RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Constantly getting flashed with low beams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 09:05 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
Does the OP have Triple-Beam LEDs or the standard Bi-LED Headlights? Either way, I thought all RX models have auto-leveling headlights. Does that affect the way the lights are projecting? If there is a load in the back, the headlights should tilt down, right?
Apparently only RXs optioned with Triple-Beam Headlamps have the "dynamic auto-leveling" feature.
Old 06-22-16, 06:57 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
Apparently only RXs optioned with Triple-Beam Headlamps have the "dynamic auto-leveling" feature.
Let me see if I've got this straight. There are three different headlight options on the RX.
1) Bi-LED Projector
2) Bi-LED Projector with Adaptive Front Lighting System
3) Triple-Beam Headlamps with "Dynamic Auto-Leveling".

And, it is option (1) and (2) that might be aimed too high. Thoughts?
Old 06-23-16, 10:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
Let me see if I've got this straight. There are three different headlight options on the RX.
There are only two options:

1) Bi-LED Projector
2) Triple-Beam Headlamps with "Dynamic Auto-Leveling".
Old 06-24-16, 03:57 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
There are only two options:

1) Bi-LED Projector
2) Triple-Beam Headlamps with "Dynamic Auto-Leveling".
So, which models have AFS? I found this in the owners manual:

Is this a Canada only feature?
Old 06-26-16, 07:26 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
I

Taking it into the dealer this week to check it out.
any updates?
Old 02-16-18, 11:25 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts
Default RX Headlight Focus

When we purchased our ‘16 RX 450h, we found out the next night that the headlights were focused WAY down. Street signs & stop signs were either half illuminated or not at all. We took it back & the advisor fussed that they weren’t allowed to touch that. I said: This is a safety hazard - I can’t read any signs at night. They immediately took it back & adjusted the lights. Everything seemed fine for several months & suddenly I’m getting people flashing their brights at me. I looked in the owner’s manual & lists an adjustment side to side. I thought the driver’s side should be adjusted towards the passenger side, so I wasn’t blasting oncoming traffic. I couldn’t reach the adjustment with my tools, so I took it back to the dealer. They said the lights are adjusted correctly & that there is no side to side adjustment. I’m constantly being blasted with brights from oncoming cars! How do I fix this? Anyone else have this issue with the standard headlights?
Old 02-16-18, 10:19 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

You might want to turn them down a little bit. If you look at the top black plastic cover there are three stamps for adjusting the lights. But the only one you need to be involved with is the "U-D" adjustment with their corresponding clockwise(CW) UP arrow and counter-clockwise (CCW) DOWN arrow adjustments. If you look underneath the top black plastic cover you will actually see the adjustment wheel with a red dot marking on it. It's not an exact science but what I did is do one full turn at a time. In your case, since you want to come down with your headlights focus, you need to do CCW (looking down on the hole or looking the screw driver from its handle end) one full turn on each headlight. Do a test run for a couple of days and see if lets you see far enough and not too far enough to blind oncoming traffic. I have a small small masking tape on each side to take note of the adjustments I made if I ever decide to get back to the original settings.
Old 02-17-18, 06:41 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

No doubt they adjusted them too high. You LED light have a very hard cutoff and should not be adjusted so high as to read street signs. If you are illuminating street signs, you are blinding oncoming drivers.
Old 02-17-18, 12:41 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Is this the triple beam LED headlight?

The Lexus triple beam LEDs have a very sharp cut off. This might lead you to think that the headlights are aimed down, but that's actually where they are designed to aim, which is stipulated by gov't requirements. If you're coming from a different headlight setup, it's because the light was dispersing everywhere which made it appear as though street signs are supposed to be lit.
Old 02-18-18, 06:12 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
No doubt they adjusted them too high. You LED light have a very hard cutoff and should not be adjusted so high as to read street signs. If you are illuminating street signs, you are blinding oncoming drivers.
Ahhhh...what’s the point of having headlights if you can’t read street signs? Honestly, our GTI has great headlights & I can read the street signs & no one flashes me. My old Acura from many moons ago had the best headlights ever! They were HID & they weren’t these ridiculous projector lenses. I could see WAY down the road & no one flashed me. Automakers screwed the pooch when they moved to projection headlamps. Very few work as intended. Many have mechanical lenses that move up & down from low beam to high beam. Good luck getting those set right.
Old 02-18-18, 06:18 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by computerwi
Is this the triple beam LED headlight?

The Lexus triple beam LEDs have a very sharp cut off. This might lead you to think that the headlights are aimed down, but that's actually where they are designed to aim, which is stipulated by gov't requirements. If you're coming from a different headlight setup, it's because the light was dispersing everywhere which made it appear as though street signs are supposed to be lit.
No, I don’t have the triple beams. They look like a big magnifying glass on each side of the car. They are damn near worthless.

Old 02-20-18, 06:53 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

here is some good reading of where your headlights should be adjusted to.

https://itstillruns.com/adjust-hid-h...s-7442783.html
Old 02-22-18, 04:01 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

No, I don’t have the triple beams. They look like a big magnifying glass on each side of the car. They are damn near worthless.

Is there anything you actually like about your RX?
Old 02-22-18, 04:31 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Is there anything you actually like about your RX?
I still like it & I’m not disgusted with it. I’m not looking to trade it either. The list of “likes” has grown smaller & the list of “disappointments” has grown longer. Maybe changing dealers for any further service will improve things. I’m not a rabid fanboy as I once was.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 09:01 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

As much as I love the looks of the triple beam headlights, I feel that the cutoff line is so sharp that it's difficult to see upcoming turns, street signs, deer, etc. unless I have the high beams on.

Quick Reply: Constantly getting flashed with low beams?