RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 10:51 PM
EvanJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO

I bought a fully loaded brand new RX350 last Friday and suppose to be happy and enjoy my weekend, but the car broke down the next day after I drove for 10km, at 39km ODO. It took two days for the dealer to figure out what was the problem and then I was told it was ECU issue. I could live with it if it is cosmetic problem, but it is not. Hard to believe, but yes I am the bad luck guy. Buying a car should not be like drawing a lottery. The dealer told me that they never seen case like this before and I believe them. I also believe that the dealer can still make a decent profit after they replace my vehicle with another new one; But they do not want to give up a portion of the profile that they made from me, not even for such very rare case. I called Lexus Canada customer service but found it is worse than the customer service of my $80 Bissell vacuum cleaner; They woman on the phone told me "Ok, I will inform the dealership that you filed a complain" ; I asked "is that all you can do"; she simply replied yes. During the call, she did not say sorry or show understanding to my frustration. the feeling was like "We are Lexus and I do not care about you. there are people lining up for our cars"; worst worst car buying experience ever.
Attached Thumbnails Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO-img_0626.jpg   Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO-img_0625.jpg   Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO-img_0624.jpg   Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO-img_0623.jpg   Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO-img_0622.jpg  

Old 06-01-16, 11:13 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow, that's like 1 day worth of driving for some people
Old 06-01-16, 11:20 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear about your trouble . I am seriously looking to buy a fully loaded rx350. but after reading about the vibration, AC noise and now your problem. I am going to hold on to my money a little longer maybe for a 2017. you are right, they think they are LEXUS and they don't care. they probably think. if you don't like it, then go else where. I feel like that when i walk in some lexus dealer.
Old 06-02-16, 04:54 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

People have been saying it for years that Lexus is bland boring and outdated in tech and design all for the sake of reliability and we all compared to BMW and Mercedes about how much better tech and better designs they have.

Finally Lexus answered our call and gave us a Modern design with state of the art tech and engineering and all of the sudden lexus is building cars like BMWs now! For the good and for the worst.

One of the byproducts of putting so much tech into a car and releaseing a radical design is at the expense of reliability. We got what we deserve lol. Lexus is no longer as bulletproof anymore compared to its boring past. Its ironic how we finally have a revolution of sorts at Lexus and now we complain about how unreliable it is.

I hope Lexus will step up and fix your issues or give you a new car. My BMW through like a million codes of engine malfunction within 2 months of purchase and that BMW cost me $90,000 so dont feel bad. Any manufactuer has a possibily of producing a lemon. Dont give up, keep complaining and documenting everything and eventually they will give in and give you a new car at there expense. I have seen many people gain success by complaining and complain again and again to lexus corporate and lexus local eventually they get so sick of hearing your voice and seeing your face that giving into your request will bring them relief. Trust me it works!
Old 06-02-16, 05:26 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

This is why I avoid first year vehicles, the issues that some owners are having are common to first year vehicles from any brand. Problem is we have all been spoiled by Lexus in the past so we expect a higher level of reliability and customer service.

BTW, don't get me wrong. I am not defending Lexus and I am not down playing any of the issues the OP or any other owner is having, because if it happened to me I would be pissed too. Especially after owning the RX for only a day..

But I do think that after they have had time to get the "bugs worked out", the 2017 and beyond RX's will be back to the standards we are accustomed to, at least I hope so.

Good luck OP, I hope everything gets fixed to your satisfaction.

Last edited by JT4; 06-02-16 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-02-16, 09:10 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I have my experience with Lexus Canada Customer "service" and must say that they ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CARE. Their attitude towards the customer is that they did us a favor by allowing us to buy their car at $85,000. Even if you have issues, deal with it.

They call everything Normal and to be expected. That is their way out of customer service.

Very disappointed in Lexus Canada Customer service.
Old 06-02-16, 09:47 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Might be similar to the issue this NX owner had:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ts-before.html
Old 06-02-16, 11:46 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Wow 24miles! That's not even the closest distance to the nearest Lexus dealer for me!
I would be beyond pissed off if I the brand new car I just picked up from the dealer couldn't even make it home. Ask for a lemon.
Old 06-02-16, 12:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Sorry to hear your story OP. Hopefully it gets better.

The 2016 RX is a first year car that is experiencing 1st year model year bugs. However to be frank, this is the reality of the myth that Lexus tends to play out all day long.

For some reason or the other, People have taken a fact, which is that compared to other Industry Titans like BMW and Mercedes Lexus vehicles are basically above the average in reliability, and turned it into, my vehicle is not made by error prone humans but made by perfect engineers hence no wrong can happen on Lexus vehicles and launches.

The reality is that the RX compared to new launches from Volvo, and Audi is in fact quite reliable. The number of problems experienced by the XC90 and Q7 this year (which is Year 1 of both launches) is far severe and greater then a couple issues the RX has. Leaking panoramic Sunroofs, dead vehicles, phantom radio operation, highway speedometer reset etc etc. Compared to an ECU limp mode, and ac vibration of the RX.

Now in regards to the Customer Satisfaction experience, just like they`re safeguards for consumers there are safeguards to businesses. Now as a company that prides itself in keeping the customer happy I have seen Lexus go crazy trying to please their customers but only if every other avenue has been usually exhausted, and/or the dealership the customer is working extra hard to get a deserving customer into a solution they are looking for.

Having gone through a similar experience with a different marque heres some tips:

1) Find out what consumer protection laws are applicable in your scenario. If their is a Lemon Law in your area, find the details and maybe consult a lemon law attorney (only if your believe you are at that point and have met the criteria for it).

2) Make sure you have documented every single instance you have gone to the SA. And I dont mean, customer requested a check up all good. I mean hopefully you got the SA to document the exact issue on the service info. Get copies if possible for your records

3) Once you met the criteria work with the dealer to get a resolution. Push em with kindness. Dont be d-bag expecting the world, but dont be push over as well. Its your hard earned money, your concerns should be addressed without being dismissed.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-02-16, 01:37 PM
EvanJ
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your tips and thoughts. I am tired with it and will live with it. I would be less angry if it broke down after few months or even weeks, so I can at least enjoy my excitement with my new purchase for few days. For many people who live far from the dealership, they wont be able to make it home. I would also be less angry if the agent at Lexus Canada shows she cares or have few words to comfort me. I controlled my emotion and be patient and gentle when speaking to her, but she was just like these clock in and clock out employees which do not care much. I bought Lexus because its liability and service. Liability is a question mark to me. For service, I learned hard way.
Old 06-02-16, 04:39 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanJ
Thank you all for your tips and thoughts. I am tired with it and will live with it. I would be less angry if it broke down after few months or even weeks, so I can at least enjoy my excitement with my new purchase for few days. For many people who live far from the dealership, they wont be able to make it home. I would also be less angry if the agent at Lexus Canada shows she cares or have few words to comfort me. I controlled my emotion and be patient and gentle when speaking to her, but she was just like these clock in and clock out employees which do not care much. I bought Lexus because its liability and service. Liability is a question mark to me. For service, I learned hard way.
I agree that Lexus Canada does NOT stand for customer service, at all.
Old 06-02-16, 06:56 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP ... Sorry to hear about your experience. This is where Lexus customer service gets to take their test and I am curious to see how well they'll do. So keep us posted.
Old 06-02-16, 06:59 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I agree that Lexus Canada does NOT stand for customer service, at all.
IMHO ...

Lexus = Unparalleled Customer Service
Mercedes = Prestige or status that comes with a badge
BMW = Performance & handling

So, if Lexus can't deliver on CS then what the heck is it that differentiates them?

I never really bought the "Lexus is a more reliable luxury brand" view since they're far less complicated automobiles compared to a Benz or a BMW (which I feel are over-engineered anyway).
Old 06-02-16, 08:57 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

If they are able to fix the problem and its a major problem, i'd demand they extend the warranty on the car.
Old 06-03-16, 11:08 AM
EvanJ
Driver School Candidate

Finally got my car back after 5 days in dealership; Below is what they offered me; The $200 credit offered by Lexus Canada toward maintenance will expire in 30 days if I do not use them. Seriously? I almost laugh. The manager at dealer promised me over phone that they WILL replace my vehicle with brand new one if major problem happens again, but in his confirmation email it became "we will discuss replacing....". sounds like playing wording game. Anyways, they have wasted too much of my time and I have completely lost loyalty and confidence to Lexus. One of my friend decided to buy Audi after he learned this. I will update if the car breaks again, hopefully not.

"Thank-you once again for your patience in resolving the issue with your new 2016 RX 350. We have resolved the issue with ECU connection and the vehicle is now operating normally. As discussed I am writing to confirm that should you have a major issue with the powertrain or its electronic control modules within your first 5,000km of ownership, we will discuss replacing your vehicle with the same 2016 RX 350.

Furthermore we have credited your account with us with a $400 credit towards future maintenance (this includes the $200 credit from Lexus Canada).

You can trust that our team is here to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your Lexus for years to come.

Best Regards,"

Quick Reply: Brand New RX350 Broke down at 33KM ODO