uses an LCoS panel. The lenses of the HUD in direct sun can magnify the sun light when it hits the right angle, heating the LCD of the LCoS panel. The heated LCD then does not let light through. You can see the same problem if you leave a notebook, tablet or phone in the car’s dash under the sun. The screen turns gray.

I do recommend HUD owners to use a windshield shade to prevent the sun from baking in the panel while the car is parked to minimize these heat issues after starting the car.
Old 12-27-18, 11:57 PM
Sondoan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Probably overheated. This HUD uses an LCoS panel. The lenses of the HUD in direct sun can magnify the sun light when it hits the right angle, heating the LCD of the LCoS panel. The heated LCD then does not let light through. You can see the same problem if you leave a notebook, tablet or phone in the car’s dash under the sun. The screen turns gray.

I do recommend HUD owners to use a windshield shade to prevent the sun from baking in the panel while the car is parked to minimize these heat issues after starting the car.
yes. I think so. But the temperature in that time was not really hot, i drove my car around 15 minutes and the temperature outside was 30c.
Old 12-28-18, 11:21 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

It might not be hot outside, but a warm driver compartment along with sun being focused by into the LCoS panel by the HUD optics might make much hotter than the outside air. It is one possibility, but it might have been caused by something else. In my experience, most of these issues tend to be heat related.

Old 08-28-19, 06:45 PM
arnie1
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default solution for polarized sun glasses

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I agree, this is a huge design oversight.
Tilt you hear slightly and the heads up display will be easy to see.
Old 08-28-19, 11:54 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by arnie1
Tilt you hear slightly and the heads up display will be easy to see.
This reminds me of the time Apple told its customers they were holding their iPhone wrong.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but tilting your heads for long periods is going to give you neck and back problems.
Old 08-29-19, 07:57 AM
907rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The point of polarization is to reduce glare and reflections. The HUD works on this exact principal so it should be no surprise that it is hard to see with Polarized glasses. I have a HUD and I fully expected it to disappear behind my polarized lenses. There’s no way around it, if you want to see your HUD during the day you have to remove the filters that are blocking it from your eyes.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (08-29-19)
Old 08-29-19, 10:25 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 907rx
The point of polarization is to reduce glare and reflections. The HUD works on this exact principal so it should be no surprise that it is hard to see with Polarized glasses. I have a HUD and I fully expected it to disappear behind my polarized lenses. There’s no way around it, if you want to see your HUD during the day you have to remove the filters that are blocking it from your eyes.
???

They could just rotate it 90 degrees and polarized glasses will work great. Other brands have HUDs without this issue.
The following users liked this post:
alhale (07-29-23)
Old 08-29-19, 12:15 PM
907rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
???

They could just rotate it 90 degrees and polarized glasses will work great. Other brands have HUDs without this issue.
Google HUD and polarized glasses and you’ll see it’s the same on BMW’s, Volvo’s, Haundia, etc.

Quick Reply: When HUD display can't be seen.