RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson strange sound.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 02:52 PM
Lchuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitely Disappointed

I have ave the same issue. Front biased and seems speakers on the door are non-existent. I’ve tried everything to make it sound better. I had a MDX prior. Stereo was great as well as several other things that I miss. I can say that the BT input on the Lexus is good. I typically did not use BT on the MDX because the dynamic range was noticeably worse compared to the wired input. At least that is one +.

It it is VERY aggravating when my son who drives a Mazda repeatedly tells me his stereo is better and is right!

WHY??? So disappointing.

Originally Posted by podlesnick
So I finally have my RX 450h Luxury.
I am kind of disappointed by ML sound system. When set to default location schema (enabled surround, middle from both directions) I can hear music mostly from front like it were no surround. When I move it to cca 65 % to back it sound better, but still it sounds like there is no sound from left or right.
Do you have the same experience?
Old 03-31-19, 03:15 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with the front bias issue - adjusting the balance levels one or two notches to the back has helped make it sound more surround but you will have to turn the volume up more to get the same loudness. Not a perfect solution but an improvement in my mind.
Old 03-31-19, 11:33 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

That's the ML staging effect. They do too good of a job to make the sound appear to come from the front. You can turn that off in the Sound Settings by turning off Surround. I just adjusted the balance a little to the back to make it sound more surround than just coming from the front.
Old 03-31-19, 05:29 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Lchuang
I have ave the same issue. Front biased and seems speakers on the door are non-existent. I’ve tried everything to make it sound better. I had a MDX prior. Stereo was great as well as several other things that I miss. I can say that the BT input on the Lexus is good. I typically did not use BT on the MDX because the dynamic range was noticeably worse compared to the wired input. At least that is one +.

It it is VERY aggravating when my son who drives a Mazda repeatedly tells me his stereo is better and is right!

WHY??? So disappointing.
I wasn't a big fan of the system until I played around with settings - turning OFF surround made a big improvement I felt, also adjusted the bass up as it does lack that a little with the small subwoofer. I don't believe in this surround crap anyway, you're not in a cinema, it's music and that should come from the front like a "sound stage". Plus Bluetooth will not be as good as using the USB or AUX input. Doesn't matter how good a system is if you put a rubbish signal in you get an amplified rubbish signal out.

I think that the ML system sounds great, more volume would be nice sometimes but this system is about quality not quantity.
Old 12-09-19, 02:55 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2020 Rear passenger low volume (Odd sounds)

Hello!

I recently got a 2020 RX with the Mark Levinson system and have a couple of question for everyone that knows the system better.

The rear passenger speaker is quite low with surround sound on or off, tried both setting and the small speaker (the tiny speakers on the upper door, not at the feet area) sounds really quiet.

Is it just me or does surround sound off sound better than surround sound on? Some of the music sounds muted with the surround sound on.

Thank you.
Old 12-09-19, 04:15 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceBanana
Hello!

I recently got a 2020 RX with the Mark Levinson system and have a couple of question for everyone that knows the system better.

The rear passenger speaker is quite low with surround sound on or off, tried both setting and the small speaker (the tiny speakers on the upper door, not at the feet area) sounds really quiet.

Is it just me or does surround sound off sound better than surround sound on? Some of the music sounds muted with the surround sound on.

Thank you.
Your bearing is not deceiving you. The system DOES sound better with the surround set to off. Better imaging and better timbre. The rear speakers are merely rear fill, and aren’t meant to produce the same volume as the front speakers. This is how most well setup sq systems are set. Your system is playing correctly. If it is a single speaker in question, that may be an issue. Check your balance. I’ve read many complaints about the ML system, but I think it’s unjustified. The system is what it is, but many don’t seem to understand the systems goals. It’s supposed to project the sound across the dash and front glass, not to out you in the middle of the sound, which is why the rears are purposefully at a lower volume. Hope you get it sorted out. I enjoy it a lot in my 2018!