RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson strange sound.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 11:45 PM
podlesnick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson strange sound.

So I finally have my RX 450h Luxury.
I am kind of disappointed by ML sound system. When set to default location schema (enabled surround, middle from both directions) I can hear music mostly from front like it were no surround. When I move it to cca 65 % to back it sound better, but still it sounds like there is no sound from left or right.
Do you have the same experience?
Old 05-19-16, 12:43 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive noticed the same thing... i had to set the balance way back but then the back passengers felt it was really loud...
It does not sound surround to me.
Old 05-19-16, 04:13 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

just one remark... before 4rx I had 3rx and the surround worked great. The new sound system is a real disappointment. I try to play the same music and the old one is better - no doubt.
Old 05-19-16, 06:43 AM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by podlesnick
just one remark... before 4rx I had 3rx and the surround worked great. The new sound system is a real disappointment. I try to play the same music and the old one is better - no doubt.
Your old one, was it Mark L also?
Old 05-19-16, 07:25 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Your old one, was it Mark L also?
that is right - iit is also ML. I have it back on my yard, can compare it all the time
Old 05-19-16, 07:28 AM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem on my 4RX but without the ML system. I don't think it's the ML system that is the problem but just the general speaker set up in general. I don't know sound technology well enough to really say but maybe it could just be the acoustic effect of the placement of the speaker?.
Old 05-19-16, 09:01 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

maybe the problem is in speaker configuration. anyway, i am so disappointed, thinking of returning the car
Old 05-19-16, 09:16 AM
s2000zr
Driver

maybe the problem is in speaker configuration. anyway, i am so disappointed, thinking of returning the car

They will let you return it, after you bought it?
Old 05-19-16, 10:03 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

Originally Posted by s2000zr
They will let you return it, after you bought it?
i dont know, i will try it, or just sell it.
Old 05-19-16, 10:06 AM
s2000zr
Driver

At least do the 4rx ML sound better than the regular 4rx?
Old 05-19-16, 10:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

podlesnick, I'm coming from a 3RX with ML, it's definitely not the same. The sound is more front based like you said. I still need to play around with the settings and listen from different angles to see if I can figure it out. One thing I may also do is consult with an old school installer I've known for years to see what he would suggest. I can tell you as someone who's done stereo upgrades in the past, the amount of money to tweak the system will be less than the loss in selling. You might want to explore that option.
Old 05-19-16, 10:43 AM
gorcorps
Driver School Candidate

Is this something you didn't try before buying and noticed after the fact, or has something degraded over the time you've had it?
Old 05-19-16, 01:19 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 3Rxh did not have ML and it sounded "ok." The 4Rxh is much better IMHO, especially because my wife thinks so! I did, however, immediately think it was front-loaded; I couldn't hear the rear speakers at all. I played around with it and (since I'm mostly by myself in the vehicle) faded it to the rear a little to balance the sound. I also cranked up the equalizer handles on all the settings to the max then backed off a bit on treble and bass. It sounds much better that way, even tho the audiofile in me screams that it shouldn't be that way.
Old 05-19-16, 01:58 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I love ML on my 4RX. Sound's good on music from USB, and sound really good with CD. And it's best watching DVD, it''s sound better then home surround sound system.
Old 05-20-16, 04:57 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Please keep in mind that sound setting features on your phone, app, and ipod devices will affect how the sound is played out of the speakers of the vehicle. I dont have a RX yet but i have a 2014 GS 350 with ML and for the longest time I thought my stereo was broken until i messed around with my sound settings and turned off all sound enhancement settings on the phone and now my music sounds perfect. With all those sound settings on in my phone made the music sound too front biased and had distortion.

Make sure all sound enhancement features, fade adjustments and equalization settings are properly adjusted on source device before sending music playing through your cars bluetooth or usb.

In the case of my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 i need to turn off these three sound enhancement settings that were on before i realized it. Settings shown at bottom picture.

1. UHD Upscaler OFF
2. SoundAlive+ OFF
3. Tube Amp Pro OFF

Also note that you need to give the ML system HD music files for this system to shine. Regular MP3s will not cut it even music files bought from itunes are not the best quality. You need files downloaded in lossless Flac or equivalent to hear all the sonic detail of the music. I use an music app called Tidal app, it offers you the ability to download all your music in HD CD QUALITY Flac lossless files which sounds great!

<br >

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 05-20-16 at 06:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson strange sound.