RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Does your 2016 RX 350 have Excessive noise and vibration?
Yes, I do have problem
34.41%
No, I don't have problem
65.59%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Does your 2016 RX 350 have Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 05:47 AM
michelle35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walt, How much would you say has it improved since adding the dampers?
I've only had my vehicle two weeks and I'm considering talking to the dealership about returning it. If the dampers make it a vast improvement, I may keep the vehicle and wait
for Lexus to come up with a permanent solution.
Old 11-17-16, 07:38 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Does your RX vibrate too? I thought you have a 450H? The parts is cheap and easy to install. I wouldnt even try to fight the dealer about the warranty. I order mine from lexuspartsnow dot com

I just call Lexus of gwennitt in Atlanta. I asked the Service rep if he heard any body complain about the RX noise/vibration. Answer was NO. Hard for me to believe

The best I can describe the "issue" to be is that the droning and pedal vibrations are a bit annoying from idle until the car shifts to a higher gear. Specially noticeable in stop and go traffic where you can't accelerate fast enough to move past the droning. I have complained to the dealer about this droning/vibration in my 450H as well. They also said to never heard of such issues. This is my 3rd new RX and I can say is not as smooth as the previous versions. Which SUCKS because I love everything else about this gen RX. URGH! They told me to come in and take a ride with a technician. But I've spent enough time in service as it is and I've only owned the car for less than 6 mos! Between having to make trips to have floor boards installed, wipers adjustments from chaffing the windshield and having my awful Bridgestones replaced... So I'm just going to wait for the 5K service. Hope Lexus acknowledges the issue and provide a fix for those who bring the vehicles in at least.
Old 11-17-16, 01:09 PM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None
2016 F-Sport AWD with all options including pano roof.
Old 11-18-16, 05:08 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Took my 2014 GS for a oil change and requested for a 2016 RX350 loaner. The loaner I got was a FWD Fully loaded model. The first thing i noticed was from a standstill the engine was quiet but once I start accelerating it sounds like rattling and rough drivetrain. Once the vehicle reaches above 3rd gear and moving along at 40+ mphs the drivetrain noises went away. Everything about the car was great exept for the NVH of the vehicle at low speeds.

The new gen RX has better steering characteristics. When turning i can tell the suspension is doing a great job at reducing body lean/roll unless of course I drive it like a race car then there was some lean/roll. This is much improved from the floaty boaty of the last gen RX. Technology in this new RX is awesome very impressed.

Now if lexus fixes the drive train issues i will wait a bit longer before i go ahead and buy this car.
Old 11-18-16, 06:16 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 16RX excessive noise and vibration

None Whatsoever! Have about 6000 miles and no problems.

I have purchased 6 new Lexus vehicles over the years. On this forum, on each vehicle, many people complain about noise, vibration, pulling to the right, etc. All of the ones I have owned have never had a problem and have never been to the shop for anything except scheduled maintenance. I do not think I am the only "Lucky" one. Maybe some of you expect more out of your vehicle than others. I have other vehicles, Toyota Avalon Limited, Toyota P/U, and you can really hear the road noise in those vehicles, but they do not vibrate or pull to the right. Between my wife and I we have owned 25 Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Each have been trouble free and have delivered the ride we expected. I drive on country roads, city streets,and many miles on the Interstate.
Old 11-18-16, 01:23 PM
lnpadhy
Driver School Candidate

Hi Walt,
I have the same problem of Exhaust Drone Noise Vibration Issue and and went to dealer couple of times. Now they said the following and replaced the following parts. I am still getting the same noise. Is this you are asking to replace the exhaust pipe or the whole exhaust system?

Cause: ALL VIBRATIONS/NOISES PRESENT ARE CHARASTIC OF THIS VEHICLEAND THEREFORE NORMAL.
IMPROVEMENT MADE FOR CUSTOMERSATISFACTION PURPOSES ONLY.RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT OF CENTER EXHAUST PIPE.
Correction: COMPLETED THE REPLACEMENT OF CENTER EXHAUST PIPE.170151/C 0.9

Part Number Part Description
LE17451-0D140 GASKET, EXHAUST P
LE90917-A6001 GASKET, EXHAUST P
LE17581-70090 DAMPER, EXHAUST P
LE17571-31220 BRACKET, EXHAUST
LE17420-0P250 PIPE ASSY, EXHAUS LE
88710-0E400 TUBE & ACCESSORY
LE7335337 2 1/2 EXHAUST CLA

Thanks,
Old 11-18-16, 06:29 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
None Whatsoever! Have about 6000 miles and no problems.

I have purchased 6 new Lexus vehicles over the years. On this forum, on each vehicle, many people complain about noise, vibration, pulling to the right, etc. All of the ones I have owned have never had a problem and have never been to the shop for anything except scheduled maintenance. I do not think I am the only "Lucky" one. Maybe some of you expect more out of your vehicle than others. I have other vehicles, Toyota Avalon Limited, Toyota P/U, and you can really hear the road noise in those vehicles, but they do not vibrate or pull to the right. Between my wife and I we have owned 25 Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Each have been trouble free and have delivered the ride we expected. I drive on country roads, city streets,and many miles on the Interstate.
Dont get us wrong we all love the 2016 RX 350. The only problem I see it has is the drivetrain noise. No other lexus i have owned or test driven has this problem. They were all smooth riding. And if thats the only problem this car has than its certainly a great car. I think not all RX350s have this problem. Maby you got that batch that was put together a little better.
Old 11-19-16, 08:10 AM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy to hear you have had such a great experience with Toyota and Lexus vehicles. However, my concerns are with the 2016 Lexus RX350 which I currently own.
It is a great vehicle with the exception of the engine drone when accelerating at low speeds.
The dealers acknowlege there is an issue. However, Lexus corporate does not.
My first and last Lexus.
Old 11-19-16, 10:45 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I agree that there is a problem. Lexus has known about this for a full model year and had not released a solution yet. Looks like they are brushing it under carpet

this is probably not a simple solution since the combination of the 8 speed with the Atkinson engine has a rated fuel economy in this configuration. Any deviation from that might impact the fuel economy and emission ratings. That's is a big deal. Think VW

However, Lexus is not the only company that brushes problem under carpet. Many of the premium brands ( German, Japanese our American) do the same.
Old 11-23-16, 10:59 AM
lefty75
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus isn't going to do anything until they get threatened with a lawsuit, to the guy or gal above that doesn't have this issue, thank your lucky stars.
Old 11-23-16, 10:53 PM
jnghiem005
Driver School Candidate

SOME GOOD NEWS! I have a good friend that's a master mechanic at a Lexus dealership. I started *****ing about he the problems i have with my 16' RX350 concerning the Transmission lag problem and also the vibration droning issue. He said lexus is aware of the issues and it will be fixed. Lexus plans to tackle the transmission issue first (really soon i'm told) and then address the vibration problem later on. There won't be recalls or notices to customers, but the problems will be fixed when cars are brought in for their services.
Old 11-24-16, 06:29 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the " excessive vibration and noise" exactly? Does it feel like tires that vibrate because they are out of balance or poor wheel alignment? Is it severe shaking and vibration of the steering wheel which would leave no doubt or is it more subtle? Apparently, it is a condition that occurs at different speeds in the RX 350/450 and can be in AWD of FWD. Short of driving a vehicle with this condition, I'm unable to know exactly what the condition is. For example, I feel a slight vibration in the gas pedal but I'm not sure if it is the result of the road or a problem with the vehicle. Tough to pin down.
Old 11-24-16, 08:12 AM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The vibration only happen when you are going steady speed with the engine at 1400rpm. It feel like if your driving a manual transmission in 5th or 6gear but only going 20mph.
Old 04-07-17, 10:07 AM
Koogone
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down 2017 RX 350 exhaust drone vibration

I just traded in a 2015 RX-350 and purchased a new 2017 RX 350. It has two major problems causing the car to vibrate, "Exhaust drone noise vibration" and "transmission lag". Both of these problems take all the enjoyment out of driving a new car. Lexus service stated that Lexus is aware of these issues is working on a solution. However, this has been going on since the 2016 model came out. The local dealership told me that when Lexus extended the length and increased the horsepower from the 2015 model this problem surfaced HUH?????????

I have filed a complaint with Lexus "customer satisfaction" and would suggest that anyone else that has this same issue also file a complaint.
Old 04-07-17, 02:11 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Koogone
I just traded in a 2015 RX-350 and purchased a new 2017 RX 350. It has two major problems causing the car to vibrate, "Exhaust drone noise vibration" and "transmission lag". Both of these problems take all the enjoyment out of driving a new car. Lexus service stated that Lexus is aware of these issues is working on a solution. However, this has been going on since the 2016 model came out. The local dealership told me that when Lexus extended the length and increased the horsepower from the 2015 model this problem surfaced HUH?????????

I have filed a complaint with Lexus "customer satisfaction" and would suggest that anyone else that has this same issue also file a complaint.
I also filed a complaint for the same issue. One of the problems is that they contact the dealer who said the vehicle is operating
up to spec. I convinced Lexus to have a Master Tech look at the car. My appt. is April 24. He will probably say its normal.
That said a coworking brought his wifes 2016 RX in and it is definitely smoother than mine. I'll make sure we compare a couple
on the lot with mine. People really need to keep calling and complaining. Eventually they will have to address the issue.

Quick Reply: Does your 2016 RX 350 have Excessive noise and vibration